Ebay and the Post Office (Read 1778 times)

kala201

Ebay and the Post Office
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:13 PM »
Last week I won an auction on Ebay for a supposed "open,  but new and never used" rifle stock from a guy in Florida.  At first he was going to send it FedEx, but it would have cost $67.  Next he goes down to the US Post Office and finds out it's only $19.  I tell him fine since the agreed upon shipping to Hawaii was $15 and he says he can stomach the $4 over.  So below is a picture of how he wrapped and sent it.

Today I go down to the airport branch of the post office to pick it up.  The postal worker causes a big commotion and begins lecturing me about firearms and how I am not supposed to send them in the mail like this.  After her little rant I politely and quietly pointed out the following:

1.  It is NOT a rifle or firearm, but a replacement stock for a rifle that is about as dangerous as a stick right now.
2.  I did NOT SEND IT.  I am here to pick up the package and had no idea this is how he wrapped it.  Also I do not know this guy from Adam as I had won it on Ebay.
3.  YOU GUYS, meaning the United States post office accepted it because they printed the postage and attached the tracking label to it.  So instead of lecturing me and making a big scene she should talk to her higher ups and go after the USPS workers in Florida.

After I made those arguements she just stared at me and then agreed that yes the people in Florida were at fault, but still insisted that I should  not send guns in the mail and especially not wrapped like that.  I told her thank you, took my parcel and left.

jase90

Re: Ebay and the Post Office
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »
Well shit. Yeah, to an uneducated mind that is no doubt PERCEIVED as a firearm. Damn, not even a box stuffed with newspaper or napkins.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
That sounds like a perfect time to say, "Is your supervisor here? I'd like to see what they have to say about this."

Then I'd fill their ear full of complaints about being publicly humiliated, and after pointing out she was 100% wrong about the contents, she continued to berate me about sending firearms through the mail.

People need to stop having public outbursts over stuff like this. It's no better than anti-Trump people harassing Republicans in restaurants.
Liberal:  Someone who is passionately concerned with issues about which they know absolutely nothing.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »
Hence, the term "going postal" was born. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

punaperson

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:10:55 AM »
A little hard to believe that anyone is that stupid, except, we are talking about a government employee... in Hawaii...  :rofl:

I bet she'd have handed you a similarly-wrapped stripped AR receiver (an actual firearm according to the bureaucrats) and not said a word.

To quote Mark Walters: "Ignorance left unattended breeds stupidity". And what we have here (this post office employee in particular, and Hawaii in general), ladies and gentlemen, is a huge pile of unattended ignorance.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »
I can understand how someone who knows jack shit about guns can think that its'a fully functioning gun wrapped in there.  But for her to lecture you, is unprofessional.  She should just have you inform the shipper (in a professional tone) instead because as you stated, you didn't send it.  You're just picking it up.

Or call her supervisor for help.  As in if she did think it was a real gun, ask if she's able to release it as is (clarifying policy/law).

mrgaf

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
I can understand how someone who knows jack shit about guns can think that its'a fully functioning gun wrapped in there.  But for her to lecture you, is unprofessional.  She should just have you inform the shipper (in a professional tone) instead because as you stated, you didn't send it.  You're just picking it up.

Or call her supervisor for help.  As in if she did think it was a real gun, ask if she's able to release it as is (clarifying policy/law).
spoke with my son in law in California who is a senior agent with the USPIS. He said no one in Florida did anything wrong. Perfectly legal and that the postal worker here in Honolulu should have kept her mouth shut. He recommended that a talk to her supervisor is in order. He did mention that the person who sent it that way was either ignorant or a fool and should of put it in a box to help protect the stock and prevent the idiot postal clerk from making any stupid comments.   :geekdanc:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

tillamook

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
USPS usually runs over my packages with a tank.  I'd rather get the lecture from the idiot

