Vortex Venom RDS Experience? (Read 5403 times)

drck1000

Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
Appreciate feedback from anyone with experience with the Vortex Venom RDS. Thinking of one as budget optics for handgun first, but could go on a long gun eventually as well.

Thinking Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock red dot slide gun, but also looking at trying other guns with a RDS and a more budget friendly optic would help.

Heavies

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »
No experience with that one, but I have a friend that has an RMR and it did not hold up well mounted to a lightweight AR build.   

Wake27

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
Appreciate feedback from anyone with experience with the Vortex Venom RDS. Thinking of one as budget optics for handgun first, but could go on a long gun eventually as well.

Thinking Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock red dot slide gun, but also looking at trying other guns with a RDS and a more budget friendly optic would help.

The 3 MOA dot wasn't very bright. I had either the Venom or the Viper for a few days, just enough time to shoot it once and that was kind of a bummer. I considered swapping it for the 6 MOA version but then the type 2 RMRs were released and people were selling their type 1s for $350, so I went RMR. I'm surprised to hear that an RMR didn't hold up on an AR...

drck1000

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »
No experience with that one, but I have a friend that has an RMR and it did not hold up well mounted to a lightweight AR build.
Really? I’ve seen RMRs and Deltapoints on a bunch of ARs. Some on AKs as well. Not a common at EoTechs or Aimpoints, but seemed like they did well. Not my guns, but have seen them hold up on guns used for SSF. Those guns take a beating.

drck1000

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
The 3 MOA dot wasn't very bright. I had either the Venom or the Viper for a few days, just enough time to shoot it once and that was kind of a bummer. I considered swapping it for the 6 MOA version but then the type 2 RMRs were released and people were selling their type 1s for $350, so I went RMR. I'm surprised to hear that an RMR didn't hold up on an AR...
Have a Type 2 3.25 on the way for my Glock slide. It’s adjautablr and heard that the higher brightness helps. I figure give that a try and then can try the 6.5 if I don’t like it. Then the 3.25 could go on a long gun.

I was tempted to try out a Type 1 after the prices dropped, but decided to spend a little more for the Type 2, especially since it is intended for use on a handgun slide.

Influence

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »
Have a Type 2 3.25 on the way for my Glock slide. It’s adjautablr and heard that the higher brightness helps. I figure give that a try and then can try the 6.5 if I don’t like it. Then the 3.25 could go on a long gun.

I was tempted to try out a Type 1 after the prices dropped, but decided to spend a little more for the Type 2, especially since it is intended for use on a handgun slide.

Wise choice on the type 2.  My brand new type 1 rm06 had flicker issues even with the anti flicker plate.  Played around with the connectors a bit and it seems ok for now.  Did ok under the first hundred rounds but I’m still a bit iffy.

drck1000

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »
RMR arrived yesterday. Still waiting on the slide and other parts though...  :(

All_rice

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
How are you zeroing your red dots? I just got 3 shield sights for my Glocks. Wondering if I should just go indoor range to zero them
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

drck1000

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
How are you zeroing your red dots? I just got 3 shield sights for my Glocks. Wondering if I should just go indoor range to zero them
How? Like any of my other handguns. Shoot on paper at Kokohead, so 25 yards.

All_rice

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:46:48 PM »
How? Like any of my other handguns. Shoot on paper at Kokohead, so 25 yards.

Any specific type of target? Like the ad zero targets ? I know musa has a specific target for zeroing pistol red dots.
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

drck1000

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
Any specific type of target? Like the ad zero targets ? I know musa has a specific target for zeroing pistol red dots.
I just used regular shoot-n-see targets that I usually when showing pistol. Shoot 3 shot groups and adjust.

All_rice

Re: Vortex Venom RDS Experience?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
I just used regular shoot-n-see targets that I usually when showing pistol. Shoot 3 shot groups and adjust.

Nice. Mahalos
Land of the free, because of the Brave!