How to argue with people who are against guns (Read 11430 times)

eyeeatingfish

How to argue with people who are against guns
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »
I have noticed that a lot of the arguments about gun rights have two sides arguing at each other, often with very little constructive outcome. Now maybe it is because the reasonable people aren't the loud ones and we just see the more extreme people getting the attention but I think there is more to it.

I often see it said that the anti-gun liberals are illogical, that they ignore the constitution, and that their arguments are all emotion. I also see some similar types of arguments (in reverse) from the anti-gun crowd as well. Long story short, it seems to be that the two sides only consider arguments that make sense to them. Our position is logical and rational and supported by facts to us but theirs are also to them as well. For a number of possible reasons, things one set of people find convincing  aren't always convincing to another set of people. For example, I don't eat fish and someone could yell and shout and argue how good some fish is but it won't be convincing to me even though to the other person it is an easy case to make. We have to recognize that even though our arguments convince us, they may not be convincing our opponents.

Now where I am going with this is that I think we need a shift in mindset about how we talk and deal with those who are anti gun and especially those who don't have any strong stance on the issue. We can either try to convince them to come to our side or end up fighting them in the future. The current state of firearms fights seem to be trench warfare and legally speaking I think we are slowly loosing ground (with a few important battles being won on our side). Now I will admit, I don't have some magic argument that will win them over but I see a number of arguments that I find to be hurting our cause. Now it isn't necessarily the content of the argument but the presentation. We get angry, insulting, condescending, etc. and then they get defensive. The same works for them against us as well. Then we regress to our dug in positions yelling at each other.

A few ideas to consider but feel free to add your 2 cents. I know this might not be orthodox for our side but I really think we need to evolve our style or I really feel we are going to lose more gun rights.

1. Show them that you can see their point of view. You don't have to agree but when you acknowledge the merit in their position they are more likely to have constructive discussion.
2. If you show you can recognize their arguments they are more likely going to recognize your arguments
3. Don't insult them or their position even if you find it stupid. People get defensive and then the walls go up. If they insult you resist insulting back, that just reinforces the wall.
4. Don't just say someone is wrong bluntly because people get defensive. Find a constructive way to introduce data or logic that supports a conflicting conclusion
5. Give leeway for inaccurate information. We shouldn't hit them on the head for misunderstanding things like the difference between a magazine and a clip. Not everyone is a gun enthusiast
6. Our opponents aren't usually stupid, they have come to their positions through thought and consideration of what they have learned. It's not necessarily that they know the 2nd amendment and ignore it but that they understand it to mean something different than we do. (This is why I avoid arguments that some elected official is violating their oath)
7. You don't have to win them completely over, even if all you have done is temper their stance you have made some progress.
8. It is not "us vs them". We should avoid alienating anyone who doesn't take our side on everything to do with firearms.
9. Understand that even if something isn't factually correct, if it feels correct to someone it is still going to be an issue. For example, many blacks think they are being targeted by police but even if they aren't it still has repercussions in the relations between the two. In essence, "image matters" so even if we rest out flag on a solid logical argument but people think we are crazy we can still lose ground.

Heavies

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »
In person debate is completely different thing than a virtual debate, and in today's world, the social media page is where most get 70-80% of their ideas and thinking handed to them.


  On facebook, I've tried to find some people that are genuinely unknowing and want to actually know more on the topic when "trolling" the local 'news' (loose term) FB pages.  When I can find them and I engage, they are open and we can have a very interesting conversation.  Some have been educated, some refuse to see the points, however, these types usually don't end up in a crazy shout match.  We can agree to disagree and go about our separate ways.

Also, post fact and/or supporting opinion, while not trying to be too over the top.  (if you get too nuts you'll go to facebook jail when one of the crybabies, that can only shout obscenities, rat you out)

Most are just regular people that have an opinion.

(edit) Some, though, are leftist trolls that constantly regurgitate the talking points, with no clue about what they are saying, and are either easily dispatched, or they end up calling me a racist, or names, or whatever.  I usually chalk that up to a win, and disengage.  No sense in continuing that bull shit. (you see the same people regularly, many are not even from or in Hawaii)

Best bet is to get the knowledge out there for the NORMAL people to read. 

We need MORE social media warriors. 

DO IT, It is how this planet communicates in the 21st century, otherwise it'll be a lefty echo chamber and no one will know what's really going on.