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
spoke with my son in law in California who is a senior agent with the USPIS. He said no one in Florida did anything wrong. Perfectly legal and that the postal worker here in Honolulu should have kept her mouth shut. He recommended that a talk to her supervisor is in order. He did mention that the person who sent it that way was either ignorant or a fool and should of put it in a box to help protect the stock and prevent the idiot postal clerk from making any stupid comments.   :geekdanc:

I hope you make the call.  Can't let someone who might be anti gun be allowed to go off on unprofessional rants.

mrgaf

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
USPS usually runs over my packages with a tank.  I'd rather get the lecture from the idiot

Holy mackerel!  :shake: :wtf: if it were me I’d take that package back to your servicing Post Office, raise holy hell with them and file a registered complaint. They’ll probably blame it on everyone else down the line but it would give me great pleasure to tell them what I think of them, especially if this happens often.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:48:12 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

mauiblue

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Overall I like USPS over the other shipping carriers (UPS and FedEx) because of the shipping costs and shipping speed. Those flat rate Priority mail shipping boxes are great. The guy that sent the stock to the OP could have gotten a USPS shipping box that actually would have accommodated that gun stock. Oh well.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk

Eric808

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
Priority large box $18.45, the large flat box is $19.95.
But the locations on Oahu that I went to say they don't have the large flat and you have to order them.
"up to 70 lbs." I sent a large flat box that weighed 67lbs.  My friends postal person was not to happy.
No one on this site does anything illegal.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »
Priority large box $18.45, the large flat box is $19.95.
But the locations on Oahu that I went to say they don't have the large flat and you have to order them.
"up to 70 lbs." I sent a large flat box that weighed 67lbs.  My friends postal person was not to happy.
No one on this site does anything illegal.

I always calculate priority postage using the package's size and weight, then compare that cost to the flat rate prices. The weight is what usually tips the scale toward flat rate.

BTW, I took a package to the UPS store in Waipio and was told they could not accept it.  I'd RE-used a flat rate USPS box I'd received in the mail.  Apparently, the Post Office is angry people are getting their free boxes and not paying them for shipping.

So, UPS (and I imagine FedEx) have been forced by USPS to refuse any USPS flat rate boxes.

I found a box slightly larger and shoved the USPS box with contents inside it. I then printed/attached a new label.  They wound up shipping the same USPS box anyway inside an even larger box.   That's one less box I had to break down for blue-toter recycling.   :thumbsup:

Next time, I'll break the seam and refold the box inside out, so only the plain side shows.   :rofl:
Liberal:  Someone who is passionately concerned with issues about which they know absolutely nothing.

Eric808

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
Next time, I'll break the seam and refold the box inside out, so only the plain side shows.

I would say that I have done that and it works, but no one on this site does anything illegal. ;)

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »
Sorry couldn't resist.  Gonna send a dildo to a friend wrapped the same way to see what USPS says.

macsak

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »
Sorry couldn't resist.  Gonna send a dildo to a friend wrapped the same way to see what USPS says.

I have an eccentric cousin on the mainland who is retired USPS
one Christmas, he sent those round glass Christmas ball decorations in Ziploc bags stickers on them for addresses and attached stamps
he said all of them arrived intact

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »
Next time, I'll break the seam and refold the box inside out, so only the plain side shows.

I would say that I have done that and it works, but no one on this site does anything illegal. ;)

I'm positive I've shipped USPS boxes via UPS in the past. The rejection took me by surprise.  I also know I've received packages in the priority and express boxes via non-USPS carriers, but it could be through those "shipping partner" orders.

USPS prints a statement on the box that it's only for USPS use, but it's located on the inside-bottom flap using small font -- it doesn't show when the box is assembled.

This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for
use in sending Priority mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
This packaging is not for resale.

ren

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
I have no idea what that thing is wrapped in all  bubbles. ???
Could be a walking stick of some sort.

kala201

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »

Hmmmm... maybe I’ll try send one to myself and see what that lecture would be like.

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 05:33:02 PM »
Hmmmm... maybe I’ll try send one to myself and see what that lecture would be like.
Do it. But put Mac’s addy as the return addy...

320 S Beretania St,
Honolulu, HI 96813