10mm? (Read 6872 times)

Bota-CS1

10mm?
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »
Been seeing more articles floating around recently and a small increase in 10mm offerings.  For those that have shot 10mm before, thoughts and opinions?  I’m considering 10mm in a pistol caliber carbine (PCC), but I’m hesitant since I don’t want to invest the money only to have 10mm be the caliber du jour.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

hvybarrels

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »
got bears?
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

oldfart

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
I've had a delta for many years. Do you have a specific question?
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »
Not many stores sell that round here.  So unless you got mainland connections and the money, I would say not worth the hassle.

groveler

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
As a rule I stick with Military Ammo types.
It is your best bet for Black market Ammo when Hawaii
goes gun free.
Hawaii will outlaw guns at some point.
I would invest in skills and accuracy.
In this state unless you are "special"
you cannot conceal or open carry in public,
so why pick an odd caliber?
If Hawaii laws are finally tossed out eg. Young V Hawaii,
I'd go open carry Colt .45, concealed carry  a SIg small frame 9mm
or PPKS in .22.
"Aim small,  hit small".

Platinum808

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
I like the 10mm in hot Hunting/self defense but alot of Manufactures are weak .40s&w power I would only consider getting a 1911 platform. Recently shot the new high point carbine in 10mm with hot loads did not care for it at all
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

stangzilla

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:38:24 PM »
if I were to get a Glock, it would be in 10mm. 
can switch barrel to .40caliber and shoot less expensive ammo.
but I always put this thought on the back burner. 
if I already had a .40cal or 2, I would consider the 10mm Glock more, but I don't

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »
I've had a delta for many years. Do you have a specific question?

Not really.  Just your general impressions about the cartridge.  I’m thinking about picking up a 10mm carbine but I’m hesitant since I’m not sure if this current infatuation with 10mm is simply a case of “What’s old is new .”

I remember when the FBI adopted it back in the late 80’s?  I can remember going to Security when it was located directly across the street from the main station and seeing all these 10mm Brens and 1911s in the case looking to be adopted. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:46:59 PM by Bota-CS1 »
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
I like the 10mm in hot Hunting/self defense but alot of Manufactures are weak .40s&w power I would only consider getting a 1911 platform. Recently shot the new high point carbine in 10mm with hot loads did not care for it at all

Interesting.  Good to know.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
As a rule I stick with Military Ammo types.
It is your best bet for Black market Ammo when Hawaii
goes gun free.
Hawaii will outlaw guns at some point.
I would invest in skills and accuracy.
In this state unless you are "special"
you cannot conceal or open carry in public,
so why pick an odd caliber?
If Hawaii laws are finally tossed out eg. Young V Hawaii,
I'd go open carry Colt .45, concealed carry  a SIg small frame 9mm
or PPKS in .22.
"Aim small,  hit small".

9mm or .45 would simplify ammo for me since I already shoot those so you’re right about commonly available calibers.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 07:50:04 PM »
I’ve shot a Glock and 1911 in 10mm here and there. Fun to shoot, but nothing I’d seriously consider owning as it doesn’t rally offer anything performance wise that I value or want.

I think 10 mm in a PCC could be interesting, but for me, ammo cost would rule it out.

jaynick

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
which pcc are you thinking of getting?

I think that unless more factory ammo is loaded hotter for cheaper then i dont think 10mm will ever really grow exponentially like 6.5cm did.

Everyone says to handload for 10mm because underwood and buffalo bore are too expensive to shoot regularly($2 each and not sold here) and the other hot factory premium hollow points are also not regularly stocked here either.
Itd be nice to have powerful 'plinking' ammo at prices closer to .357 mag. Hell ive even picked up bulk decently hot 180gr .44mag for .60 cents a round from ogc. Why cant there be bulk 10mm thats 550+lbs of energy? Most cheap 10mm is only 50fps faster than .40sw but double the price.

Edit:the below doesnt apply to 10mm carbines.

