AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle (Read 5825 times)

drck1000

AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
Do you use the newer (many years now) AR pistol grips that have a more vertical angle?

I ordered a BCM Mod 1 recently to try and see if I could notice a difference. My current preferred grip is the standard size Tango Down. The A2 is ok, but could do without the finger ledge thing.

Installed on the beater AR and was doing some dry fire. Felt different, but not something I thought was drastic or an “aha moment”or anything like that. Will have to see when I able to shoot it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:01:05 PM by drck1000 »

robtmc

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
Do you use the newer (many years now) AR pistol grips that have a more vertical angle?

A database of the angles of available grips would be nice. 

I bought a couple only to find with my fixed stocks that the original angle works best.  Seems the more vertical angle is a collapsed stock thing, so not of use for me.

No one seems to bother detailing angle.

drck1000

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
A database of the angles of available grips would be nice. 

I bought a couple only to find with my fixed stocks that the original angle works best.  Seems the more vertical angle is a collapsed stock thing, so not of use for me.

No one seems to bother detailing angle.
The BCM site has some examples of body positions that the original and more vertical grips were supposedly based on. Maybe I’m just used to the original grip. But like anything, I wanted to give it a try.

Bushido

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 09:23:50 PM »
I prefer the more vertical grips like the BCM and Ergo compared to the A2 style. I just bought a Ergo Swift that is really cheap but feels good and I like the aggressive texture. Some companies have taken the vertical grip way too far and are like 90'.

drck1000

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
I prefer the more vertical grips like the BCM and Ergo compared to the A2 style. I just bought a Ergo Swift that is really cheap but feels good and I like the aggressive texture. Some companies have taken the vertical grip way too far and are like 90'.
I was considering trying the B5 grip that has a more vertical angle.  But I needed another item from BCM, so I ended up ordering their grip.  Thankfully these grips aren't that pricey. 

I like grips with a bit more texture too.  I hated the Hogue rubberized grip that came with my LMT. 

zippz

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
Never tried anything with more angle to it.  Seems like it would be less ergonomic and affect recoil control and ability to press the stock into your shoulder.

WTF?Shane

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
Never tried anything with more angle to it.  Seems like it would be less ergonomic and affect recoil control and ability to press the stock into your shoulder.

Best way to find out is to try one out.  ;)

Wake27

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
The BCM grip was the first product of theirs that I tried. It was also before all of the other companies came along and released similar products. I shot the A2 enough to know that I hated it, but not enough to get used to it. The first time I tried a BCM grip was like the enlightenment and I’ve been a BCM fanboy ever since. The way I see it, BCM is the gold standard for anything and everything AR. There are better in some instances (Geissele triggers for example), but you can never go wrong and it’s actually very  hard to beat BCM in almost every case. The one exception is their lowers. To me, the Magpul M3 PMAG is the best magazine there is, and the fact that not all BCM lowers are compatible is a severe disappointment.

mangosteenqueen

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
I have a bcm grip and I have small hands. My complaints would be that it doesn’t have as much meat as magpul grips, in other words it’s not thick/wide enough like magpul. The other issue would be the lack of aggressive texture, but that was easily fixed by stippling it with one of those wood burner pen kits you can find in the arts/crafts section at Walmart.

However, magpul MOE grip is still king imo.

drck1000

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
The BCM grip was the first product of theirs that I tried. It was also before all of the other companies came along and released similar products. I shot the A2 enough to know that I hated it, but not enough to get used to it. The first time I tried a BCM grip was like the enlightenment and I’ve been a BCM fanboy ever since. The way I see it, BCM is the gold standard for anything and everything AR. There are better in some instances (Geissele triggers for example), but you can never go wrong and it’s actually very  hard to beat BCM in almost every case. The one exception is their lowers. To me, the Magpul M3 PMAG is the best magazine there is, and the fact that not all BCM lowers are compatible is a severe disappointment.
I like BCM stuff and order from them often. My second AR was a BCM and still have it. I think they make quality stuff and are reasonably priced.

I read about the PMAG M3 issue with BCM lowers. Almost made me buy a few M3 mags to try out for myself. My other lowers are Colt and LMT, which I read didn’t suffer the issue. I have so many USGI mags that I don’t really “need” more mags. Haha

drck1000

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
I have a bcm grip and I have small hands. My complaints would be that it doesn’t have as much meat as magpul grips, in other words it’s not thick/wide enough like magpul. The other issue would be the lack of aggressive texture, but that was easily fixed by stippling it with one of those wood burner pen kits you can find in the arts/crafts section at Walmart.

However, magpul MOE grip is still king imo.
You have small hands but are looking for a more meaty grip? You mean a grip that I are wider? I believe the BCM MOD 3 [ETA the 3 in there] is their “meaty” version being slightly wider than the MOD 1 and 2.

I have a Magpul AK grip. To me it’s ok. Personal preference. I just don’t like the rubbery grips like Hogue. I too like grips with a bit more texture as my hands get a little sweaty.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:44:33 AM by drck1000 »

mangosteenqueen

Re: AR Pistol Grips - More Vertical Angle
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
You have small hands but are looking for a more meaty grip? You mean a grip that I are wider? I believe the BCM MOD is their “meaty” version being slightly wider than the MOD 1 and 2.

I have a Magpul AK grip. To me it’s ok. Personal preference. I just don’t like the rubbery grips like Hogue. I too like grips with a bit more texture as my hands get a little sweaty.

Yeah I’m pretty sure I have their “meaty” version.