Wipe on poly (Read 3763 times)

oldfart

Wipe on poly
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:55:21 AM »
Minwax Wipe On Poly is an interesting product which I bought to finish a new wooden bedroom door.
It appears to be a liquid plastic coating that you just apply with a cloth.
Of course, it could be used for wooden stocks and grips too.

Then I tried it on other stuff. Especially stuff that sits outside in the sun and rain.
For example, I was repairing my solar yard lights. See pics.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

eyeeatingfish

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Minwax Wipe On Poly is an interesting product which I bought to finish a new wooden bedroom door.
It appears to be a liquid plastic coating that you just apply with a cloth.
Of course, it could be used for wooden stocks and grips too.

Then I tried it on other stuff. Especially stuff that sits outside in the sun and rain.
For example, I was repairing my solar yard lights. See pics.

Wipe on polyurethane goes on very thin. It's easy to get a smooth finish where you don't see the brush Strokes. The downside is that if you want a thick protective coating you have to apply a lot of layers. I use it quite often when I make furniture. My favorite thing about it other than it being waterproof and the most abrasion resistant coating is that since it applies on thin you don't get the plasticy look. I use a Danish oil type product and then a few coats of polyurethane over the top so it's still has a would look and feel. If used a normal polyurethane and put three or four coats you start to get that plastic sheet look

If you are interested in a coating for outside you should get spar urethane. It is better against ultraviolet radiation. Not quite as tough as polyurethane as I understand it but much better against the elements

jaynick

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »
If you like it and run out i suggest buying a gallon of brush on polyurethane and thin it yourself with mineral spirits. Since its convenient and easier to use on vertical surfaces for the average homeowner in "ready to use" form, Wipe on poly is 14 bucks for 16oz where a 16oz poly concentrate is 12 bucks. A gallon of poly cost 33 and mineral spirits is 18. You thin it roughly 1:1 so youd get 2 solid gallons for around 50 bucks(256oz) vs 3-4 16oz bottles of wipe on.  :thumbsup:


As mentioned above spar urethane is meant for outdoors

oldfart

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
This is all useful information. I'm particularly interested in this urethane stuff for non-wood applications.
Like the yard lights and car trims.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
I see no reason why urethane can't be used on metal and other materials. It seems like it will stick to most stuff and basically form a plastic barrier

oldfart

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
I see no reason why urethane can't be used on metal and other materials. It seems like it will stick to most stuff and basically form a plastic barrier
...
Thats why I started this thread. I'm thinking that it has many uses. So I want others to try it on other stuff
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
...
Thats why I started this thread. I'm thinking that it has many uses. So I want others to try it on other stuff

Yup.
The water based formula will not have the amber tint that oil based has. The oil is slightly more durable but depending on what you want to apply it to, the water based might preserve a color better.

I did coat an axe head with polyurethane recently to resist rust.

ren

Re: Wipe on poly
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
If it say for interior use, it doesn't have UV inhibitors and won't last long if left in the sun.
Deeds Not Words