NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu (Read 3150 times)

6716J

NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
Anyone offering up classes in the next 60 days here on Oahu? Specifically the RSO course. I need to renew mine to be legal to cover for the Boy Scouts up at Pupukea.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Drakiir84

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
Check with Cliff Goo to see if he's got any upcoming classes.
http://www.safetyandfirearmseducation.com/Training_Classes.html
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
Check with Cliff Goo to see if he's got any upcoming classes.
http://www.safetyandfirearmseducation.com/Training_Classes.html
Yup.  I took got my RSO training/cert from him.  Good stuff!  I assist him in that class from time to time as well. 

Anyone offering up classes in the next 60 days here on Oahu? Specifically the RSO course. I need to renew mine to be legal to cover for the Boy Scouts up at Pupukea.
Why do you have to renew?  Did you let your NRA credentials lapse?  If there's a requirement for regular renewal or training, I wasn't aware of that.  Good to know if there is.   :thumbsup:

6716J

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
Why do you have to renew?  Did you let your NRA credentials lapse?  If there's a requirement for regular renewal or training, I wasn't aware of that.  Good to know if there is.   :thumbsup:

My RSO cert expires at the end of January. There is a requirement to renew every 2 years

Damn stupid me, I should have just looked first before I leaped. If anyone is already a certified instructor, you can take the online RSO course through NRA. https://rso.nra.org/ It's $125 for the course and you have 90 days to complete it
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
My RSO cert expires at the end of January. There is a requirement to renew every 2 years

Damn stupid me, I should have just looked first before I leaped. If anyone is already a certified instructor, you can take the online RSO course through NRA. https://rso.nra.org/ It's $125 for the course and you have 90 days to complete it
I believe renewal is just paying for the credential renewal, not having to take the course again.  I took the RSO course in 2012 and have renewed three times since and haven't taken a refresher or anything.  If it's needed, then oops  :oops:

ETA: Are you an NRA certified coach?  I think there are renewal qualifications for that (which I am not). 

6716J

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
I believe renewal is just paying for the credential renewal, not having to take the course again.  I took the RSO course in 2012 and have renewed three times since and haven't taken a refresher or anything.  If it's needed, then oops  :oops:

ETA: Are you an NRA certified coach?  I think there are renewal qualifications for that (which I am not).

Hmmm... Then I need more info then from NRA  :-\

No I am not a coach, but want to pursue the pistol and rifle instructor certifications to help the Boy Scouts
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »
Hmmm... Then I need more info then from NRA  :-\

No I am not a coach, but want to pursue the pistol and rifle instructor certifications to help the Boy Scouts
Hopefully you're good with just renewing. 

Go here to check status of your current credentials.  https://www.nrainstructors.org/instructoradmin/verify.aspx

Like you mentioned, it seems like you can take an online RSO course if you are an NRA instructor.  If it indeed turns out that you need the course to renew. 

Drakiir84

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
If you've already taken the NRA RSO course you just have to renew via the instructor portal.  No need to take the course over again.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/instructoradmin/inslogin.aspx
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

6716J

Re: NRA RSO & other courses on Oahu
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
Thanks for all the answers!!!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.