Mdotweber

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:16 PM »
I say delve straight into the shouting match and let the sh!t flinging begin, loudest wins :geekdanc: J/K. You both make valid points and I think all of those ways work on different people. Just have to retool the approach for different mindsets. I've turned many anti gunners in my life into people that were in th end  at least understanding of my position. Some even completely 180* and have become interested in shooting and even owning firearms themselves. Which is great for me because I get to help them shop and live vicariously through their budgets >:D "this ones good, yea that's a good one too."
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

punaperson

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »

8. It is not "us vs them".
Yes it is.

You think the Jews who were "nice" to the Gestapo and Brown Shirts faired any better than those who weren't? They didn't. Unless they turned traitor and spied on and/or turned in their fellow Jews.

Anyone who expects "reasonable accommodation" from the civilian disarmament crowd is delusional.

London808

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »
I have noticed that a lot of the arguments about gun rights have two sides arguing at each other, often with very little constructive outcome. Now maybe it is because the reasonable people aren't the loud ones and we just see the more extreme people getting the attention but I think there is more to it.

I often see it said that the anti-gun liberals are illogical, that they ignore the constitution, and that their arguments are all emotion. I also see some similar types of arguments (in reverse) from the anti-gun crowd as well. Long story short, it seems to be that the two sides only consider arguments that make sense to them. Our position is logical and rational and supported by facts to us but theirs are also to them as well. For a number of possible reasons, things one set of people find convincing  aren't always convincing to another set of people. For example, I don't eat fish and someone could yell and shout and argue how good some fish is but it won't be convincing to me even though to the other person it is an easy case to make. We have to recognize that even though our arguments convince us, they may not be convincing our opponents.

Now where I am going with this is that I think we need a shift in mindset about how we talk and deal with those who are anti gun and especially those who don't have any strong stance on the issue. We can either try to convince them to come to our side or end up fighting them in the future. The current state of firearms fights seem to be trench warfare and legally speaking I think we are slowly loosing ground (with a few important battles being won on our side). Now I will admit, I don't have some magic argument that will win them over but I see a number of arguments that I find to be hurting our cause. Now it isn't necessarily the content of the argument but the presentation. We get angry, insulting, condescending, etc. and then they get defensive. The same works for them against us as well. Then we regress to our dug in positions yelling at each other.

A few ideas to consider but feel free to add your 2 cents. I know this might not be orthodox for our side but I really think we need to evolve our style or I really feel we are going to lose more gun rights.

1. Show them that you can see their point of view. You don't have to agree but when you acknowledge the merit in their position they are more likely to have constructive discussion.
2. If you show you can recognize their arguments they are more likely going to recognize your arguments
3. Don't insult them or their position even if you find it stupid. People get defensive and then the walls go up. If they insult you resist insulting back, that just reinforces the wall.
4. Don't just say someone is wrong bluntly because people get defensive. Find a constructive way to introduce data or logic that supports a conflicting conclusion
5. Give leeway for inaccurate information. We shouldn't hit them on the head for misunderstanding things like the difference between a magazine and a clip. Not everyone is a gun enthusiast
6. Our opponents aren't usually stupid, they have come to their positions through thought and consideration of what they have learned. It's not necessarily that they know the 2nd amendment and ignore it but that they understand it to mean something different than we do. (This is why I avoid arguments that some elected official is violating their oath)
7. You don't have to win them completely over, even if all you have done is temper their stance you have made some progress.
8. It is not "us vs them". We should avoid alienating anyone who doesn't take our side on everything to do with firearms.
9. Understand that even if something isn't factually correct, if it feels correct to someone it is still going to be an issue. For example, many blacks think they are being targeted by police but even if they aren't it still has repercussions in the relations between the two. In essence, "image matters" so even if we rest out flag on a solid logical argument but people think we are crazy we can still lose ground.

No, you don’t negotiate with terrorists 
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

punaperson

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
No, you don’t negotiate with terrorists
Well, he does.

Or he's at least suggesting that we do. Imagine that.

tillamook

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »
I dont bother anymore.  My last argument went something like this:

them: "You should be detained and evaluated by a psychiatrist until it is clear you are not a crazy person for owning guns"
me:  "what if I refuse to talk to the psychiatrist, do I have a right to remain silent, how long do they get to detain me against my will"
Them: "as long as it needs until you talk, if you remain silent then you must be guilty"
me: "if I still continue to remain silent, are they then allowed to use torture on me to get me to talk"
Them: "sure, as long as they can confirm you are not crazy"

There is no argument against that line of thinking.  If people have decided that the government should ignore that many of the bill of rights (4 of them)  because you own a gun, there is no point to the argument. 

changemyoil66

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
This would stress me out a lot because of how stupid and naive people can be about the 2a.  So I usually write my point with at most 1 or 2 responses.  Then stop replying after that because conversation goes in a circle.

