iPad Pro case suggestion? (Read 6166 times)

mangosteenqueen

iPad Pro case suggestion?
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:53:03 PM »
Recently I received a 10.5" iPad Pro as a gift with a basic 3 fold leathery-y screen cover. The thing is that my friend and I are planning on a overnight hunting trip on my family farm and I want to use the iPad to take pictures.
The chances are: It's going to be bouncing around, and it's most likely going to get wet from rain during the patrol.
What 10.5" iPad Pro cases would you recommend that has both impact and water resistance?

mrgaf

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
Recently I received a 10.5" iPad Pro as a gift with a basic 3 fold leathery-y screen cover. The thing is that my friend and I are planning on a overnight hunting trip on my family farm and I want to use the iPad to take pictures.
The chances are: It's going to be bouncing around, and it's most likely going to get wet from rain during the patrol.
What 10.5" iPad Pro cases would you recommend that has both impact and water resistance?
Take a look at otterbox or incipio. I lean more to the otterbox.....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Jl808

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »
Lifeproof but they don't have one for the 10.5" iPads yet.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:48 AM »
Not the cheapest, but definitely the best cover I've used.  I tried the Apple magnetic cover, a nice leather book-style cover, and this one after I saw a coworker's. 

Super protective, and you can place decals, pictures of the kids, or anything else in back of the iPad and view it through the cover. 

https://www.amazon.com/STM-Plus-Ultra-Protective-Apple/dp/B072XX8HWB/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1504174977&sr=8-7&keywords=STM%2BDux%2BUltra%2BProtective%2BCase%2Bfor%2BiPad&th=1

Here's a video for the Pro Cover in other sizes, but still the same design and features.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
I work in construction and I have to carry around an iPad Air. The company I am contracted out to has assigned about 40 iPads to their employees. All of them are out in the field/construction site 8+ hours a day and get abused pretty good. They are all protected by an Otter Box. The only problems we have had over the last 2+ years of hard use and abuse has been internal failures of 2 iPads and is not related to the ability of the case to protect the iPad. I have dropped this iPad a few times and it is still undamaged. Also, due to an accessory (IR Camera) I had to plug into the charging port, I had to remove the Otter Box because the Otter Box covered enough of the iPad that it interfered with plugging in the camera as I did not have the extension that is supposed to rectify this problem. After 2 years of hard use, the iPad looked as good as new after removing the Otter Box. It does an excellent job of protecting the iPad. Including from light rain and exposure to small amounts of moisture.

I also use an Otter Box to protect my iPhone. I have had 2 iPhones and 3 Otter Boxes over the last 6+ years. I dropped my iPhone from a 20' high structure and it survived unscathed.

While no case can be a complete protective system, I can attest to the toughness and the protective nature of the Otter Box.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
Consider a small waterproof camera instead of hauling around a 10inch tablet.
I use a Fuji xp80 for stills and video. New model is XP120.
Fits in your pocket, rugged and waterproof to 50ft.
See pic.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 07:16:16 AM »
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Jl808

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »
Oldfart has a good point. No sense bringing an iPad which would get damaged if wet in the rain and mud.  None of the cases above are waterproof.

Lifeproof cases claim to be waterproof but I would not trust it completely because their quality control has been going down on their newer cases.

I use a watershot case with my iPhone and that one I would trust to be waterproof (for use in scuba diving).
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

rklapp

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
I agree that water and electronics are a bad combo. They claim to be waterproof but I admit that I haven't poured water over mine to find out. It has been dropped many times with no problems. Check out the warranty and keep the receipt/documentation in case it does fail.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

mangosteenqueen

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »
I did manage to fit my ipad into a ziploc bag and the touch screen works with the cost of photo quality when I take pictures. I will have to take the ipad out to take pictures. We'll be doing mostly early-late evening/overnight hunting and I managed to get a night vision app that works pretty well.

I usually use a old Nikon D40 dslr when I'm out hunting but with my current lenses it does not favor low light photos very well and I want to see if I can expand my capabilities with an ipad night vision app. Obviously it'll be my first time taking a tablet as a camera for a hunt so I want as much protection as I can get before I do anything stupider.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:29:24 PM by mangosteenqueen »

mangosteenqueen

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
After some thought I'll either be getting the Otterbox or the STM Dux, put it in a large ziploc and into my backpack that's paired up with my chest rig.
I don't go out hunting very often nor do I hang around large bodies of water besides a puddle and rain, so I don't expect the ipad to be seeing hard use like construction work however I still want a good case mainly for impact and light rain.

At least that's what I have in mind as of now.

Inspector

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
After some thought I'll either be getting the Otterbox or the STM Dux, put it in a large ziploc and into my backpack that's paired up with my chest rig.
I don't go out hunting very often nor do I hang around large bodies of water besides a puddle and rain, so I don't expect the ipad to be seeing hard use like construction work however I still want a good case mainly for impact and light rain.

At least that's what I have in mind as of now.
The Otter Box has a film that covers the screen. It may not work if you put it in a ziplock bag also. Might be worth a try tho.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

mangosteenqueen

Re: iPad Pro case suggestion?
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
The Otter Box has a film that covers the screen. It may not work if you put it in a ziplock bag also. Might be worth a try tho.

Huh I never considered that. Oh well if it doesn't work out at least I'll have a durable case and it'll be protected from water until i need to access it for pictures.