Project X (Read 6846 times)

Bota-CS1

Project X
« on: June 23, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »
PROJECT X:
Part 1 - Parts and Accessories


One of the rifles on my personal bucket list recently became available locally so I didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger.  I'd been making small purchases here and there over the past year in anticipation that I'd be able to get my hands on the SCAR 17S locally.  I know I could have bought it online from some random person or store on the mainland, but I was hesitant to since the SCAR 17S is in such demand, I felt the risk of getting scammed was too high.  So I waited patiently and it paid off in the end.  While I was waiting, I did my research on the various forums reading about what other SCAR owners had to say about their rifles.  From there I created a list of parts I thought would work well together and give me the "SBR but not an actual SBR" look and feel I wanted.  To be clear I consider this a project gun rather than a full build since I really didn't build anything from scratch.  It's not like I bought a stripped lower and added in the parts kit and then assembled my upper from selected parts - all of that was already done for me.  So I ended up calling this Project X since I couldn't think of any cool names at the time and it just stuck.


My first purchase was the Geissele Super SCAR trigger during a Fourth of July sale last year ( https://geissele.com/ ).  I've always had an affinity for Geissele since I first installed one on my AR.  It is worth EVERY PENNY!  The take up is smooth and crisp and the second stage breaks line glass.  The first stage is roughly 1.5 lbs, and the second is 2.5.  Once you break your shot, the reset is distinct.  I know there are many other great after market trigger out there like Timney and the like, but Geissele will continue to get my business.  This is unless, of course, Geissele gets bought out by Bushmaster who then changes the company name, and then screws up one of the most innovative designs in the past 25 years by doubling the price and sinking it behind it's other projects.  But I digress.  The trigger was the only internal upgrade that I made since there isn't anything internally IMO on the SCAR 17S that needs to be changed.

On the outside I knew the UGG boot stock would need to go.  I never liked how the feel of it - it feels hollow and weak to me.  This is/was my biggest issue with the SCAR.  I also can say that I wouldn't be confident in the OEM latch holding up to folding and unfolding - many other users complained about the latch breaking from them slamming the stock closed.  So while researching alternative stocks I came across Kinetic Development Group ( https://kineticdg.com/ ) .  They make a hinge that's compatible with the SCAR 17S and they just stick a Magpul ACR stock onto it.  I haven't read of anyone having problems with this stock so I purchased one along with their 4.9" MREX MLOK handguard.  I spent some time chatting with them at their booth last show and they seemed to be a down to earth bunch of guys.  So I've always kept them in the back of my mind.

So now that one of my main complaints about the SCAR was addressed I turned my attention to finding a solution that I could live with when it came to the reciprocating charging handle.  I could see a number of situations where the movement of the charging handle is less than ideal - urban prone, or on your back with the handle mounted on the left side like most right handers prefer.  I wanted a handle that wouldn't get hung up on gear or the ground and cause a malfunction.  I wanted a handle that could fold out of the way entirely, which would have been ideal, or short of that be very minimal in profile.  I searched and google'd until I came across Taylor Tactical ( https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/  ). They manufacture a folding SCAR charging handle that you can use with two fingers and won't bust your knuckles against your optic knobs.  Second issue resolved.

With the charging handle issue solved, I focused on finding a company that could provide a majority of the fire control components I wanted.  Low and behold Parker Mountain Machine ( http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/ ).  I picked up their B.C.D, one of their modified Magpul grips, their ERGO selector levers, and Extended Mag release.

What really tied the project together was the BE Meyers 240F-M60 flash hider.  It's a beefy flash hider at 4" long and 7 oz. in weight.  I picked it up from LaRue Tactical ( https://www.larue.com/ ) which is how I got the Dillo Dust.

All in all I was very satisfied with the parts and now it would be up to the local shops to finish what I couldn't do myself.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:30:17 PM by Bota-CS1 »
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

oldfart

Re: Project X
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
Nice project :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
PROJECT X:
Part 2 - Mods and Paint


To achieve that SBR look I wanted I knew I'd have to sacrifice velocity by cutting it down.  Luckily for me Wayne at Pacific Custom Rifles on Republican street - great street btw - was willing to take on the work.  Before I went to see him I roughly measured out where I wanted him to cut and pin & weld my flash hider.  Turns out my rough measuring job was pretty much spot on and he proceeded. At the same time Wayne was wroking on the barrel and other fire control components, I asked Craig at RedLetter Industries to paint the KDG stock and lower in FDE to match the KDG handguard.  I've had work done with both of them before and have never been disappointed with their quality.


No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

Re: Project X
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
Cool project!

Is a scope on the list? Or you gonna stay with the EoTech for a while?

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
PROJECT X:
Part 3 - Performance, where the rubber meets the road


I started off at 50 yards and using the same mag for every string of fire, I went through almost 200 rounds of .308 to see which load gave me the best results.  I had mostly 150 grain Aguilla BTs and 168 grain American Eagle OTMs to start off with.  I then walked my target out to 100 yards and again shot 3 and 5 shot strings of 168s, 175 grain Match Kings, and 180 grain Fed Soft Points.  The results of which I posted below.  Things got really weird with the 180 grain loads at 100.  As you'll see I got the frist two on paper and the next 3 I have no clue where they went  :rofl:.  I mean they're somewhere, just not on the paper.  If any of you find 3 180 grain soft points between stalls 40 and 77 let me know 'cuz they're probably mine.  ;D

I didn't use any magnified optics or scope, just my EoTech and Mk.I eyeball at all distances.  Also, all of these were off the bench, with just that little wooden rest, no sled or anything fancy like that.  I do wish I had bought a chronometer to see how the velocity was impacted by the loss of 4" on the barrel.

