Auguson Farms - 30 Day Emergency Food Supply (Read 3627 times)

drck1000

Re: Auguson Farms - 30 Day Emergency Food Supply
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
Just ordered some SOS to try.

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Canning is not for everyone and IMO not really necessary but a good skill to know if you ever needed food preservation skills if you garden etc.  Canning should also be rotated maxed at about 5 years, but I have some at 6 years.  We use the canned foods as needed so it rotates.  I like canned beef and chicken for quick beef stew and chicken recipes, pretty much heat and serve.  We also do mulberry preserves on the BI.

I can cut the wise foods with canned food or beans and rice which makes it much better since it is high sodium content.  A good way for instant flavors and seasoning other than just beans and rice.
I think that is the place I checked out online.  I tried putting in an order of 5 packs and shipping was $95, twice the cost of the bars themselves.  Tried 10 packs, 20 packs and shipping didn't go down much relative.  So I pick up the Amazon two packs, one cinnamon and one regular for $13.xx shipped free via Prime.
The part of canning being a valuable skill is one of the reasons I'm interested.  Almost finished reading Lights Out and it (and other books like it) opened my eyes to so many skills that used to be common place that are lost due to technology. 

I have a variety of canned food that I've bought here and there over the years.  Some are better than others.  And yes, all very much good to go in a more survival situation, but there are certainly some foods that given the choice, I could certainly gravitate to.  Hence my trying difference bucket types foods, but like I mentioned above, diversity in the foods is something that I see as a benefit.  Luckily I'm not a very picky eater.  I swear some things I've eaten were essentially cardboard with some sauce on it.  I've never been in a situation were I was so low on food that I was starving, so I guess I can't truly appreciate the realities of a survival situation.  That said, I'd like to continue to work to be prepared for whatever life throws at us. 

London808

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
Pressure caned broth
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
Pressure caned broth
Quail?

What do you plan on using for? Making soups?

London808

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
Quail?

What do you plan on using for? Making soups?

Turkey, quail, chicken. I made 5 gallons iover a week. This is bone brooth so it can be used for a bunch of things, we use it with any recipe that calls for brooth.

https://youtu.be/PRWaYBW5tb4

https://youtu.be/091cgqDgUUA
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
Turkey, quail, chicken. I made 5 gallons iover a week. This is bone brooth so it can be used for a bunch of things, we use it with any recipe that calls for brooth.

SNIP
Cool!

My grandma used to make stock from whatever bones that she had from preparing meals for the week.  Miss the soups she used to make.

I was mostly wondering if you were making all that stock from your homegrown birds and I remembered that you had a bunch of quail. 

London808

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »
Cool!

My grandma used to make stock from whatever bones that she had from preparing meals for the week.  Miss the soups she used to make.

I was mostly wondering if you were making all that stock from your homegrown birds and I remembered that you had a bunch of quail.

First of THANK you for knowing how to snip out the videos, one of my pet peeves is people quoting shit that don’t need to be quoted.

I think I mention it in the video, I save almost all of my bird bones. I thrown them in a ziplock bag in the freezer and when it’s full I use them to make stock. 

The quail I used were freezer burnt. That being said I would probably throw some into stock  in The future as well.

The cost of buying stock is crazy compared to that of making it, especially when you use leftovers as your bone bases.

You could buy a Costco chicken and get 5-10 gallons of stock for the same price as buying a couple of qts

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
First of THANK you for knowing how to snip out the videos, one of my pet peeves is people quoting shit that don’t need to be quoted.

I think I mention it in the video, I save almost all of my bird bones. I thrown them in a ziplock bag in the freezer and when it’s full I use them to make stock. 

The quail I used were freezer burnt. That being said I would probably throw some into stock  in The future as well.

The cost of buying stock is crazy compared to that of making it, especially when you use leftovers as your bone bases.

You could buy a Costco chicken and get 5-10 gallons of stock for the same price as buying a couple of qts
I actually didn't get to watch the videos yet.  I will soon though.

Regarding the saving of bones, I used to buy the Costco/Sams/etc whole roasted chicken for my grandma.  I buy them too, but I have been tossing the bones.  Had been meaning to save to make soup, but just had not gotten around to it.  My grandma used to have a huge second freezer, so she had a lot more room to store and save the bones in preparation for making stock. 

And yeah, that quoting unnecessary thing is annoying. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
Thinking of storing salt.  Easier than other flavoring items.  Does it really expire?  Label says "from deep in the earth 2 million years ago".  But XP says 2019 or some stuff like that. So all of a sudden it expires?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Thinking of storing salt.  Easier than other flavoring items.  Does it really expire?  Label says "from deep in the earth 2 million years ago".  But XP says 2019 or some stuff like that. So all of a sudden it expires?
https://themeadow.com/pages/guide-to-himalayan-salt-blocks

https://www.amazon.com/IndusClassic-Himalayan-Cooking-Grilling-Seasoning/dp/B00GUOOQTG/ref=sr_1_13_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1529709938&sr=8-13&keywords=salt%2Bblock%2Bfor%2Bgrilling&th=1

https://youtu.be/5YwkUC8V1Mw
Liberal:  Someone who is passionately concerned with issues about which they know absolutely nothing.

Rocky

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »

Simply put, NO salt does not expire.
unless it's been flavored Eg garlic salt, celery salt
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 08:10:29 AM »

Nice vid London.  :thumbsup:
Though I would put more emphasis on the importance of temperatures, sterility and sterile environment.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

London808

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Nice vid London.  :thumbsup:
Though I would put more emphasis on the importance of temperatures, sterility and sterile environment.

Because im pressure canning their is no need to sterilize the jars, they just need to be cleaned well with soap and water and rinsed thoroughly before filling, The temperature is not important either because we are bringing the water inside to a boil to create steam/pressure and holding the food at that pressure for more then 10 minutes. Of course you should work in a food safe environment using common sense.

USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
"Empty jars used for vegetables, meats, and fruits to be processed in a pressure canner need not
be presterilized. It is also unnecessary to presterilize jars for fruits, tomatoes, and pickled or
fermented foods that will be processed 10 minutes or longer in a boiling-water canner."

The biggest risk of pressure canning is botulism, pretty much everything else is killed or cant grow in the environment inside the jars. If you follow a known recipe you have as much chance of getting botulism from home canned food as you do from store bought cans.

Follow the instructions that come with your canner and this is a great website for those interested.  https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html