WML (Read 16125 times)

changemyoil66

WML
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:18:42 PM »
Finally ready to add a light to the VP9.

The blackout we had during Olivia made me realize holding a light is a pain in the ass.

Learning toward Streamlight TLR-1. Due to the affordavility.  2nd choice was Surefire x300, but i can get 2 TLR-1s for the price of 1 x300.

Also factoring in that since we cant carry outside of the home, the wml will be sort of a safe queen.  So no need spending the extra on the x300.

Any feedback from personal xp?

1 guy i follow is John Lovell (warrior poet society) and he said him and another instructor who he respects have seen many TLR-1s fall off guns.

No other youtube reviews reported this when comparing the 2. And there are tons comparing the 2.

1 plan on attaching the light when at home, and when going to the range, removing it. This way i dont have to buy a new holster yet. Hence "safe queen".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: WML
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
I have Surefire X300s on both my Glock 17s. I haven’t jrard anything bad about the TLRs, them breaking, etc. I have friends that have them on their HD guns. Think you’ll be fine.

I have holsters for my guns with the X300, so I’ve stuck with them. I wouldn’t think twice to use a TLR.

One thing I learned with the X300 is be careful on solvents used to clean carbon on the lens. The lenses came loose on both my X300s using even a mild carbon cleaner. Surefirr replaces for free,  but they said don’t use solvents. I had been doing the trick of applying a thin coat of lip balm that helps keep the carbon off the lenses, but had been using solvent to clean anyways. If you get carbon on the lenses, those red pencil erasers work well to remove.

I also played around with the finger switch on the X300 as some recommended for one hand use. I didn’t like it as I sometimes would activate the light inadvertently with just my normal shooting grip. Tried it in a low light class and ended up not using it.

changemyoil66

Re: WML
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
Funny u mention the accidental activation with the x300. 1 reason why john lovell didnt like the tlr1 is for that reason. The butterfly switch was to sensative.

In his vid, it even activated when placing the gun back on the table.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: WML
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
Funny u mention the accidental activation with the x300. 1 reason why john lovell didnt like the tlr1 is for that reason. The butterfly switch was to sensative.

In his vid, it even activated when placing the gun back on the table.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Really? Never heard of that, but I don’t own a TLR. I’ve shot guns with them and they didn’t seem super sensitive. Maybe as they get worn in quite a bit.

I’ve heard some say that attaching the light can cause some guns to malfunction or otherwise shoot differently. That the mount can change the flexing of the frame enough to cause issues. That hasn’t been the case for me. I’ve shot thousands of rounds with my 17s, with and without the X300 and can’t say I noticed any performance of function differences.

I recall reading articles about some LE departments not allowing WMLs since they saw a trend in ADs/NDs (whatever). I don’t recall what the conclusions were though. Did a quick google search and there are a bunch of articles.

changemyoil66

Re: WML
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Really? Never heard of that, but I don’t own a TLR. I’ve shot guns with them and they didn’t seem super sensitive. Maybe as they get worn in quite a bit.

I’ve heard some say that attaching the light can cause some guns to malfunction or otherwise shoot differently. That the mount can change the flexing of the frame enough to cause issues. That hasn’t been the case for me. I’ve shot thousands of rounds with my 17s, with and without the X300 and can’t say I noticed any performance of function differences.

I recall reading articles about some LE departments not allowing WMLs since they saw a trend in ADs/NDs (whatever). I don’t recall what the conclusions were though. Did a quick google search and there are a bunch of articles.
Sounds political, cause many LEs have them on now. Maybe they didnt want to spend the additional $$$. And not sure how it can cause an AD.

The frame flexing i did read about. Thats why many now are just hand tight and no tool to tighten.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Re: WML
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Sounds political, cause many LEs have them on now. Maybe they didnt want to spend the additional $$$. And not sure how it can cause an AD.

The frame flexing i did read about. Thats why many now are just hand tight and no tool to tighten.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From my reading last year or so, the issue with ND and lights was in the design. Some lights on pistols have the switch where the right index finger activates it.  Well, that's the trigger finger.  Under stress, it's very easy to have the finger go to turn on the light, but the operator squeezes the trigger instead.  Similar  to the problem with Serpa holsters and the index finger that releases the retention following through during the draw to the trigger.

Anything that causes the trigger finger to be used takes it away from the front of the trigger guard, which is where it's supposed to stay until ready to fire.

I activate my TLR with the support hand.  It can be switched on with either hand, so I go with what's safest.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Drakiir84

Re: WML
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »
Most of my firearms have surefire, x300's for my handguns.  I trust their liability with my life and their customer service with my money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

WTF?Shane

Re: WML
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
Used Surefires can be found for a decent price.  ;)

drck1000

Re: WML
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
Sounds political, cause many LEs have them on now. Maybe they didnt want to spend the additional $$$. And not sure how it can cause an AD.

