Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp? (Read 2652 times)

mangosteenqueen

Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp?
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:48 PM »
Does anyone here own a Precision Armament AFAB muzzle device? I’m considering changing out my J-comp v2 for some kind of hybrid device because it produces quite a concussion when I shoot my AR.
I hear it’s a solid performer as a hybrid muzzle device and doesn’t produce nasty muzzle blasé concussion but I haven’t been able to find an answer to this one question I have in mind:

How much dust/dirt does it kick up compared to the a2 flash hider when you shoot from the prone and “urban” prone?

Surf

Re: Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
You had me right up to "urban" prone.  In any case, it is a great device. 

mangosteenqueen

Re: Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:17:25 PM »
It’s the shooting position where you’re laying down on your side, Generally good for shooting underneath really low cover like underneath a sedan or such. I don’t think the design (like most muzzle brakes) is good for urban prone unless someone chimes in about it.

Surf

Re: Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »
It’s the shooting position where you’re laying down on your side, Generally good for shooting underneath really low cover like underneath a sedan or such. I don’t think the design (like most muzzle brakes) is good for urban prone unless someone chimes in about it.
Thanks, I know what "urban prone" is and all the other cheesy marketing catch phrases coined by Magpul, but it worked from a marketing standpoint at its target audience.

But back to the AFAB,  it is a very good hybrid device, one of the better at gas dispersion, even a good bit better than a BattleComp as just one popular example and very similar to the KAC MAMS at a third the cost.  No comp or even a hybrid will tend to work as well as a hider or linear device.  Noise, muzzle lift (compensator), rearward push (muzzle brake), flash signature (flash hider) will all have some give and take.  Depends on what you perceive as being important.  Unfortunately the best option is not legal here.

mangosteenqueen

Re: Experience with Precision armament AFAB comp?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
Doesn’t sound bad at all. Just installed a surefire warcomp ctn (bird cage version) that I ordered a few days before posting this thread
mostly because it looks cool and seems to do what I currently want out of a muzzle device according to reviews,

and I wanted something different on my other AR. Will definitely get the afab when the money comes around.

I mostly need it so that my shooting neighbor/hunting buddy will be at ease around the muzzle blast but with some extent having the benefits of a muzzle brake.