Receiver lapping tool (Read 1154 times)

sa594

Receiver lapping tool
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
Anybody have any experience using the Wheeler AR upper receiver lapping tool vs the Brownells brand? I've read that on some the Wheeler has issues with the face not being trued but others seem to have no problem with theirs (quality control issues?), while I really have not heard much (positive or negative) about the Brownells. Usually just have the shop lap my receivers, but lately have been doing more cerakoted upper builds.  Thanks-

justin1098

Re: Receiver lapping tool
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
I have the wheeler tool. The work face is true enough. I don't believe it matters because it is spinning the highest part would be doing the cutting all the way around.

I have found that all of my uppers were perfectly true from the manufacturer. The weeler tool is useful when I cant get a barrel nut timed at the torque range i want.

sa594

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the response :shaka:

robtmc

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
Kicked the idea of this lapping tool around with a machinist buddy.  He said he would be shocked to find an upper from a reputable shop out of true.  Mentioned all the CNC tooling involved.

The correcting timing makes sense, did that once by taking material off the DPMS forend where the nut is part of the stock.

Read testimonials about reduced shot stringing and all, but wonder if the original installation was good and the redo corrected that.

Still pondering if the loctite on the barrel extension makes any sense. 

sa594

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
Thanks for the response.  :thumbsup:

rpoL98

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »
yeah, I know, old thread, sorry I'm late.  thought I'd add a picture anyways.  Brownells tool, and PTG tool.

ren

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
yeah, I know, old thread, sorry I'm late.  thought I'd add a picture anyways.  Brownells tool, and PTG tool.

wow what tool erased the gas tube hole in the middle receiver? :o

tempted to buy one after reading about lapping and "bedding" the barrel ext. WOA sells oversized barrel exts now. though I don't have the expertise to install one

rpoL98

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
dedicated 9mm upper.  also no forward assist, no shell deflector on that one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:12:54 PM by rpoL98 »

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 10:51:33 PM »

tempted to buy one after reading about lapping and "bedding" the barrel ext. WOA sells oversized barrel exts now. though I don't have the expertise to install one

Read and watched vids on using shim to improve barrel to receiver fit.  Did that on my 6.5 Grendel build.  If it does anything... ???.   Makes me feel good about it. Did not so a before and after.  but the guy who I watched, being a NM gunsmith for ARs and such, had a sound argument in my eyes.

Don't know how well the tools described above does much of anything besides removing the anodizing from the front of the receiver face.  The fact that is must spin inside the bore of the receiver, and that it must only contact that very front portion of the receiver loose enough to spin doesn't seem like it would be perfectly square to the bore of the action.  Also, what about the barrel extension?  how do you know that's perfect? 

I figure, the barrel fit (tightness) is more important than the face of the receiver, unless it is way way off. 

Ref.

ren

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »
Read and watched vids on using shim to improve barrel to receiver fit.  Did that on my 6.5 Grendel build.  If it does anything... ???.   Makes me feel good about it. Did not so a before and after.  but the guy who I watched, being a NM gunsmith for ARs and such, had a sound argument in my eyes.

Don't know how well the tools described above does much of anything besides removing the anodizing from the front of the receiver face.  The fact that is must spin inside the bore of the receiver, and that it must only contact that very front portion of the receiver loose enough to spin doesn't seem like it would be perfectly square to the bore of the action.  Also, what about the barrel extension?  how do you know that's perfect? 

I figure, the barrel fit (tightness) is more important than the face of the receiver, unless it is way way off. 

Ref.

I saw his videos but he gives me the creeps.
I think it was Scandale or someone else on the other forum that mentioned the best way to do it is with a lathe.

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
I saw his videos but he gives me the creeps.
I think it was Scandale or someone else on the other forum that mentioned the best way to do it is with a lathe.

I agree.  that'd be the best way, if you have the tooling for it. 

I did the barrel bedding thing before with the locktight, put release agent inside the receiver before "gluing" it together.  After a year or so I disassembled that upper, had to pop it off using a wood dowel and mallet, and you could see where the locktight had filled in any low spots.