Trump considers raising purchase age for certain firearms, amid gun control talk (Read 6299 times)

punaperson

What age is the "right" age to qualify for various rights and privileges to be exercised? Driving, drinking, smoking, voting, military service, CCW, various firearms ownership/possession, etc.

A writer at the New York Times suggested 30 to purchase "assault weapons", 25 for handguns, 21 for "ordinary" long guns. Seems a little low to me, I mean, that guy in Vegas was 64... I read an article that I can't find at the moment that provided the stats that the actual average age of the mass public shooters is (just barely) over 30, and that 58% of them were over 30.

Waddaya think?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/21/trump-considers-raising-purchase-age-for-certain-firearms-amid-gun-control-talks.html

Trump considers raising purchase age for certain firearms, amid gun control talks

President Trump is signaling an openness to the idea of raising the minimum age for purchasing certain firearms in the wake of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Fla., where a 19-year-old is accused of killing 17 teachers and students with an AR-15 rifle.

Trump on Tuesday tweeted, “Whether we are Republican or Democrat, we must now focus on strengthening Background Checks!”  :wtf:

Flapp_Jackson

The age of majority is 18 in most states.  It's a generally held opinion that anyone still in high school and not earning a living nor paying taxes doesn't have the life experience needed to maturely and rationally vote in elections, join the military, be treated as an adult in the legal system, etc.

When so many go straight from high school to college, students may be delaying their entry into "the real world", which is one reason states raised drinking ages to 21. 

Now our healthcare system wants to keep "children" on their parents' insurance coverage through age 26, because "adulting" almost a decade after becoming a legal adult is just too hard.   :wacko:

Quote
What Does Age of Majority Mean?

“The age of majority is the legally defined age at which a person is considered an adult, with all the attendant
rights and responsibilities of adulthood. The age of majority is defined by state laws, which vary by state”
(U.S. Legal.com, n.d.).  Thus, when people use the term age of majority, they are generally referring to when
a young person reaches the age where one is considered to be an adult. Depending upon your state law, this
usually happens at some point between 18 and 21.

What’s your state’s age of majority?

http://minors.uslegal.com/age-of-majority/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Then there's that old conundrum of 18 in the military
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

I believe that if someone can join the military/ be drafted at 18 (legal age to sign documents) then they should be able to own guns, drink, smoke, etc..But that's just my opinion.

2ahavvaii

It's more BS to limiting people's rights.  Once you open the door on age based regulations, they'll steadily ratchet it up until minimum age is 50 for a pistol and 100 for AR style gun.  Oh, and you must pass the physical and eye exam too.

Then there's that old conundrum of 18 in the military

Exactly what I was thinking.  Add LEOs to the list, probably private armed guards too.  Some jurisdictions take cadets as young as 18. 

punaperson

Then there's that old conundrum of 18 in the military
17 for USMC with parents signed consent. But can't buy a handgun until 21. That's why I asked Senator Gabbard to put the exception for current or former military members under the age of 21 for shall issue CCW, which he graciously did... not that a committee chair ever considered actually having a hearing, but still... it's the thought that counts, right?  >:(

robtmc

Then there's that old conundrum of 18 in the military
I suppose that serving in the military is not the same as being out in the cold world making it on your own.

You are provided with everything and given constant supervision and instruction.  Just off the top of my head. 

At 17, I was not ready for making my own way, but my stepmonster wanted me gone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:00:23 PM by robtmc »

rklapp

I'm guessing that "Jeff" was winking back at the President after Trump made his statement.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

zippz

There's a couple of 12 year olds that shoot IPSC at koko head.  Would be good to do a news story on them to counter the hysteria out there.

punaperson

I'm guessing that "Jeff" was winking back at the President after Trump made his statement.
I saw one of his comments on video, not sure where he was at the time, where he used one of my favorite terms/concepts, "evidence-based" policies. That would mean that there will be no bumpstock ban and no raising the age of purchase/possession for "military style battlefield weapons of war", which I see some outlets have reverted to calling "assault rifles". And obviously not a ban.

changemyoil66

I saw one of his comments on video, not sure where he was at the time, where he used one of my favorite terms/concepts, "evidence-based" policies. That would mean that there will be no bumpstock ban and no raising the age of purchase/possession for "military style battlefield weapons of war", which I see some outlets have reverted to calling "assault rifles". And obviously not a ban.

I'm surprised also that the media isn't using the word "assault rifle" like how they normally do,  but more specifics AR-15 or semi-auto rifle.

hvybarrels

The irony of right wingers voting for a New York elite liberal wasn't lost on me. Just a matter of time before everyone ends up really disappointed.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

eyeeatingfish

The irony of right wingers voting for a New York elite liberal wasn't lost on me. Just a matter of time before everyone ends up really disappointed.
Amen!

punaperson

The irony of right wingers voting for a New York elite liberal wasn't lost on me. Just a matter of time before everyone ends up really disappointed.
Amen!
Yeah? You think the other "New York elite liberal" that ran would have appointed someone with values like Gorsuch to SCOTUS had she won?

I could write a really long list in the exact same vein but I'm not going to bother...

hvybarrels

Yeah? You think the other "New York elite liberal" that ran would have appointed someone with values like Gorsuch to SCOTUS had she won?

I could write a really long list in the exact same vein but I'm not going to bother...

I'm not saying anything of the sort because I don't have to because those facts are not mutually exclusive.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

punaperson

I'm not saying anything of the sort because I don't have to because those facts are not mutually exclusive.
So you're just as disappointed with Gorsuch as you would have been with Clinton's nominee, right?

Your claim was "Just a matter of time before everyone ends up really disappointed". That would have to be compared to the only other possible outcome of the election. Are you claiming there aren't degrees of "disappointment", including in any "lesser of two evils" situation? I guess that is a commonly held opinion in Hawaii given that it has the lowest voter registration/turnout rate in the U.S.... "it doesn't matter".

Heavies

There's a couple of 12 year olds that shoot IPSC at koko head.  Would be good to do a news story on them to counter the hysteria out there.

You want the lunatic lefties calling CPS on their parents?

hvybarrels

So you're just as disappointed with Gorsuch as you would have been with Clinton's nominee, right?

Your claim was "Just a matter of time before everyone ends up really disappointed". That would have to be compared to the only other possible outcome of the election. Are you claiming there aren't degrees of "disappointment", including in any "lesser of two evils" situation? I guess that is a commonly held opinion in Hawaii given that it has the lowest voter registration/turnout rate in the U.S.... "it doesn't matter".

I'm not sure how anything you are saying changes the fact that Trump is an elite New York liberal who was ironically voted in by right wingers and now is in the process of disappointing a lot of them (which was inevitable).

Am I glad it was him and not Hillary? Hell yeah, but that's besides the point.

The other annoying tendency in our failing democracy is Hero Worship. We pile on candidates like sports teams and once they win all there is to do is bask in the glow of accomplishing nothing ourselves as we wait around for next season.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

robtmc

So you're just as disappointed with Gorsuch as you would have been with Clinton's nominee, right?
The reply may be a bit deeper that than seen at first glance.

I too, tend to shoot first and ask questions later.