Finally Replacing Some Parts (Read 5699 times)

changemyoil66

Finally Replacing Some Parts
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
Well I've owned the S&W M&P15 Sport II for about 2 years now and it's time to start replacing worn parts.  I've done upgrades, but not because they needed replacing, just because they looked cool or helped.

Gonna get the Geissele buffer and buffer spring combo and their airborne charging handle.  I noticed my stock charging handle flexes/twist a little (too much mana).  Will wait until next holiday because they have sales on holidays.

The AR still shoots like a champ, but I was advised to replace them before the year ends, and not wait until they start failing.

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
Agree that good to try to replace wear items before they break.  Lots of guidance on when to replace certain parts out there.  What is your approx round count? 

Have you considered changing out BCG parts?  I would consider those as well if you're looking for wear items/parts.  I only have one gun that I've kept long enough to change out stuff with the BCG.  Rest aren't that high, maybe 6000 max. 

If you're gonna swap out the buffer spring and buffer, you might also consider the A5 system.  Just curious, but why are you going with the Geissele buffer and buffer spring?  It's been a while since I looked into that stuff, but I did notice those when the last Geissele sale came up.  Didn't read closer into their benefits, so amcurious.  Because they are Geissele is valid too.  ;D  I bet they'll have a Memorial Day sale. 

I have the ACH on one gun and am trying the SCH on another.  I like them, but also going to try the Raptor. 
 

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
Agree that good to try to replace wear items before they break.  Lots of guidance on when to replace certain parts out there.  What is your approx round count? 

Have you considered changing out BCG parts?  I would consider those as well if you're looking for wear items/parts.  I only have one gun that I've kept long enough to change out stuff with the BCG.  Rest aren't that high, maybe 6000 max. 

If you're gonna swap out the buffer spring and buffer, you might also consider the A5 system.  Just curious, but why are you going with the Geissele buffer and buffer spring?  It's been a while since I looked into that stuff, but I did notice those when the last Geissele sale came up.  Didn't read closer into their benefits, so amcurious.  Because they are Geissele is valid too.  ;D  I bet they'll have a Memorial Day sale. 

I have the ACH on one gun and am trying the SCH on another.  I like them, but also going to try the Raptor. 
 

My round count is probably 7K or so.  The BCG so far is fine, it doesn't collapse when standing on the bolt (worn rings).  My friend took apart my AR and looked at it closely at the range.  He's the one that mentioned I should replace the above before year end.

I'm a Geissele whore.  This is my 1st and only rifle and the SSA trigger was the 1st thing I replaced.  Their spring says it's good for 40K rounds.  Pretty pricey $24 vs. $5, but knowing I have another Geissele product on my AR makes me happy.  The "twang" doesn't bother me that Geissele claims will be eliminated with their buffer spring.

Plus gotta be matchy matchy.  Can't have Geissele handguard, Geissele trigger, and a BCM charging handle, and A5 buffer/spring.

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
My round count is probably 7K or so.  The BCG so far is fine, it doesn't collapse when standing on the bolt (worn rings).  My friend took apart my AR and looked at it closely at the range.  He's the one that mentioned I should replace the above before year end.

I'm a Geissele whore.  This is my 1st and only rifle and the SSA trigger was the 1st thing I replaced.  Their spring says it's good for 40K rounds.  Pretty pricey $24 vs. $5, but knowing I have another Geissele product on my AR makes me happy.  The "twang" doesn't bother me that Geissele claims will be eliminated with their buffer spring.

Plus gotta be matchy matchy.  Can't have Geissele handguard, Geissele trigger, and a BCM charging handle, and A5 buffer/spring.
Gotcha.  The gas ring is common and what I've seen.  I know some who change out the extractor (including spring) at various round counts.  I had one upper that got to around 16k before I got rid of it.  I don't remember if I swapped out anything. 

Geissele does make some good stuff.  Recently went to the SSA and SD-C.  Going with a Geissele handguard on a new upper and their scope mount for a LPVO. 

And to clarify, the A5 system would need to change out the buffer tube. 

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
Gotcha.  The gas ring is common and what I've seen.  I know some who change out the extractor (including spring) at various round counts.  I had one upper that got to around 16k before I got rid of it.  I don't remember if I swapped out anything. 

Geissele does make some good stuff.  Recently went to the SSA and SD-C.  Going with a Geissele handguard on a new upper and their scope mount for a LPVO. 

And to clarify, the A5 system would need to change out the buffer tube.

The handguard is very heavy.  If I had to do it again, I would probably get something lighter.  But again, that G on the side makes me feel good.

zippz

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »
I've been behind on replacing springs in all my guns.  My main ar15 has about 12k rounds through it. Glock has around 20k with just recoil spring changes.

