Non-2a Charities (Read 11373 times)

zippz

Non-2a Charities
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »
What non-firearm related charities do you donate to?  I did a small donation to St Judes recently.  I'm interested in donating to small homeless housing and rehab programs.  Like some churches house homeless and teach them farming.  Or programs that help at risk children.  Or others.

changemyoil66

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:31:26 AM »
Wounded warrior. I got a friend who they fly up often to take part in events.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ren

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
none after finding out most charities pay themselves pretty well and little goes to what ever cause they advertise.
Wounded Warrior is a great example of greed.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/wounded-warrior-projects-top-execs-fired-amid-lavish-spending-scandal

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2016/03/11/wounded-warrior-project-is-a-scam/

Another issue was that most recipients don't really need helping at all.
I used to volunteer for Lanakila - delivering meals for seniors and others. On my route there were 2 out of 10 people /families that really needed it. The rest were able-bodied and had the means to get their own meals. For example, I delivered meals to some residents in the Mayor Rights project and all of them had vehicles with children that can support their parents. For the 2 that really needed the meals one was a frail elderly woman who could barely answer the door and lived with her cat.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:28:13 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »
Sporadically, I donate to St. Jude and DAV (Disabled Am.Vets),
 I've done Hawaii Food bank projects, American Cancer Society projects, and a HIFIDO project because service dogs are super cool. 
I saw bad stories about Wounded Warrior so I'm hesitant to donate to them.

 Yesterday I was cleaning yard when a little Filipino lady came around selling baked goods for the "Children's Joy Foundation" in the Philippines.
I figured it was all bullshit but I bought some crappy maunapua anyway. The cupcakes were pretty good though.
 
My friend who is a retired judge is/was a spokesman for IHS (Institute for Human Services) but they don't aggressively solicit donations, as far as I know.
I'm sure IHS is an organization worth supporting as I see real local action with IHS. Since you brought this up, I'm going to look into IHS further.
What, Me Worry?

zippz

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
My friend who is a retired judge is/was a spokesman for IHS (Institute for Human Services) but they don't aggressively solicit donations, as far as I know.
I'm sure IHS is an organization worth supporting as I see real local action with IHS. Since you brought this up, I'm going to look into IHS further.

Please do share as I'm interested.  I know they house and feed the homeless, not sure if they are good for long term reductions in homelessness.

oldfart

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
Please do share as I'm interested.  I know they house and feed the homeless, not sure if they are good for long term reductions in homelessness.
========
will do
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
Hawaii Food Bank

Hawaii Kidney Foundation (I've donated 3 cars to the Kidney Cars program)

Girl Scouts/United Way

Many others as co-workers and family are involved in fund-raising campaigns.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

mrgaf

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
St Jude’s monthly since 1991, Make-A-Wish and Susan Koman Breast Cancer  :shaka:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

changemyoil66

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »


Quote from: Flapp_Jackson link=topic=34137.msg302523#msg30252

Many others as co-workers and family are involved in fund-raising campaigns.
[/quote


I always buy what coworkers kids are selling cause when i was young, they bought my stuff.  I dont like chili or port bean soup, but always buy 1 ticket.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zippz

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
My friend got me interested in St Jude's because she had leukemia with a low chance of survival.  Went through a year of painful treatments and it looks like she beat it.  She didn't go through St Jude's, but she does a lot of volunteer activities and fundraising with them

oldfart

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
Please do share as I'm interested.  I know they house and feed the homeless, not sure if they are good for long term reductions in homelessness.
....
Ok, now I remember the reason I vote for IHS. See if you can follow along....

A few months ago there was a documentary about providing medication for mentally ill homeless people.
Apparently there is a new generation of drugs which can dramatically improve the cognzance of mentally ill people.
We all know that a great number of homeless people suffer from real mental illness. These are the most difficult people to deal with, because you cannot communicate and rationalize with a mentally ill person.
The problem is that it's very difficult to get authorization to administer these new drugs to mentally ill homeless people because even crazy street people have rights. So there lies a conundrum.
You can read about and watch the documentary here.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/04/23/watch-prescribing-hope-trapped-streets/

It is an excellent story. If Hawaii law can change just a little to make it easier for family or advocates to get permission to treat the mentally ill homeless people, I think that would make big difference in the homeless problem.
This is where IHS and its partners are going. This could be a real breakthrough solution on a seemingly impossible problem.
https://ihshawaii.org/how-you-can-help/hawaiiforhawaii
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
I've done hawaii food bank, toys for tots, humane society
I used to help single moms, but I haven't gone rockza or femmenu in a long time.  :geekdanc:

eyeeatingfish

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
We participate in one of those charities that "adopts" a child in some 3rd world country.
Tithe at church
I have been donating to Ho'ola Na Pua for a short while now. They are building a shelter here to rescue minors from sexual slavery.
A few other ones here and there but nothing significant dollar wise.

Itsshowtime808

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
I always try to donate $50-$100 a year to  :worship: RED CROSS Hawaii chapter.

Ever since hurricane Iniki,  my girlfriend as well other friends have told me how Red Cross would come to people's houses that were devastated by the hurricane, take a quick assessment of damages (furniture, appliances, etc.) and cut families a check on the spot to help them get back on their feet.  Luckily I haven't experience anything major like that on Oahu (or at least since I've moved out of mom's house) but to give back to a Charity that helps our Hawaii residents at their biggest time of need touches home for me.

Much Mahalos
 :geekdanc: :shaka: :geekdanc:
Gun Control
(Adjective)
1.Using both hands
2.Hitting your target every time
3.Buying one when you really want two, three, four, or five

oldfart

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »
Tonight I am working on a telethon to raise funds for IHS.
I see a genuine long term solution for getting crazy people off the sidewalk.
It's better than the typical feed the homeless effort.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Tonight I am working on a telethon to raise funds for IHS.
I see a genuine long term solution for getting crazy people off the sidewalk.
It's better than the typical feed the homeless effort.

I don't think we have the space to lock up all the Democrats here.   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
I don't think we have the space to lock up all the Democrats here.   :geekdanc:
...
Hahaha.....I said crazy people, not stoopid people.

Like Ron white sez, "ya can't fix stupid"
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
...
Hahaha.....I said crazy people, not stoopid people.

Like Ron white sez, "ya can't fix stupid"

And what do we normally do with useless things that can't be fixed?

 :popcorn:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
I have a hard time with charities due to their "overhead" cost. So its more like where do i not mind my overhead going toward.

Femme nu got lots of my money. I must have helped many women become doctors ....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zippz

Re: Non-2a Charities
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »
Tonight I am working on a telethon to raise funds for IHS.
I see a genuine long term solution for getting crazy people off the sidewalk.
It's better than the typical feed the homeless effort.

I'll donate.  Let us know how.