Knife Sharpening - Sharpening Systems and Techniques (Read 1335 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Knife Sharpening - Sharpening Systems and Techniques
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
I've been using this strop which is on a piece of wood with tormek honing compound that was recommended to me to use with leather strop from a guy at woodcraft store in kalihi.
Maybe I need a different compound
Thanks for the video too  :shaka:

I have the green honing compound: chromium oxide and aluminum oxide.  It's equivalent to 400 - 600 grit abrasive.

There are several compounds you could use, most identified by the color.

This was posted  in the Questions section on Amazon for the compound I use:

BLACK = Emery Compound, a course abrasive material for removal of scratches, pits, paint, rust etc.
BROWN = Tripoli compound used for general purpose cut and color on most soft metals.
WHITE = Blizzard compound, used for color and final finish of harder metals, has a cutting action.
RED = Jeweler's Rouge, designed to polish without any cutting action. Safe on thin plates. Use on its own wheel.
BLUE = A dryer, almost greaseless wheel - designed to polish without any cutting action. Safe on thin plates. Use on its own wheel.
GREEN = Used exclusively for Stainless Steel.
I use the green exclusively on a leather strop to polish the cutting edges on my stainless steel carving tools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD35C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.