Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences (Read 67086 times)

drck1000

Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
Sharing my experience with red dots on handguns.  Feel free to share your experiences as well.

I've long been wanting to try a red dot on handguns, particularly micro dot type milled onto the slide.  I actually bought a ZEV slide with Trijicon RMR Type 2 over a year ago and just now am getting around to shooting more with this setup.  I've shot similar setups before, but those were just a mag here and there. 

First thing I noticed was I need practice on picking up the dot.  Both on the draw and in between shots.  I expect the aspect of picking up the dot on the draw will improve as I get reps in.  I haven't been shooting much in the past 8 months or so, so I'd expect even picking up my front sight to be slower.  The aspect of in between shots will have to see as I shoot this gun more in classes and training, which I hope to do so in the next couple of weeks. 

Second thing I noticed is that I am able to bring down my grouping size quite a bit.  I'm guessing it's because I can focus on the target instead of the front sight.  That and maybe I don't expect to be that precise with irons at 25 yards.  Or at least my excuse when shooting and lower my level of "good enough". 

Third thing I noticed is that shooting with the dot as well as dry firing, I am able to pickup on the bad that can creep in to my shooting.  With dry firing, I can notice the dot jumping around even when the brass on the front sight doesn't fall.  I also am able to better call my bad shots with what I am seeing when shooting. 

Overall, I believe red dots on handguns are great.  I just have to get used to them.  I've spoken to many long time shooters who just can't seem to get over the issue of picking up the dot.  So I will have to see for myself. 

zippz

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:23 AM »
When I fist started with red dots I tended to look low on the slide as if looking through the irons, so the dot would be missing.  I had to get used to looking higher on the slide so I could pickup the dot.

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
When I fist started with red dots I tended to look low on the slide as if looking through the irons, so the dot would be missing.  I had to get used to looking higher on the slide so I could pickup the dot.
I think that was my tendency at first.  My eyes would naturally go to the front sight.  But I think now it's mostly my needing to get the gun on the right plane and level.

Another thing I noticed is that if I want to shoot a tighter group, I have to concentrate more on centering the dot in the window.  Slight deviations result in quite a noticeable difference.  I mean I was still generally able to keep things on an 8" target at 25 yards.  Definitely not as forgiving as say an Aimpoint or EoTech on an AR, but I'm guessing that's mostly because of consistency afforded by the cheekweld. 

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »
I've used a red dot only on a handful of occasions (not my gun).  And I had trouble hitting steel at 20 yards for time.  I actually was missing so bad that I used the irons instead.  But to be fare, the heart rate was a bumping and I was sweating lots (HDF handgun class).

From what I've heard, it does take some getting used to.  But once you do, it's all gravy.

RSN172

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
A guy at one of my FS classes was nailing the targets with a red dot on his Sig.  Since then I got a green CT laser and during my last class at FS in Oct, I was able to get on target much faster with it.  I was easily able to see the dot in the bright desert sunlight from 10 yards.  What I like about a laser is you don't have to look through it.  I can fire as soon as the gun clears the holster and I see the dot on the target.
Happily living in Puna

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
A guy at one of my FS classes was nailing the targets with a red dot on his Sig.  Since then I got a green CT laser and during my last class at FS in Oct, I was able to get on target much faster with it.  I was easily able to see the dot in the bright desert sunlight from 10 yards.  What I like about a laser is you don't have to look through it.  I can fire as soon as the gun clears the holster and I see the dot on the target.

Lasers might go the way of the bump stock since Aurora...Buy em now so the resale can be $700 while a ban is in the works.

ren

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
if you are focusing on the target before you press the trigger you are doing it wrong
Deeds Not Words

RSN172

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
if you are focusing on the target before you press the trigger you are doing it wrong
I respectfully DISAGREE if it is a close range SD situation.
Happily living in Puna

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
if you are focusing on the target before you press the trigger you are doing it wrong
Including for red dots? Both handguns or long guns?

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
To clarify, I'm not bullseye shooting with red dot.  Seems like there are some bullseye shooters that advocate for focusing on the red dot.  It was my understanding that most modern dots are designed to remain in focus regardless of the plane of focus for your eyes.  But it seems like many bullseye shooters still choose to have a hard focus on the dot.  Interesting.

Here's a video I found about that from bullseye perspective.  It seems like he is advocating for either focus on target or dot, just not something in between.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 12:24:54 PM »
You're supposed to keep both eyes open when shooting.  Having said that, how many don't?

One eye should be seeing the red dot, and the other should be on the target. The brain will place the red dot on the target in the right spot.

There should really be no focusing on either target or red dot required.

However, since most close one eye or train themselves to focus on the front sight, we have to look at the mechanics. A red dot doesn't require front/rear sight alignment. So, focusing on the dot doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Focusing on the target in a fight is much more important than where the dot is. By the time the dot registers in your mind and you get it on target, it's too late unless you're not exposed.

I like to practice keeping both eyes open with the red dot. Even if you're cross-eye dominant, your brain still sees the dot in the correct spot.