It's not until something happens to them or a loved one when they get their "ah-ha" moment.  Example, had this guy super anti 2a on SSH.  It wasn't until his friend was tied up and murdered.  Then he bought a gun and had his "ah-ha" moment.  He was even man enough to admit how wrong and naive he was.  But odds are, those moments aren't going to happen.  So it takes up to much of my time to go back and forth on post.  My other friend had his ah-ha when we had the hurricane warning in 2018.  He bought supplies, but his wife asked how do we protect them from theft?  He was anti-2a and his mom is a pink pussy hat activist who went to DC to march.  So when he bought his gun, he didn't tell his mom.

The main reason why I reply is to show that there are people who support the 2a and we're not out numbered.  I suggest everyone here do the same on social media post/articles.  Because if we ignore them because we don't want to waste our time because we can't reason with stupid, then all the comments will show anti-2a.  And those who are on the fence will be indoctrinated that those anti 2a commenters are correct.  That's what I noticed about SSH within the last year or so.  Most comments were anti 2a.  But recently, it flipped.  Now could it be FB removing comments (tinfoil)?  Because the flip was around the time Zuck went to the senate hearing.

I commonly use the example that if a rape victim were armed, the out come may have been different.  Then usually there is no rebuttable to that example.

punaperson

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
I commonly use the example that if a rape victim were armed, the out come may have been different.  Then usually there is no rebuttable to that example.
Anyone who is complicit in making it more difficult or impossible for people to lawfully keep and bear arms (anywhere) for self-defense is complicit in every crime committed against unarmed or (especially) disarmed individuals. That includes legislators and the people who voted for them.

punaperson

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I dont bother anymore.  My last argument went something like this:

them: "You should be detained and evaluated by a psychiatrist until it is clear you are not a crazy person for owning guns"
me:  "what if I refuse to talk to the psychiatrist, do I have a right to remain silent, how long do they get to detain me against my will"
Them: "as long as it needs until you talk, if you remain silent then you must be guilty"
me: "if I still continue to remain silent, are they then allowed to use torture on me to get me to talk"
Them: "sure, as long as they can confirm you are not crazy"

There is no argument against that line of thinking.  If people have decided that the government should ignore that many of the bill of rights (4 of them)  because you own a gun, there is no point to the argument.
Were you having that conversation with a person currently incarcerated in mental health facility or a Democrat (but I repeat myself)?

groveler

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:50 PM »
I have found it best not to talk to Democrats.
Not worth the time.
Their lives and personal safety aren't worth my
efforts to help them.

tillamook

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
I have found it best not to talk to Democrats.
Not worth the time.
Their lives and personal safety aren't worth my
efforts to help them.

many days I want them to get the authoritarian state they want and have a Venezuela like melt down and I'll sit it out eating freeze dried food reserves and hunting the turkeys and pheasants that walk through my yard.  Sometimes the hard way is the only way to learn. 

robtmc

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
I commonly use the example that if a rape victim were armed, the out come may have been different.  Then usually there is no rebuttable to that example.
I choose not to communicate with liberals.  Bad temper and no patience.

Your argument, when I have seen it used, commonly has some liberal saying:  "Studies show the firearm is usually taken away and used on the victim."  Or similar where the armed person was incapable of using the defense they carried, and often made things worse.

stangzilla

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »
you can't reason with stupid

Flapp_Jackson

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
you can't reason with stupid

And god knows, I've tried!  I've really, REALLY tried!   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

RSN172

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »
Happily living in Puna

mrgaf

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »
you can't reason with stupid
Amen to that but it’s sure a lot of fun to get them to melt down. Then you start laughing at them....icing on the cake!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

eyeeatingfish

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 09:50:37 PM »
In person debate is completely different thing than a virtual debate, and in today's world, the social media page is where most get 70-80% of their ideas and thinking handed to them.


