Evolution of the Bullet (Read 5148 times)

Mr. Farknocker

Evolution of the Bullet
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »
I spent some time this weekend casting some bullets for a replica 1841 Percussion Rifle (aka, Mississippi Rifle) muzzle loader that fires a .58 Caliber Minie and an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor that shoots a 45-70 Govt. round and was somewhat surprised at the size and shape of the bullets that fell out of the molds. I had to throw a 69 grain .224 round next to both of them before snapping a photo.

In a span of roughly 120 years bullet designs went from a hulking 500 gr. cavity back lead bullet that traveled a little over 1000 fps through a barrel with a 66:1 twist rate to a 69 gr. HPBT FMJ traveling approximately 3 times faster out of a barrel with a 1:7 twist rate. I can't imagine being in the midst of a civil war battle with 500 gr. pieces of lead measuring over half inch in diameter whizzing about or even getting hit by one.




drck1000

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
That’s cool! 

I should see if I can find the bullets that I bought as souvenirs when we visited one of the Civil War sites. From what I remember, looked a lot like the 1841 one, but supposedly was recovered from the battle grounds. Who knows if true, but at like 12, it was.

I always wondered what path that particular bullet had travelled.

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
That’s cool! 

I should see if I can find the bullets that I bought as souvenirs when we visited one of the Civil War sites. From what I remember, looked a lot like the 1841 one, but supposedly was recovered from the battle grounds. Who knows if true, but at like 12, it was.

I always wondered what path that particular bullet had travelled.

Shamessly lifted fom another site

rklapp

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Shamessly lifted fom another site
The "chewed by human teeth" was probably while a surgeon was cutting off a limb in the field with no morphine.

After Gettysburg, Chamberlain suffered several mortals wounds and somehow survived.
"Chamberlain gained the name "Bloody Chamberlain" at Quaker Road. Chamberlain kept a Bible and framed picture of his wife in his left front "chest" pocket. A Confederate shot at Chamberlain. The bullet went through his horse's neck, hit the picture frame, entered under Chamberlain's skin in the front of his chest, traveled around his body under the skin along the rib, and exited his back. To all observers Union and Confederate, it appeared that he was shot through his chest. He continued to encourage his men to attack. All sides cheered his valiant courage, and the Union assault was successful."

Damn...
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
Nice looking cast boolits.
 :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
Nice looking cast boolits.
 :thumbsup:

Thanks. It took a while to figure out how to cast them just right.  I first tried casting the .45-70 rounds and tried to shake them out like I usually do. I didn't realize that you are actually supposed to turn the entire mold upside down so that the bullets can fall straight out.  Makes perfect sense to me now that I realize that the bullets sit on a cone that forms the cavity base of the bullet.

The larger Minie bullet mold was a little more problematic. The first 10 to 15 rounds I produced with the mold produced imperfect or partially missing skirts. I thought I purchased a bum mold. Fortunately, the problem rectified itself after the mold got hot enough. I thought I preheated the mold sufficiently but soon realized that I didn't.  In any event, there's always something to learn in bullet casting. That's what makes it fun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:30:18 AM by Mr. Farknocker »

Inspector

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
You did a nice job on those boolits!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wish I had the time to get into casting. I hope to get started once I retire. Let us know how they shoot!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Did you use hard or soft lead?
What, Me Worry?

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Evolution of the Bullet
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »
Did you use hard or soft lead?

I'll have to check. I definitely didn't use pure lead as recommended.