100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917 (Read 4234 times)

oldfart

100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »
First, some 1917 trivia fun facts:

The U.S. enters World War I by declaring war on Germany
The first Pulitzer prizes are awarded
Al Capone is scarred in a knife fight, thus the name “Scarface”
French soldiers mutiny, thus earning the French army the reputation of being cowardly
The draft for WWI soldiers begins
And 100 years ago this ammunition rolled off the line!

Headstamp U.S.C. Co. 6-17
United States Cartridge Company (U.S.C. Co.) Massachusetts
Dated June 1917

LOA= 1.260
Mouth Dia=0.468
Bullet= Very interesting silver colored. Probably stannic stained.
FMJ- 231 grains, no evidence of sealer on the bullet
Primer=domed brass colored
Case=Brass with cannelure
Powder=3.9 gr. Fine grain flakes. Some stuck to the inside case wall below the cannelure and it is really stuck. It wouldn’t come off.
What, Me Worry?

Mr. Farknocker

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
Does she go bang?

oldfart

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
Does she go bang?
==========
I was contemplating on what to do with the old ammo that I dissected.
It's easy to put it back together and try shoot it.
It would be cool to have a m1917 revolver to do that.
Even though the primer is corrosive, I doubt that one round would deposit enough salt to damage any gun.

Maybe next week I'll take apart a round from 1932. Lots of interesting things happened in 1932.
Depression, gangsters, infamous bank robbers
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 04:25:20 AM »
Cordite powder?

Inspector

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

davek42

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
Yep thats cordlite

hepcat96821

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
This is interesting.  I have green boxed Remington 45 acp from the 60s I believe.  I ran a few mags of it at the range once I looked it over.  It was a little weak, but still cycled my firearm

2ahavvaii

Re: 100 Year Old 45 ACP from 1917
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
if it's boxed, might be worth some money.  vintage ammo to go with a vintage 1911