Are mongoose strictly active in the daytime? (Read 5379 times)

k2man

Are mongoose strictly active in the daytime?
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Do mongoose run around at all at night?  I'm going to put a dent in their population here in Waiohinu, just wondering if there will be any activity at night.

oldfart

Re: Are mongoose strictly active in the daytime?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
That's the story.
Never did see a mongoose run across the road at night.
Try set out some smelly bait at night and report back.
I'm guessing cats will show up.
What, Me Worry?

powder monkey

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »
Diurnal

jc2721

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »
Don't know about that but I do know they're pretty tasty--very lean and stringy though.

308gunner

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
No.  They are not nocturnal.  They always visit me at my hunting blind during the day.  As soon as the sun goes down they leave.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Doesn't the story go, mongoose was introduced to Hawaii to kill rats, but the rats are on the night shift, and the mongoose is on the day shift?

Should have brought in some non-union mongoose.   :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Drakiir84

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
Doesn't the story go, mongoose was introduced to Hawaii to kill rats, but the rats are on the night shift, and the mongoose is on the day shift?

Should have brought in some non-union mongoose.   :thumbsup:

Yup, they were brought to Hawaii in the late 1800's to kill the rats that were destroying sugar cane crops.  Silly geese.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Don't know about that but I do know they're pretty tasty--very lean and stringy though.
Mmmmmm, Mongoose....
It's whats for dinner.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »
I know some guys in like Kentucky and those areas that eat skwerl, but dayum. 

I've caught mongoose in traps that are basically the same as feral cat traps.  They stink!  I can't imagine eating those buggers. . .

jc2721

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »
I know some guys in like Kentucky and those areas that eat skwerl, but dayum. 

I've caught mongoose in traps that are basically the same as feral cat traps.  They stink!  I can't imagine eating those buggers. . .

squirrel's good too!  My niece and nephew have guinea pigs that'll need sitting in a month or so when they go on a trip--they're small but kinda plump. 

rklapp

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
Noooo...   :rofl:

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

k2man

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
I will try to bait them and see what I get at night.  I have eaten a lot of squirrels in Missouri - very delicious!  And my kids  loved playing with the tanned pelts.

I've heard like drck says that mongoose stink, so I'm not going to eat them.  Just want to clean them out to help the birds.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
I will try to bait them and see what I get at night.  I have eaten a lot of squirrels in Missouri - very delicious!  And my kids  loved playing with the tanned pelts.

I've heard like drck says that mongoose stink, so I'm not going to eat them.  Just want to clean them out to help the birds.
Shoot the bulbul birds. They are more of a nuisance because they will eat all your fruits and vegetables.
These birds have the red spot on the stomach.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
squirrel's good too!  My niece and nephew have guinea pigs that'll need sitting in a month or so when they go on a trip--they're small but kinda plump.
Haha.  I've never actually tried.  I just have a buddy that lives in Ohio I think and he hunts and eats skwerls.  We would tease him in the Elmer Fudd type accent. . . "you have to be vewy, vewy qwuiet"   ;D

Eric808

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
Shoot the bulbul birds. They are more of a nuisance because they will eat all your fruits and vegetables.
These birds have the red spot on the stomach.

Yeah, I had to make a net to cover my hawaiian chili peppers, as soon as the start to turn red, the next time I look, they are gone, only the stems left.

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »
Yeah, I had to make a net to cover my hawaiian chili peppers, as soon as the start to turn red, the next time I look, they are gone, only the stems left.
They ate all the chili pepper from the plants at my parent's house and my grandmother's house.  My grandma put a mesh net over the chili pepper plant and that kept them away for a little while.  But then the suckers learned how to get into the net from the bottom! 

jc2721

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
I once shot 60+ bulbuls out of a lychee tree one summer morning.  I sacrificed one bunch of lychee (I was using a CO2 powered shotgun, which messed up the whole bunch) but once that  bunch started dripping juice the birds couldn't resist it.  I had to stop when I ran out of CO2 and shotshells.  Never even gave a thought to eating them.

k2man

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
Bulbul birds!  Oh crap, another introduced pest I have to worry about.  Just looked them up - I guess there everywhere on Oahu, but DLNR website says:

"Big Island: Several sightings around the Mauna Lani area on the Kona side, sighting near Hilo. All sightings should be reported to BIISC or HDOA."

I don't recall ever seeing them here.  I'm down at the southern tip of the Big Island.  I'll try to take out any bulbul I see.  They may be delicious too!

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »
Bulbul birds!  Oh crap, another introduced pest I have to worry about.  Just looked them up - I guess there everywhere on Oahu, but DLNR website says:

"Big Island: Several sightings around the Mauna Lani area on the Kona side, sighting near Hilo. All sightings should be reported to BIISC or HDOA."

I don't recall ever seeing them here.  I'm down at the southern tip of the Big Island.  I'll try to take out any bulbul I see.  They may be delicious too!
There are TONS of them at my dad's house.  They are super noisy too.  They are pretty darn smart too.  One of the neighbors used to shoot, or at least try to shoot, the bulbuls and mynah birds in their papaya tree.  I think they said the bulbuls were tough to shoot after a while as they seemed to learn.