Ala Moana Shopping Center (Read 9331 times)

changemyoil66

Ala Moana Shopping Center
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
In preparation for the 4th, they got unarmed K-9 (private contractors) walking around.

I remember in Vegas, some hotels had this.  I asked the handler if I may pet and he said yes.  I forgot that I was carrying.  But dog didn't notice.  Pretty sure they're trained to sniff drugs and explosives.

Planet Hollywood also had k9.  A metro stopped to pet the dog and the handler gave him scoldings "don't pet the dog"  in a stern and quick response. 

zippz

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
I've never heard of dogs trained to detect weapons.  Difficult to do since the dog is surrounded by guns carried by their handler and police and ccw holders.  Criminals intending to do harm usually look suspicious and maybe spotted by trained personnel or be deterred by law enforcement and CCW presence.

Explosives are harder to visually detect since it can be left in unattended bags, vehicle bombs, or stowed out of sight which makes the use of dogs better.

Bota-CS1

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
I've never heard of dogs trained to detect weapons.  Difficult to do since the dog is surrounded by guns carried by their handler and police and ccw holders.  Criminals intending to do harm usually look suspicious and maybe spotted by trained personnel or be deterred by law enforcement and CCW presence.

Explosives are harder to visually detect since it can be left in unattended bags, vehicle bombs, or stowed out of sight which makes the use of dogs better.

Border Patrol has dogs trained to sniff out weapons, ammo, and cash headed south.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

eyeeatingfish

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »
Unarmed k-9s?

What do the armed ones carry?  Bark activated head mounted Glock?

macsak

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Unarmed k-9s?

What do the armed ones carry?  Bark activated head mounted Glock?

lay-zer beams attached to their heads

zippz

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
Border Patrol has dogs trained to sniff out weapons, ammo, and cash headed south.

I shouldve clarified for events and public areas.  Would get a lot of false positives from people with gun residue on their clothing and bags, confusion with LEs in the area, along with spotlighting undercover LEs, Leosas, and CCW holders.

changemyoil66

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
I shouldve clarified for events and public areas.  Would get a lot of false positives from people with gun residue on their clothing and bags, confusion with LEs in the area, along with spotlighting undercover LEs, Leosas, and CCW holders.
One trip went to the indoor range b4 we left. Got swabbed and nothing. Pretty sure it excludes gunpowder.

"My blind seeing eye dog."
"What would anyone want with a blind dog".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zippz

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
One trip went to the indoor range b4 we left. Got swabbed and nothing. Pretty sure it excludes gunpowder.

Yea, I throw my brass into my backpack where it turns black.  I made it through the machine and swabs every time.

dustoff003

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Dogs will do narcotics or explosives but not both there are dual purpose dogs that will do patrol/narcotics and or patrol/explosives.

Bushido

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Yea, I throw my brass into my backpack where it turns black.  I made it through the machine and swabs every time.

I had my laptop and bags swabbed on a recent trip. While being inspected, I asked the agent if I traveled with my rucksack that I use as my range bag if I would get flagged. He said probably and best not to use it. 

macsak

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
I had my laptop and bags swabbed on a recent trip. While being inspected, I asked the agent if I traveled with my rucksack that I use as my range bag if I would get flagged. He said probably and best not to use it.

I was told by patients that work for TSA that they swab for bomb making materials, GSR/powder will not set off warnings

ren

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:12:07 PM »
they swabbed my rifles
had to open up the case and they swabbed my entire AR. I was traveling on mil orders too.  ???
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
I was told by patients that work for TSA that they swab for bomb making materials, GSR/powder will not set off warnings

x2

I asked and got the same response as well. They are looking for stuff that will blow up the plane.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Bushido

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
I was told by patients that work for TSA that they swab for bomb making materials, GSR/powder will not set off warnings

Thanks I'll use my range pack as a carry on.

oldfart

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
Unarmed k-9s?

What do the armed ones carry?  Bark activated head mounted Glock?

===

yes, but some prefer strong-side carry
What, Me Worry?

macsak

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
Thanks I'll use my range pack as a carry on.

just be sure to look everywhere, even under the liner for loose rounds...

drck1000

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
After a class on the mainland, I was at the airport checking in with the instructor.  My case went first and nothing, but his case got flagged.  The only thing he could think of was that they had been doing explosive breaches the prior week.  That said, his rifle case wasn't flagged on the flight out. 

I've had my carry on get flagged for a search a couple of times after a swab.  I don't use my carry on for anything else besides travel and occasionally for work when I'm away on business. 

changemyoil66

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »
Thanks I'll use my range pack as a carry on.

I would use a different bag for traveling.  IDK if other states treat ammo and firearms alike.  Nevada doesn't.  But I've heard horror stories of NY.  So just to be safe.  Those loose rounds end up everywhere. Had 1 in my pant cuff once.  Didn't realize until I was doing laundry.

Bota-CS1

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
I would use a different bag for traveling.  IDK if other states treat ammo and firearms alike.  Nevada doesn't.  But I've heard horror stories of NY.  So just to be safe.  Those loose rounds end up everywhere. Had 1 in my pant cuff once.  Didn't realize until I was doing laundry.

Yeah the wife got pissed when she found a loose round in the washer.   ;D  Oops mah bad.  To lessen your headaches, I wouldn’t recommend using range bags as carry-ons. I got stopped at TSA at HNL because I used my range bag.  It would seem from everyone’s responses so far testing seems to be inconsistent.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

Re: Ala Moana Shopping Center
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
Yeah the wife got pissed when she found a loose round in the washer.   ;D  Oops mah bad.  To lessen your headaches, I wouldn’t recommend using range bags as carry-ons. I got stopped at TSA at HNL because I used my range bag.  It would seem from everyone’s responses so far testing seems to be inconsistent.
I find live round in my dryer here and there.  Usually 9 mm that seem to end up in my pants pocket no matter if I remember to try to empty out my pockets when I get home.   :o