I like 10mm..and am personally more comfortable with a glock type pistol than a revolver.
650-800lbs energy from a 6 inch glock model 40 with hot ammo vs 600-900 for .357 mag or 700-1200lbs from a .44mag of same length, and only overbuilt revolvers can handle the higher power .357 and .44 mag like the ruger superblack hawk. Glock can handle buffalo bore all day with just an uprated 24 pound recoil spring. Not sure about other 10mm pistols.

We're limited to 10 rounds in hawaii but in other states having 15 rounds vs 6 rounds of a revolver is a big difference. They just finally came out with 32rd 10mm mag extensions for the kriss too.




oldfart

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:08:12 AM »
I've had the delta since the mid 90's and have shot it a fair amount with my hot loads.
Recently I've decided to drop to a kinder and gentler load. The fire-breathing hot stuff is uber-fun but....

1. You have to DIY.
2. It is hell on the brass.
3. Buying brass is not hard, but it's not cheap.
4. The carbine barrel might have a loose-goosey chamber which reduces the life of those precious 10mm shells.
5. Hot loads might fling the brass into the next zip code.

I can't really think of any compelling reason to get into a 10mm.
What, Me Worry?

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »
I've had the delta since the mid 90's and have shot it a fair amount with my hot loads.
Recently I've decided to drop to a kinder and gentler load. The fire-breathing hot stuff is uber-fun but....

1. You have to DIY.
2. It is hell on the brass.
3. Buying brass is not hard, but it's not cheap.
4. The carbine barrel might have a loose-goosey chamber which reduces the life of those precious 10mm shells.
5. Hot loads might fling the brass into the next zip code.

I can't really think of any compelling reason to get into a 10mm.

Other than the fun factor and punching slightly larger holes in paper ......meeeh.  For hunting like hvybarrels said unless you’re expecting bear really no need.  Although I think a bear in my neighbor’s house cuz I can hear it clearly at night sleeping.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
Finally found a decent still of the prototype?  Ambi lower with HK style paddle/flapper mag release (no AR Style button release just like the mp5 40 and 10mm).  Appears to use HK .40/10mm stick mags - didn’t think these were around much anymore since the .40/10mm were discontinued awhile ago.  Probably someone manufacturing these state side.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

tim808

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
I’ve owned three 10mm (g20, sw 1006, sw revolver)

I sold them all because ammo is expensive and I’m too lazy to reload.

If i did reload or was rich, I’d have kept them.

Is the pcc going to be a range toy or uninvited guests?  A company called Mean sells a kit to convert pmags to 9mm.
So you could have 30 of 9mm vs 10 of 10mm (assuming g20 mags)

Have you tried a pcc before?  They have a “clunky” feel because (I believe) most are blow back.  I would be inclined to go with slower moving 300bo before going to a pcc for uninvited guests.   That is just a personal preference.

I hear the HRA guys love their pccs for shooting steel with polymer coated ammo

For me, I would try to stay with Ar type pcc.  Lots of cheap available parts and accessories

Good luck and have fun!

Bota-CS1

Re: 10mm?
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
I’ve owned three 10mm (g20, sw 1006, sw revolver)

I sold them all because ammo is expensive and I’m too lazy to reload.

If i did reload or was rich, I’d have kept them.

Is the pcc going to be a range toy or uninvited guests?  A company called Mean sells a kit to convert pmags to 9mm.
So you could have 30 of 9mm vs 10 of 10mm (assuming g20 mags)

Have you tried a pcc before?  They have a “clunky” feel because (I believe) most are blow back.  I would be inclined to go with slower moving 300bo before going to a pcc for uninvited guests.   That is just a personal preference.

I hear the HRA guys love their pccs for shooting steel with polymer coated ammo

For me, I would try to stay with Ar type pcc.  Lots of cheap available parts and accessories

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks.  Like 100% of Hawaii I go to Vegas so I've gotten to shoot a full auto UMP which is blowback - yeah the recoil impulse is not impossible, but it sucks ass.  The Vector is better recoiling, but the controls are all funky.  It's going to be a range toy - I don't hate my neighbors that much.  The angel side says totally not practical an ammo is expensive.  Then the devil says but it'll be totally kick ass.  :-\  Probably not going to be released for awhile anyway - probably trying how to make the components last while taking a beating from accelerating 165+ grain pistol bullets at rifle speeds.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.