Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5 (Read 22525 times)

dirtylickins

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1619
  • Total likes: 141
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Trust me when I say it was the ammo. I see it on the regular with many different firearms with that specific ammo especially on a fresh spring I've even seen it ON VP9 and other name brands forget about it even chambering on some 1911. seen it even with some 223 AR's. The gun is stiff right now being new coupled with that ammo. I will meet you at xring if you would like and assist you and wife to get that GLOCK° running with PERFECTION. Shucks I'll buy the box of ammo even. Let me know I'm good for it. Ask around

Aktmoises

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »
Trust me when I say it was the ammo. I see it on the regular with many different firearms with that specific ammo especially on a fresh spring I've even seen it ON VP9 and other name brands forget about it even chambering on some 1911. seen it even with some 223 AR's. The gun is stiff right now being new coupled with that ammo. I will meet you at xring if you would like and assist you and wife to get that GLOCK° running with PERFECTION. Shucks I'll buy the box of ammo even. Let me know I'm good for it. Ask around

I’m pretty sure you nailed it on the head bro! I gotta wait for a day off to go back and put more rounds though it! I’ll shoot you a pm...

*hi-5*

dirtylickins

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1619
  • Total likes: 141
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »
Dead serious  :shaka:

hepcat96821

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
I bought a Gen 5 Glock 19.  Sold it immediately to a friend, but took it to the range as per the new owners request, during the waiting period to put about 100 through it.  I brought it home, cleaned it, and decided to give it the $0.25 trigger job.  When I pulled the striker out, I noticed it was in there tight, a hell of a lot tighter then any Glock I ever did this too.  Putting it back in was even worse.  I'm curious if that may have something to do with it.

dirtylickins

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1619
  • Total likes: 141
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
Was it just tight when you did the mod? and while you did the 100 rounds you experienced the malfunctions as well? Or the 100 rounds went good with no malfunction and when doing the mod you noticed how tight it was?  Basically wondering if you too experienced malfunction?

hepcat96821

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 01:01:16 AM »
I didn't have any malfunctions at the range.  I was using American Eagle, by the way.  It wasn't until I removed the striker to polish the bottom hook part that makes contact with the flat area of the trigger bar did I notice how tight it was to take out.  It was even harder to put back into place.  I don't think of it as a mod, more of a cleaning job.  I didn't change springs, or file any parts, etc...

oldfart

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 04:46:26 AM »
Gonna puke  :tinfoil:
...
To be honest, I own a glock and it is extremely reliable.
I absolutely would trust it to be my self defense firearm. But that doesn't mean I enjoy shooting it.

What I don't like is the haughty "glock perfection" motto that glock fanboys chant incessantly.
By the same token, I don't like 1911 fanboys ranting about their guns either.
What, Me Worry?

macsak

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
Was it just tight when you did the mod? and while you did the 100 rounds you experienced the malfunctions as well? Or the 100 rounds went good with no malfunction and when doing the mod you noticed how tight it was?  Basically wondering if you too experienced malfunction?

basically

macsak

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 06:47:50 AM »
...
To be honest, I own a glock and it is extremely reliable.
I absolutely would trust it to be my self defense firearm.

why not?

Inspector

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
I am not a huge Glock fan. I own a Gen 2 Model 17 with a lot of miles on it and a lot of mods. I like the gun but it has no personality for me until I added some mods. Now it is more to my liking but it can't come close to wheelguns IMHO.

The only time I had this same issue was while using military ammo with known hard primers. With non-military type ammo it worked 100%. This was after 20+ years and around 10k rounds. I replaced the stock springs with stock springs and it cured the issue. I know this has nothing to do with your particular issue. I bring it up because, like my weakened striker spring I would not have known it was getting weak if it were not for the hard primers. With that said, it could be another problem that is not so obvious such as the hole the striker travels through may not be quite correct preventing full travel. It could be something fell into the channel the striker is located that is preventing the striker from full travel. It possibly could be one of the little cups that holds the spring and striker together as a unit might have broken or shifted during assembly. It could even be a broken/cracked/chipped striker.

No matter what the issue turns out to be I am sure it is something simple that a Glock Armorer can fix easily. I suggest you first take it back to the LGS you bought it from and if that is not possible then contact Glock for repair.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Aktmoises

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 07:29:26 AM »
I appreciate all you guys input!! Pretty epic for my first post!

changemyoil66

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
At least u got to practice failures.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aktmoises

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »
At least u got to practice failures.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Very true... was pretty proud of my wife for handling the misfires the was she did.

Heavies

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
I appreciate all you guys input!! Pretty epic for my first post!
Welcome to the forum!  Don't be a stranger. ;D :shaka: :thumbsup:

Aktmoises

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Don't be a stranger. ;D :shaka: :thumbsup:

Too bad this tapatalk app sucks... I.D be on more often

robtmc

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
I bought a Gen 5 Glock 19.  Sold it immediately to a friend, but took it to the range as per the new owners request, during the waiting period to put about 100 through it.  I brought it home, cleaned it, and decided to give it the $0.25 trigger job.  When I pulled the striker out, I noticed it was in there tight, a hell of a lot tighter then any Glock I ever did this too.  Putting it back in was even worse.  I'm curious if that may have something to do with it.
I always take apart a gun, regardless of make, before I fire it.

My first hunch reading this was something with the striker: piece of debris, spring cups not seated correctly, etc.

2ahavvaii

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
Glock perfection....

Apologies to the glock fans, I admit I loled.   :rofl:


If g5s are all having these problems,  I can see earlier gens becoming more popular,  at least until they get the issues under control

Inspector

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 04:53:57 AM »
Apologies to the glock fans, I admit I loled.   :rofl:


If g5s are all having these problems,  I can see earlier gens becoming more popular,  at least until they get the issues under control
I thought it was pretty funny as well.  :rofl:

I would hope that the Gen 5 Glocks are not having these sort of issues. I am referring to a large percentage, not an occasional one that gets through quality control. After viewing a few videos and seeing some posts around the Internet it appears that quality may not be as good as previous generations. Time will tell...
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

OGC

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 06:14:29 AM »
Do you guys remember when the G4 9mm first came out everyone who was shooting, lets say less than "1st Tier" manufactured ammo, kept getting failure to feed malfunctions because the spring was so still and had to break in so the gun was short stroking.  Glocks solution?  Tell customers to deal with it for 100 rounds and it will break in or they would send you a 2lb lighter spring on request.

Heavies

Re: Fail to fire with brand new glock 17 gen5
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Too bad this tapatalk app sucks... I.D be on more often
Sorry, yeah i know what you mean.  I just use the phone browser.