No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »
Nice project :thumbsup:

Thanks OF.  Just trying to share what little knowledge/experience I have.   :shaka:
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Cool project!

Is a scope on the list? Or you gonna stay with the EoTech for a while?

Thanks Drck1000.  I'm pretty happy with the EoTech for now.  If I end up getting another barrel (16" or more) then I'd probably look at some sort of glass.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

macsak

Re: Project X
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
PROJECT X:
Part 3 - Performance, where the rubber meets the road


I started off at 50 yards and using the same mag for every string of fire, I went through almost 200 rounds of .308 to see which load gave me the best results.  I had mostly 150 grain Aguilla BTs and 168 grain American Eagle OTMs to start off with.  I then walked my target out to 100 yards and again shot 3 and 5 shot strings of 168s, 175 grain Match Kings, and 180 grain Fed Soft Points.  The results of which I posted below.  Things got really weird with the 180 grain loads at 100.  As you'll see I got the frist two on paper and the next 3 I have no clue where they went  :rofl:.  I mean they're somewhere, just not on the paper.  If any of you find 3 180 grain soft points between stalls 40 and 77 let me know 'cuz they're probably mine.  ;D

I didn't use any magnified optics or scope, just my EoTech and Mk.I eyeball at all distances.  Also, all of these were off the bench, with just that little wooden rest, no sled or anything fancy like that.  I do wish I had bought a chronometer to see how the velocity was impacted by the loss of 4" on the barrel.

I think all the rounds are in the same hole on the 8 ring at 6:30
 :worship: :worship: :worship:

stangzilla

Re: Project X
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 04:48:22 AM »

drck1000

Re: Project X
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
Thanks Drck1000.  I'm pretty happy with the EoTech for now.  If I end up getting another barrel (16" or more) then I'd probably look at some sort of glass.
Gotcha.  Was just thinking that glass for a gun like that can get pricey. 

Hope you enjoy the gun!  Cool to get a bucket list type gun. 

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
I'm about 800 rounds in now on the 17s and I'm not disappointed at all.  I'm sure other gas piston owners would echo this, but the gun runs very clean.  I cleaned it before I took it out the first time and shot 200 rounds and after that session.  After an additional 600 rounds, the chamber is a little dirty, nothing a quick wipe down with a q-tip and cleaner wouldn't solve, and the barrel looks clean.  There's no burnt powder residue left behind that's clearly visible to the eye.  There was some powder and what I suspect was copper residue, due to the greenish-blue coloration, on the front sight post right above the gas block.  This wasn't unexpected and came off easily with some cleaner and a dental scraper.  I put some Fireclean on the post and around the gas port - being careful not to get any inside the port itself - to make removing any future residue deposits easier to remove.  The bolt carrier group and the lower only needed a very superficial wipe down.   No issues at all with the rifle.  Not sure how the 17S got the reputation as a scope killer since I've not had any problems whatsoever.


 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Heavies

Re: Project X
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Looks like an awesome project.  Wonder if the shorten BBL stabilizes the 180grainers?  It should, but if the velocity is too low it might not be.  The two holes in the target don't seem to be wobbly, but I don't know, I think 10 twist would be better for the heavier projectiles.  I have a 13 twist bolt gun that stabilizes 185 grainers, but that's out of a 30" BBL and running around 2550-2600(HOT load)..   Maybe?

Great project though!  Following... 

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Looks like an awesome project.  Wonder if the shorten BBL stabilizes the 180grainers?  It should, but if the velocity is too low it might not be.  The two holes in the target don't seem to be wobbly, but I don't know, I think 10 twist would be better for the heavier projectiles.  I have a 13 twist bolt gun that stabilizes 185 grainers, but that's out of a 30" BBL and running around 2550-2600(HOT load)..   Maybe?

Great project though!  Following...

 :shaka:  mahalos
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: Project X
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »
I finally got around to installing the Handl Defense lower and doing a function check/shoot at HDF's open shoot today.  I didn't have all the tools or the time to do the work myself so I had Wayne at Pacific Customer Rifles to swap my parts from the OEM lower to the new Handl one.  The first thing he noticed was that theGen 3 Pamgs don't fit due to a change in external geometry so I had to dremel bit by bit in three different.  I dremeled the rib down so it would fit the flared magwell of the Handl. It was then I noticed the bolt was riding on the bolt catch because the catch was sitting on the follower.  The dremel came out again until I ground off enough for proper function.  This was last month and things would have to wait until today before I could get the time to do a live fire test..

I noticed that the back area of the lower was the issue, it was slightly too wide to fit the aftermarket stock plate.  I ground very slowly just taking off a minute amount each time before test fitting it again.  It took me two hours of slow progress until I got it to where it would fit, even then I had to use a nylon hammer and punch to get the lower on and off for test fitting.  The end result was ugly to say the least, but you can't see it unless the lower is off.  I don't know if the guy who makes these is a machinist by trade, but I don't think I should have to grin that much material off in order for proper fit.  Yeesh.  The selector is a little bit sloppy with some play before the detent engages on S and F.  I laugh because the lower is marked with an A - I can only wish.

When I got it to the range I loaded one round to be safe and the SCAR fired properly.  I noticed the recoil impulse was different and loaded fired 9 rounds just to make sure.  Then dumped a 10 round string into my paper - my apologizes to the couple shooting next to me.  The Handl has a slightly softer recoil impulse, it's just different now.  This may be due to the difference between bench shooting vs. standing.  Despite what I had to go through to get this lower, and all the mods I had to do, I'm pleased with the outcome.  If I can just find a PDW collapsible stock....... 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.