Just my 2 cents.  Practice, practice, practice.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
A guy at one of my FS classes was nailing the targets with a red dot on his Sig.  Since then I got a green CT laser and during my last class at FS in Oct, I was able to get on target much faster with it.  I was easily able to see the dot in the bright desert sunlight from 10 yards.  What I like about a laser is you don't have to look through it.  I can fire as soon as the gun clears the holster and I see the dot on the target.
I haven’t shot with laser aiming systems. I looked into them for long gun, but not really for handguns. That said, I wouldn’t mind trying a quality laser aiming system for a handgun. My buddy has a combined light and laser Streamlight, but haven’t really tested it.

RSN172

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
In my last class at FS, the instructor recommended closing one eye.  I will see or ask the instructor what he recommends when I go next week.  In all classes we are concentrating and looking at only the target when drawing and firing.  This is practice for a SD situation.  REN May have been thinking more along the lines of target shooting.  If I was not under time pressure to get a shot off as quickly as possible, I would use the sights, not my laser.

Here is an interesting article to read.
https://www.usacarry.com/always-use-sights-self-defense-shooting/

Happily living in Puna

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »
You're supposed to keep both eyes open when shooting.  Having said that, how many don't?

One eye should be seeing the red dot, and the other should be on the target. The brain will place the red dot on the target in the right spot.

There should really be no focusing on either target or red dot required.

However, since most close one eye or train themselves to focus on the front sight, we have to look at the mechanics. A red dot doesn't require front/rear sight alignment. So, focusing on the dot doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Focusing on the target in a fight is much more important than where the dot is. By the time the dot registers in your mind and you get it on target, it's too late unless you're not exposed.

I like to practice keeping both eyes open with the red dot. Even if you're cross-eye dominant, your brain still sees the dot in the correct spot.

Just my 2 cents.  Practice, practice, practice.
Good point on the keeping both eyes open. I do notice many folks close one eye on purpose and some unconsciously. I’ve found that I tend to at minimum squint my left eye when trying to shoot for more precision, not really on purpose.

Wonder what it would be like if we had chameleon vision.  :P

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43:05 PM »
In my last class at FS, the instructor recommended closing one eye.  I will see or ask the instructor what he recommends when I go next week.  In all classes we are concentrating and looking at only the target when drawing and firing.  This is practice for a SD situation.  REN May have been thinking more along the lines of target shooting.  If I was not under time pressure to get a shot off as quickly as possible, I would use the sights, not my laser.

Here is an interesting article to read.
https://www.usacarry.com/always-use-sights-self-defense-shooting/
Interesting on the recommendation to close one eye.

Different topic, but I recall many videos about focus in defensive encounter. My take away was first that the muscle memory from good draws and front sight focus in training is key. That said, ive only had experience in that with IPSC. 

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Good point on the keeping both eyes open. I do notice many folks close one eye on purpose and some unconsciously. I’ve found that I tend to at minimum squint my left eye when trying to shoot for more precision, not really on purpose.

Wonder what it would be like if we had chameleon vision.  :P

All depends.  I tend to slightly squint 1 eye (guess which one) ;D.  When taking the HDF pistol class and I'm not getting hits with my normal squint, I will then squint a little more, but never close completely.   It seems to help me.  Our events are timed and usually under physical exertion. So things tend to get sloppy.

But in a SD scenario, like Flap said, you're not going to have time to close/squint.  Most likely, both open and ID target and "guesstimate".  Within 7 yards, you should be able to get torso hits by point and shoot.  Somewhere on the torso, rounds don't have to be touching. 

If I have to be super accurate and squint, then the target is very far away and collateral damage is more a worry.  So I may not take that shot.  We're responsible for all rounds (heads) that exit the barrel.

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
All depends.  I tend to slightly squint 1 eye (guess which one) ;D. 
You close BOTH eyes.  :P

 ;D

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
You close BOTH eyes.  :P

 ;D

TQ around the neck to stop bleeding.

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »
TQ around the neck to stop bleeding.
Stop “problem” blood flow closest to source!   :geekdanc:

All depends.  I tend to slightly squint 1 eye (guess which one) ;D.  When taking the HDF pistol class and I'm not getting hits with my normal squint, I will then squint a little more, but never close completely.   It seems to help me.  Our events are timed and usually under physical exertion. So things tend to get sloppy.

But in a SD scenario, like Flap said, you're not going to have time to close/squint.  Most likely, both open and ID target and "guesstimate".  Within 7 yards, you should be able to get torso hits by point and shoot.  Somewhere on the torso, rounds don't have to be touching. 

If I have to be super accurate and squint, then the target is very far away and collateral damage is more a worry.  So I may not take that shot.  We're responsible for all rounds (heads) that exit the barrel.
But seriously, totally understand about shooting under physical exertion and stress, even if self imposed, pressure of competition, someone yelling at you, whatevers.

See post above on focus, sighting, etc under stress. In general, I agree. While I’ve shot with folks that were excellent at point shooting, I believe they built that over many years of working fundamentals. In this one guy’s case, shotgun shooting. His vision got bad enough that his focus on front sight was limiting and couldn’t really see it well unless very static and very calm. He improvised.  But again, I believe it was helped by many years of good practice with sight alignment and sight picture.

All_rice

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:33 AM »
How did you zero your red dot?  The way my red dot sits on my handgun, the dot is on the front sight. 
Land of the free, because of the Brave!