Mark Twain Quotes Regarding Congress (Read 1523 times)

Inspector

Mark Twain Quotes Regarding Congress
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
Mark Twain Quotes Regarding Congress:

Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
- What Is Man?

...the smallest minds and the selfishest souls and the cowardliest hearts that God makes.
- Letter fragment, 1891

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Congressman is the trivialist distinction for a full grown man.
- Notebook #14, Nov. 1877 - July 1878

All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.
- Mark Twain's Autobiography; also in Mark Twain in Eruption

The lightning there is peculiar; it is so convincing, that when it strikes a thing it doesn't leave enough of that thing behind for you to tell whether--Well, you'd think it was something valuable, and a Congressman had been there.
- Mark Twain's Speeches, "The Weather"

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

It is the foreign element that commits our crimes. There is no native criminal class except Congress.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

Whiskey is carried into committee rooms in demijohns and carried out in demagogues.
- Notebook, 1868

...I never can think of Judas Iscariot without losing my temper. To my mind Judas Iscariot was nothing but a low, mean, premature, Congressman.
- "Foster's Case," New York Tribune, 10 March 1873
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

robtmc

Re: Mark Twain Quotes Regarding Congress
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
Considering the long anticipated demise of  McStain:

"I didn't attend his funeral but I did send a nice letter saying I approved of it"
~Mark Twain

mrgaf

Re: Mark Twain Quotes Regarding Congress
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Considering the long anticipated demise of  McStain:

"I didn't attend his funeral but I did send a nice letter saying I approved of it"
~Mark Twain
Ditto!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.