Bushido

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
My round count is probably 7K or so.  The BCG so far is fine, it doesn't collapse when standing on the bolt (worn rings).  My friend took apart my AR and looked at it closely at the range.  He's the one that mentioned I should replace the above before year end.

I'm a Geissele whore.  This is my 1st and only rifle and the SSA trigger was the 1st thing I replaced.  Their spring says it's good for 40K rounds.  Pretty pricey $24 vs. $5, but knowing I have another Geissele product on my AR makes me happy.  The "twang" doesn't bother me that Geissele claims will be eliminated with their buffer spring.

Plus gotta be matchy matchy.  Can't have Geissele handguard, Geissele trigger, and a BCM charging handle, and A5 buffer/spring.

Hey, don't start knocking Bravo Co.  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
Hey, don't start knocking Bravo Co.  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:
Indian not the arrow. U one better shooter than me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mangosteenqueen

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »
The Standard run of the mill collapsible stock sucks in every aspect compared to modern stocks available to us these days. It’s the first thing that gets thrown out whether it’s brand new or not.
The geissele ACH is a real winner for charging handles. It doesn’t snag and the profile seems extended compared to the standard charging handle but it’s low profile and doesn’t stab you in the back when you sling the AR over your back to go hands free.
Depending on how much you shoot, the buffer spring shouldn’t need replacing but it never hurts to get a really good buffer spring.

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
The Standard run of the mill collapsible stock sucks in every aspect compared to modern stocks available to us these days. It’s the first thing that gets thrown out whether it’s brand new or not.
The geissele ACH is a real winner for charging handles. It doesn’t snag and the profile seems extended compared to the standard charging handle but it’s low profile and doesn’t stab you in the back when you sling the AR over your back to go hands free.
Depending on how much you shoot, the buffer spring shouldn’t need replacing but it never hurts to get a really good buffer spring.

The milspec stock didn't bother me, probably because I was a noob and didn't know any difference.  Only reason why I changed it is because I wanted a compartment to put my battery for my red dot.  My red dot did die a few times during classes.  So I switched to irons and when there was time, changed the battery.  Wanted to put a firing pin also, but it didn't fit. Got space for skittles.  :rofl:

But that's exactly why I'm going with the ACH because of the low profile.  I eat too much cookies and stuff gets snagged against my gear.

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
The milspec stock didn't bother me, probably because I was a noob and didn't know any difference.  Only reason why I changed it is because I wanted a compartment to put my battery for my red dot.  My red dot did die a few times during classes.  So I switched to irons and when there was time, changed the battery.  Wanted to put a firing pin also, but it didn't fit. Got space for skittles.  :rofl:

But that's exactly why I'm going with the ACH because of the low profile.  I eat too much cookies and stuff gets snagged against my gear.
Really?  Should have bought an Aimpoint.  ;D

I have a couple of T-1s and didn't read the fine print.  I kept them on at I think 10 or so.  I was wondering why they would die after around 18 months or so.  Batt life was advertised as much longer.  Well, the "much longer" was at something like 7-8.  I have spares in my range bag and especially make sure when I have classes, but luckily never had them go out during. 

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
Really?  Should have bought an Aimpoint.  ;D

I have a couple of T-1s and didn't read the fine print.  I kept them on at I think 10 or so.  I was wondering why they would die after around 18 months or so.  Batt life was advertised as much longer.  Well, the "much longer" was at something like 7-8.  I have spares in my range bag and especially make sure when I have classes, but luckily never had them go out during.

I think the batts on the shelf were old.  Because the most recent one only lasted me 6 months.  Usually I get at least a year, I change them every new year so IDK exactly  how long, even though the box says 2 years.

I got a SIG Romeo5 that has an auto on and off feature.  I'll go home later tonight and let the rifle sit for 2 mins to see if it does turn off.  Either that or some fakka is driving buy with loud exhaust cause the red dot to turn on.

It's a good training XP to have to switch to irons unexpectedly. And depending on the distance, I didn't even use the irons, but finished the exercise. Guestimation via the portal of the housing of the red dot.

Bushido

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
I think the batts on the shelf were old.  Because the most recent one only lasted me 6 months.  Usually I get at least a year, I change them every new year so IDK exactly  how long, even though the box says 2 years.

I got a SIG Romeo5 that has an auto on and off feature.  I'll go home later tonight and let the rifle sit for 2 mins to see if it does turn off.  Either that or some fakka is driving buy with loud exhaust cause the red dot to turn on.

It's a good training XP to have to switch to irons unexpectedly. And depending on the distance, I didn't even use the irons, but finished the exercise. Guestimation via the portal of the housing of the red dot.

"Optics down" drill is eye opening.

