Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds (Read 19344 times)

Eric808

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
The tires I bought from Costco are Michelin tires. Never had Michelin’s before. Generally speaking I am happy with them. They are supposed to be 70k mile tires and it looks like I am going to get that out of them. Or at least pretty close to that. I’ll buy Michelin tires again. But I am going to add that there is only about 10k miles of tread left on them so some time this year I will be buying a new set of tires.

I like Costco prices and if you time it right, they have 1 cent installation.  I use to always also buy Michelin, but the installation guy recommended Bridgestone and the last time I got a rebate and the 1 cent installation.  I also do the Lex Brodie 2 year 4 wheel alignment, then every 6 months do an alignment check and then go to Costco to do the tire rotation/balance check.  The only problem with Costco now is the wait, one Saturday I had to wait for over 5 hours, first come first serve on the weekends.  At least on the weekdays, you can make an appointment on-line.

drck1000

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
I had actually typed more then deleted. I have had good luck with Goodyear tires over the years. I always felt that they were a good balance of cost and quality. I have had terrible luck with Firestone/Bridgestone tires. As an example, the OEM tires on my Tacoma were Firestone/Bridgestone. At about 30k miles 2 of the tires developed bulges in the sidewalls. I ran them until 32k miles then bought the Michelins I currently have. Right now I have 91K miles on my truck so right about 60k miles on the tires.

My wife and I owned a couple of BMW’s back in the early 2000’s. Her car didn’t have the camber issue but mine did. Performance tires are VERY expensive. Back then I set of really good tires were $1k. If I bought a decent set it was $800. With my wife’s car I got 15k-18k miles. But with my car 10k-12k was pretty much it. Got rid of them due to the high maintenance costs and the frequency of maintaining them.
I had some Bridgestone Potenza (sp?) on my previous car, but I don't recall any specific problems with them.  I don't recall any specific problems with tires either though.  haha.

I remember finding out the hard way about lifespan of performance tires.  That was my first car with performance tires and I thought the tread was good going into a safety inspection.  Well, with the camber, I didn't see the treadwear on the inside parts and my tires wouldn't have passed inspection.  I think that was around 11k.  I went with more good performance tires after that.  I had SUVs before that, but I decided on a change of pace for my last car.  Went back to SUV.  Don't see myself going back to a sedan any time soon. 

oldfart

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
I think you lucked out. Every time I have had to take in my truck or my wife’s SUV the bill was over $1k each time.
...
Actually it is now $1000. The power steering pump was leaking too.😩😟😦😢
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
...
Actually it is now $1000. The power steering pump was leaking too.😩😟😦😢
Sorry you are having more problems. But just get it all done and over with. Hopefully, you won’t have to fix anything else for a while.

I know this goes back a long way. I noticed back when every American car had a V8 you started having problems around 80k-100k miles. And the engine/transmission  needed rebuilding. But you could get pretty much 100k miles without major work. Now, the engines and transmissions seem to last much longer and now I am replacing supporting pieces such as power steering pieces, cooling system pieces, electronic systems. They are wearing out before the engine/transmissions do. But the vehicles these days seem to last much longer and stay in better shape overall for a much longer period. All of this is generally speaking of course.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:08 AM »
Sorry you are having more problems. But just get it all done and over with. Hopefully, you won’t have to fix anything else for a while.

I know this goes back a long way. I noticed back when every American car had a V8 you started having problems around 80k-100k miles. And the engine/transmission  needed rebuilding. But you could get pretty much 100k miles without major work. Now, the engines and transmissions seem to last much longer and now I am replacing supporting pieces such as power steering pieces, cooling system pieces, electronic systems. They are wearing out before the engine/transmissions do. But the vehicles these days seem to last much longer and stay in better shape overall for a much longer period. All of this is generally speaking of course.
....
This suv is almost 20 years old with about 157k.
My other commuter car is 12 years old with 176k.
Yeah, they seem to last pretty long nowadays.
All things considered,  I got nothing to complain about.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
I had some Bridgestone Potenza (sp?) on my previous car, but I don't recall any specific problems with them.  I don't recall any specific problems with tires either though.  haha.

I remember finding out the hard way about lifespan of performance tires.  That was my first car with performance tires and I thought the tread was good going into a safety inspection.  Well, with the camber, I didn't see the treadwear on the inside parts and my tires wouldn't have passed inspection.  I think that was around 11k.  I went with more good performance tires after that.  I had SUVs before that, but I decided on a change of pace for my last car.  Went back to SUV.  Don't see myself going back to a sedan any time soon.
I was not a big SUV fan. I bought it for my wife. She wanted it. Now that I have to do all the shopping and going to the beach along with other trips I am glad she wanted it. It is much better suited to certain tasks than my truck. I will buy another one when this one wears out.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
I was not a big SUV fan. I bought it for my wife. She wanted it. Now that I have to do all the shopping and going to the beach along with other trips I am glad she wanted it. It is much better suited to certain tasks than my truck. I will buy another one when this one wears out.
Yeah, depends on lifestyle and current and changing needs.  When I lived in WA, an SUV was pretty much essential for my lifestyle.  Wanting to head out to snowboard, fish, hike, mountain bike, etc.  Wasn't really like that when I first moved back home so I ended up with a sedan.  While I made it work for the 11-12 years I had that car, an SUV is better for me.  If I had more $$$, I'd go with one of each.  A medium sized car, truck and SUV. 

mrgaf

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
My 32 Ford....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Surf

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
A medium sized car, truck and SUV.
This is what suits our families needs.  Wife has the SUV, and I rotate between Truck and car.  Truck is just too big or sometimes a pain for full time use.  Looking at upgrading the car option at this point.

drck1000

Re: Things That “Take Away” From Your Gun Funds
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
Car registration. . . :kickcan: