6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once (Read 7034 times)

drck1000

I’ve had two on this list. Many others I would put ahead of these whiskeys (whiskys for those that wil comment about such things).

https://www.supercall.com/spirits/top-shelf-whiskey?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=supercall

s197

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Way better stuff at those price points. Example, Lagavulin 16 is around $50 at Costco vs Laphroaig Lore.

Johnny green over Plat all day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Way better stuff at those price points. Example, Lagavulin 16 is around $50 at Costco vs Laphroaig Lore.

Johnny green over Plat all day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yup. That Lag 16 deal is one of the best around. I enjoy it. It’s a little too smoky/peaty for some, but I like it. Have an open one in my cabinet and one on reserve.

s197

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
I'm not a fan of Laphroaig triple wood but if you are, best pick up a bottle or two, it's getting discontinued.

For Bourbon, Barrel is hit or miss to me. Four Roses Single Barrel is a solid offering as is most of the Tamura or Fujiokas store picks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of Laphroaig triple wood but if you are, best pick up a bottle or two, it's getting discontinued.

For Bourbon, Barrel is hit or miss to me. Four Roses Single Barrel is a solid offering as is most of the Tamura or Fujiokas store picks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Not really a fan of Lafroggie, but only really tried their 10 yo.

I like Four Roses. Both the single barrel and whatever the other one is. I just recall one is like $30 and the other like $50. I also like Blantons and Whistle Pig. Buffalo Trace is ok too.

One of my buddies is a regular at the Market City Fujioka’s. He usually gets some inside scoops on what’s coming and occasionally ins on the “limited” supply stuff.

s197

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
Not really a fan of Lafroggie, but only really tried their 10 yo.

I like Four Roses. Both the single barrel and whatever the other one is. I just recall one is like $30 and the other like $50. I also like Blantons and Whistle Pig. Buffalo Trace is ok too.

One of my buddies is a regular at the Market City Fujioka’s. He usually gets some inside scoops on what’s coming and occasionally ins on the “limited” supply stuff.
Nice! We hardly get any of the rare stuff in HI so getting an inside scoop is likely your only shot.

That Fujiokas has a WP pick right now. It's pricey at $99 but that's the going rate for those bottles even on the mainland.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
Nice! We hardly get any of the rare stuff in HI so getting an inside scoop is likely your only shot.

That Fujiokas has a WP pick right now. It's pricey at $99 but that's the going rate for those bottles even on the mainland.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Fujioka’s had (maybe still do) a “Hawaii barrel” edition. I wanted to try at one of their cigar events. I wanted to try it last since it was kinda high alcohol content. By the time I went to try, that table was closed down. Dammit... haha

I have a bunch of buddies on the mainland that also enjoy whiskeys. Yeah, jealous of the selection they have. Scapa, Bunahhabin, and others are more rare here. If can even find.

mrgaf

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
Love my Hibiki, especially the 12 and 25 year old whisky.... :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

s197

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
Love my Hibiki, especially the 12 and 25 year old whisky....
Hibiki 12 also discontinued so if you got it savor it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
I still have a bottle of Hibiki 21. They still have available in Japan and if you really search in US. My buddy came across a bottle in Chicago. Was over $400!  After they started bottling the Harmony series, the prices shot way up. I think the last time I bought for my friend, my GF brought back a bottle from Japan and was already $400, and that was in 2015!  I remember buying 17 at liquor stores for under $100 and I think the 21 was around $200-250. Crazy how much it went up after winning all those awards and being featured on movies.  :(

Same thing happened to the Nikka line. Then Ichiro. No one knew whisky would blow up like that.

Have you guys tried the Kavalan line? They have some good stuff too!

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
A whisky bar in Japan. Think this was in Ginza.

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
This was in Shinjuku. I actually have both at home. But mu buddy wanted to try these while we were there.

s197

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
Kavalan makes nice stuff. I've tried the Vino barrique and sherry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
Kavalan makes nice stuff. I've tried the Vino barrique and sherry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yup. I’ve tried those two and one more, but cans remember the name. Another buddy really likes those and I just sample what he gets. I was gonna get a bottle of the Vinho when I was in Japan in Sept (was a good price), but ended up bringing back a bottle of Komagatake.

We’ve been drinking more cask strength stuff. And with cigars.  ;D

mrgaf

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
Love my Hibiki, especially the 12 and 25 year old whisky.... :thumbsup:
My bad. My Hibiki is 21 not 25.  :thumbsup: :crazy:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

mrgaf

Re: 6 Top Shelf Whiskies Every Whiskey Lover Needs to Try At Least Once
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Hibiki 12 also discontinued so if you got it savor it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Luckily I still got 2 1/2 bottles of the 12 and 2 bottles of the 21. Just bought 2 bottles of the Harmony at the NEX ABOUT 2 months ago. Would love to get my hands of some 30 yr old Hibiki  Love to drink and collect them. :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.