Being "around" Japan many times and "living" there is a big difference, especially when you speak the language. They are a very polite and kind people MOST of the time but as with everything there are exceptions to the rule. I lived the culture, speak the language fluently, my wife of 47 years is from Japan and studied their history and culture quite intensely. Live amongst them for 14-15 years straight and as a gaijin, you will come away from the experience quite different than you would if your just visiting for a period of time. Sorry, I disagree with your assessments but respect your observations......
The “they are very polite and kind people most of the time” was most of my point. Yeah, there are always exceptions to the rule. Just not quite “no politeness”, at least that I personally observed or experienced.
My comment about understanding the culture was how it was explained to me when I noticed what I thought were differences. Not that I considered myself some expert. Yeah, some what I experienced would be considered rude if we were in the US. But when in Rome.
Anyways, the way people explained it that made sense to me, not that it was the absolute truth for everyone. From my sister who was in JET, many of her JET friends, folks who have done 3-5 year tours in Japan, etc. None with your extensive resume and expertise on the matter, but I’ve also had the same discussion with folks that are from Japan, including my GF (born and raised there, but lived in US almost a third of her life and her family.
I understand that everyone has different tolerance for things. While I am generally laid back, I absolutely hate crowds and lines, which isn’t a good combination for Asia.
Well, I have a chance to test my tolerance for what happens in rush hour trains as I’ll be going back there for work soon. I’ll be going to work everyday via the train. Shinagawa to Yokosuka and Shinjuku, so some pretty large and packed stations.