The frame flexing i did read about. Thats why many now are just hand tight and no tool to tighten.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Denver incident is what I recall hearing first. Then there was more in the matter. Like FJ said above, seems like the issue appeared  lately due to use of trigger finger to manipulate the light. The articles I read didn’t specify which light.

I was taught to use my support hand to operate the X300 (at least one technique). It has a momentary push on and twist on. The TLR just has the twist on operation.

Most of my firearms have surefire, x300's for my handguns.  I trust their liability with my life and their customer service with my money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk


I’ve been wanting to try the XC1. I’d be down to try an Inforce one as well.

WTF?Shane

Re: WML
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
I was taught to use my support hand to operate the X300 (at least one technique). It has a momentary push on and twist on. The TLR just has the twist on operation.

I have no formal training on use of handgun lights.

Through trial and error I found that pushing up with trigger finger on X300 works best for me. It works well for both hands and one handed, and your finger ends up away from the trigger.

drck1000

Re: WML
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 03:16:37 PM »
I have no formal training on use of handgun lights.

Through trial and error I found that pushing up with trigger finger on X300 works best for me. It works well for both hands and one handed, and your finger ends up away from the trigger.
I’ve taken two no/low light classes, but only only that involved live fire. Neither really taught one way, but encouraged you to try a few different ways.

I too had tried the operation with trigger finger. Both pressing for momentary on and the lever. I tended to go to operating with my support hand thumb. I had gotten used to that method with x300 on my ARs. I also found that I can use the momentary on and still shoot without having to move my finger from the lever to the trigger.

I haven’t shot with the light very much one handed.  Couldn’t use my preferred method then.

eyeeatingfish

Re: WML
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 09:19:49 PM »
I have a number of the inform lights and I like them. Lighter than the competitors.

changemyoil66

Re: WML
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
I have a number of the inform lights and I like them. Lighter than the competitors.

Inforce was my first choice cause it looks cooler, but after reading the reviews and the common issues people have, I changed my mind.

Was looking for the TLR at the gun show, but no one had.  Guess I'll order online.

Oh forgot to add if I do add WML's to my other pistols, it will be all the same.  This way you don't have to remember how to activate them.  So in the long run, the TLR1 will be the most cost effective especially since I have to buy multiple.

changemyoil66

Re: WML
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
I read the reviews and seems no one got a fake Streamlight.  Like how I got a fake TQ and even Surefire, people were getting fake X300's.

WTF?Shane

Re: WML
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

Oh forgot to add if I do add WML's to my other pistols, it will be all the same.  This way you don't have to remember how to activate them.  So in the long run, the TLR1 will be the most cost effective especially since I have to buy multiple.

Get those reps.  ;)

blastoff747

Re: WML
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 01:11:22 AM »
I've bought some viridian x5l gen 2 green laser on ebay for $150.

eyeeatingfish

Re: WML
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
Inforce was my first choice cause it looks cooler, but after reading the reviews and the common issues people have, I changed my mind.

Was looking for the TLR at the gun show, but no one had.  Guess I'll order online.

Oh forgot to add if I do add WML's to my other pistols, it will be all the same.  This way you don't have to remember how to activate them.  So in the long run, the TLR1 will be the most cost effective especially since I have to buy multiple.

The first generation pistol lights from enforce had problems however the second and third generations ones seems to have addressed those problems. Just something to consider.

changemyoil66

Re: WML
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
The first generation pistol lights from enforce had problems however the second and third generations ones seems to have addressed those problems. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the info.  Gonna go with the Streamlight. The inforce has less lumens (800 vs 400) and cost just a little more.  And combined with the negative feed back on Amazon (counterfeit).  So the only site to buy it from would be optics planet, bass, cabela's, or direct.  But the Inforce does look way more cooler.  It's sleek and sexy. 

macsak

Re: WML
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Gonna go with the Streamlight. The inforce has less lumens (800 vs 400) and cost just a little more.  And combined with the negative feed back on Amazon (counterfeit).  So the only site to buy it from would be optics planet, bass, cabela's, or direct.  But the Inforce does look way more cooler.  It's sleek and sexy.

800 lumens in small rooms is a lot...

drck1000

Re: WML
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
800 lumens in small rooms is a lot...
I have a couple of 700-1000+ lumen lights.  They light up my whole living room pretty well (probably around 400 sq ft or so)!

I have the X300 (think 180-200 lumen range) on my handguns and the X300 Ultra (I think I have both the original 500 lumen and the 600 lumen B version) on a couple of long guns.  The original X300 is plenty bright for inside my place.  A buddy has the TLR high lumen version, or whatever it's called.  I think it's 800 lumens.  The throw on that light was pretty impressive.  He lives near the end of row of townhouses and the throw is plenty for lighting up most of the street to the end of the block, probably another 100 yards.   :o