Any hams out there? (Read 8696 times)

Tom_G

Any hams out there?
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »
Hurricane season always gets me thinking about prep. And somewhere in that cycle, I come up against amateur radio. I start doing a bit of research, discover that it's more than a weekend's worth of effort, and set it aside.

Probably, just like us, there are groups of enthusiasts out there who would love to help me fall down the rabbit hole. Any one of you an "overlapper?"
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Q

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »
Hurricane season always gets me thinking about prep. And somewhere in that cycle, I come up against amateur radio. I start doing a bit of research, discover that it's more than a weekend's worth of effort, and set it aside.

Probably, just like us, there are groups of enthusiasts out there who would love to help me fall down the rabbit hole. Any one of you an "overlapper?"

Contact jl808

Jl808

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

drck1000

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »
Great timing for this thread as I've been looking into comms recently.  Mostly the stuff that's just below HAM radios, but going to the "real deal" is fine too.  Will start with the links that Jl posted.   :thumbsup:

Drakiir84

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
I've often thought about jumping down that same rabbit hole..........
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »
I've often thought about jumping down that same rabbit hole..........
You're not the kind of HAM TomG is looking for. . .  ;D

Drakiir84

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 07:31:48 AM »
You're not the kind of HAM TomG is looking for. . .  ;D

 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Damnit.....
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

zippz

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
I was interested in getting into ham by getting a cheap baofeng radio.  I still gotta do the FCC test.  Use it for hiking and emergencies.

zippz

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
I checkout the HAM radio thread o. Ar15 once in a while.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/

drck1000

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I was interested in getting into ham by getting a cheap baofeng radio.  I still gotta do the FCC test.  Use it for hiking and emergencies.
The Baofeng was what I and a few buddies were gonna start with. Also wanted more range for contact with my dad, but he doesn’t “need” it anymore.

hvybarrels

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »
I got my ticket and a Baofeng a few years ago and was getting into the local nets for a while but started another intensive course of study and let it slide. It was great during the missile scare because the hams new it was a false alarm way before anyone else.

EARC are pretty cool people and more than a few of them are into firearms as well. Going to meetings can be a little intimidating but the best way to socialize and find an elmer is to volunteer for antenna building, repeater maintenance, etc.

If you want to get your Technician ticket it's pretty easy. Just go to one of the websites that have the practice exam and keep taking it until you remember all the answers. Once enough guys get it we can start up a regular 2A net.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

robtmc

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
If and when any of you guys do get a HAM license, carefully consider sharing your new callsign on the 'net or other public venue.

Anyone can find out your personal info like real name, age and address online easily from the license.

I stopped making it public a long time ago.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
If and when any of you guys do get a HAM license, carefully consider sharing your new callsign on the 'net or other public venue.

Anyone can find out your personal info like real name, age and address online easily from the license.

I stopped making it public a long time ago.

I guess you won't be going for this?

http://www.kh6rs.com/blog/get-amateur-radio-call-sign-vehicle-license-plates-hamradio
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:56:55 PM »
One of the issues with the internet is anonymity. It allows people to put on their worst persona and kick political correctness in the nuts to blow off steam. The great thing about the HAM community is that it's fairly well regulated and people get held accountable for their behavior so it's a much more pleasant experience overall.

That said if you posted lots of pictures of expensive guns and extensive preps to the forum then it's probably not a good idea to tie your 2a handle to your license.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

robtmc

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
That said if you posted lots of pictures of expensive guns and extensive preps to the forum then it's probably not a good idea to tie your 2a handle to your license.
Related, there are certain leftist trolls on my local "news" site that would gleefully call in a swatting on me if they knew my address.   

It is for the well publicized use of swatting and similar intimidation tricks that I avoid any public mention of personal info.

I do have a Vietnam Veteran license plate, not sure how that might hurt or help.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:55:59 AM by robtmc »

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
Related, there are certain leftist trolls on my local "news" site that would gleefully call in a swatting on me if they knew my address.   

It is for the well publicized use of swatting and similar intimidation tricks that I avoid any public mention of personal info.

I do have a Vietnam Veteran license plate, not sure how that might hurt or help.

SWAT-ing is just one reason I don't have my name/face on Twitter or FB.  I see people all the time calling each other BOTS and Trolls for having false identity info in our profiles. Those are the very people I don't trust. If they are checking out profiles for real personal info, I have to wonder why.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Jl808

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

dustoff003

Re: Any hams out there?
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
SWAT-ing is just one reason I don't have my name/face on Twitter or FB.  I see people all the time calling each other BOTS and Trolls for having false identity info in our profiles. Those are the very people I don't trust. If they are checking out profiles for real personal info, I have to wonder why.

So your not the Gieco caveman in a AF uniform?