Someone here recommended AAA Lithium batteries. I switched to them and I can't even remember when I changed it last. It keeps going and going and going....

ren

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
really early to replace the buffer spring - if at all.
There are thousands of GI M4s and M16s that haven't seen a new buffer spring for 10s of thousands of rounds. Still ticking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:03:02 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 08:17:36 AM »
When I did have optics that used AA or AAA, I swapped out to lithium a while back.  I did it mostly because of the battery leakage thing with alkaline batteries.  There were folks on another forum that recommended lithium for batt life, but I don't recall much of a difference.  My particular red dot was a Comp M4s, so the battery life on that thing was years anyways.  Ended up selling it for something smaller/lighter, so none with AAA or AA batteries now. 

For the buffer spring, this thread is the first I've heard of anyone even considering replacing for maintenance.  I've swapped them out to try different springs (Springo blue and others).  Interesting to hear why those who swap out the buffer spring for maintenance.   

changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »

For the buffer spring, this thread is the first I've heard of anyone even considering replacing for maintenance.  I've swapped them out to try different springs (Springo blue and others).  Interesting to hear why those who swap out the buffer spring for maintenance.   

I was instructed by the guy who teaches me to shoot that I should replace the spring by the end of the year.  I asked what happens if I don't.  He said could have feeding issues.  And I don't want to wait until something starts to fail.  The MILSPEC spring is only a few dollars so why not?  Prior to being told, he was pulling my charging handle, took my BCG out and did the table test.  I then was asked how many rounds I put thru it and when I bought the AR I said about 7Kish and 2016 (Election week).  He also recommended get rid of the MILSEPC charging handle.

Besides, I've been looking at a new spring & charging handle anyways, but held off because I'm buying a condo.  But this gives me an excuse and an excuse to tell Mrs CMO to buy one.  The issue is what if she wants one also, even though she only has 2K rounds thru her AR.  The charging handle I do notice a slight twist vs. my wifes one which is more sturdier.

ren

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »
in the genuine interest of saving you money - you don't need to change either components. To break a GI / milspec charging handle takes a lot of concentrated effort. i.e. someone treating the rifle like a mortar and stomping on the CH to extract a stuck cartridge. You can go down that slippery slope of "What if this fails" - everything will fail eventually - i.e. a car, house, our lives, but the probability of those two components failing soon are likely low.
Just my 1 cent.
Bill Geissele's company is a good one and he started with a really great trigger when the only great trigger comparable was the Milazzo-Krieger at the time, but some of his products are really "G-to-the-ucci"  :-* . He has to increase his market share and make money. $89 for a charging handle?  :o $65 for a buffer spring? :o  similar products before Geiselle's were Tubb and his braided wire buffer spring along with carrier weights. It didn't make my rifle any more accurate though felt recoil was much less. David Tubb was a recognized shooter and like any other entrepreneur used that to create a brand and market products. I later went back to plain vanilla GI. But that's my small experience shooting 77s and 80s.
In the end, its your money and who am I but a measly avg Joe sitting on a curb like John Lennon watching the wheels go round and round.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:24:15 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
The Geissele spring is $65!!!  :o

Never heard of feeding problems from buffer spring.  I've heard of folks not putting the buffer tube on correctly or the detent catching on things and leading to malfunctions.  I would expect feeding issues to be seen from the upper (throat erosion and stuff) than before the buffer spring, but I haven't gotten close with any of my guns.  I know many folks who have shot out barrels, but that takes a lot of $$$ for ammo.  I mean I'd like to, but I just haven't gotten close.   :(

Like Ren said, it's your money.  Some folks like to tinker and that's part of the beauty of the AR system.  I'm just wondering about snake-oil stuff.  I mean you can always use that money for a bunch more ammo. 



changemyoil66

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
The Geissele spring is $65!!!  :o

Never heard of feeding problems from buffer spring.  I've heard of folks not putting the buffer tube on correctly or the detent catching on things and leading to malfunctions.  I would expect feeding issues to be seen from the upper (throat erosion and stuff) than before the buffer spring, but I haven't gotten close with any of my guns.  I know many folks who have shot out barrels, but that takes a lot of $$$ for ammo.  I mean I'd like to, but I just haven't gotten close.   :(

Like Ren said, it's your money.  Some folks like to tinker and that's part of the beauty of the AR system.  I'm just wondering about snake-oil stuff.  I mean you can always use that money for a bunch more ammo.

It's the spring and buffer combo for $64.  Their buffer is proprietary, so the next replacement, you only need the spring which is $25.  But a milspec spring is $5.

That's why I'm waiting for the next sale.  Should be about 30% off or something.

drck1000

Re: Finally Replacing Some Parts
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
It's the spring and buffer combo for $64.  Their buffer is proprietary, so the next replacement, you only need the spring which is $25.  But a milspec spring is $5.

That's why I'm waiting for the next sale.  Should be about 30% off or something.
Don't forget a set for Mrs CMO. . .  ;D