  On facebook, I've tried to find some people that are genuinely unknowing and want to actually know more on the topic when "trolling" the local 'news' (loose term) FB pages.  When I can find them and I engage, they are open and we can have a very interesting conversation.  Some have been educated, some refuse to see the points, however, these types usually don't end up in a crazy shout match.  We can agree to disagree and go about our separate ways.

Also, post fact and/or supporting opinion, while not trying to be too over the top.  (if you get too nuts you'll go to facebook jail when one of the crybabies, that can only shout obscenities, rat you out)

Most are just regular people that have an opinion.

(edit) Some, though, are leftist trolls that constantly regurgitate the talking points, with no clue about what they are saying, and are either easily dispatched, or they end up calling me a racist, or names, or whatever.  I usually chalk that up to a win, and disengage.  No sense in continuing that bull shit. (you see the same people regularly, many are not even from or in Hawaii)

Best bet is to get the knowledge out there for the NORMAL people to read. 

We need MORE social media warriors. 

DO IT, It is how this planet communicates in the 21st century, otherwise it'll be a lefty echo chamber and no one will know what's really going on.

A fair point, virtual debates add anonymity and people can avoid having to deal with certain rules of constructive conversation. I do still think that being disarming is still the best possible option in arguments even if it is not as successful in virtual arguments.

I too do frequently engage people on Facebook and I definitely see those who don't take it seriously but I do come across a significant amount of people who I do have a constructive conversation as well.

I guess I have a bit more patience to try and draw those out who just repeat what they hear and get angry at people who challenge their ideas. I have noticed that even if I don't win these people over there are many who are silently watching. Case in point, I have a more liberal friend from high school and we have friendly debates on facebook often. A third friend from high school ended up telling me that she read all our debates and found them very interesting. Till that point I had no idea others were paying attention. So when we encounter that leftist troll, the better image we present is going to be seen by the quiet people watching the debate and I think that may be favorable to our side. I fear that when someone from our side gets angry or spouts an insult it hurts out image.

By my nature I am not very confrontational so I admit it may be easier for me than most to hold my tongue in the face of angry hateful leftists. I am in my 30s so internet chat boards were also something I grew up with so maybe I am more comfortable with internet debates than someone a few decades older than myself? I do come across many who are set in their ways and don't take any debate seriously, but I do also see those who regurgitate talking points through a sincere belief they understand the topic. Some of these people are open to considering different data if we approach them in a non hostile way. I understand how easy it is to get things wrong. The average person gets only bits of information about hundreds of different topics so I try not to fault them for their talking points. A friend of mine who went for his pilots license pointed out to me that we all call the airfoils on the back of car trunks "spoilers" when they are technically wings. Now as someone who had a grinder pilots license and liked aviation, I had to admit that even I had never gave a second thought to how the car industry used the word spoiler even though I knew what a spoiler was. (A spoiler spoils the airflow so it loses lift whereas what you see on the back of a car is really a wing/airfoil) So even I had that wrong, but I had just always heard it called a spoiler and I accepted it as such. I try to view opinions on the gun debate in the same fashion, a lot of people have wrong information but their ignorance is not necessarily indicative of negligence.

eyeeatingfish

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
Yes it is.

You think the Jews who were "nice" to the Gestapo and Brown Shirts faired any better than those who weren't? They didn't. Unless they turned traitor and spied on and/or turned in their fellow Jews.

Anyone who expects "reasonable accommodation" from the civilian disarmament crowd is delusional.

So what of those who don't want to ban guns but want a more effective background check or a TRO type system for possible crazies who shouldn't have guns (for example)?

Just force them into the "them" category and risk alienating them? "Us vs. Them" is a bit of a false dichotomy, as if there is some clear battle line and one is either cleanly on one side of that line or the other.

During the American Revolutionary war approximately 40-45% of colonists supported the revolutionaries while 15-20% supported the loyalists. This leaves about 40% of the population somewhere in the middle. Do you think we could have won the revolutionary war by alienating those 40%? (I saw some numbers that said support for the revolution was about 1/3rd as well)

Now correct me if I am wrong but I don't think MLK Jr. made big headways in protecting civil liberties by insulting his opponents and refusing to engage them. Feel free to show me how calling them terrorists does anything good for our cause.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:12:49 PM by eyeeatingfish »

eyeeatingfish

Re: How to argue with people who are against guns
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
No, you don’t negotiate with terrorists

You just failed suggestion #3.

I fear that belief is doing more harm to our cause than good. We aren't going to win by digging our trenches deeper.