Gun Rights Policy Conf 2019 (Read 1316 times)

zippz

Gun Rights Policy Conf 2019
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »
HIFICO will be attending this years Gun Rights Policy Conference hosted by the Second Amendment Foundation in Phoenix, AZ September 20-22.   Please contact us if you plan on going.

This is a good opportunity to network with 2A leaders, learn how to be effective in activism, and current legal news.  HIFICO is looking for motivated members to help lead the movement.

https://www.saf.org/grpc/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Charles Nichols

Re: Gun Rights Policy Conf 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Full disclosure would have mentioned that the GRPC is one of Alan Gottlieb's pet projects.  Alan Gottlieb is the head of SAF and CCRKBA as well as a convicted felon who spent a year and a half in Federal prison for tax evasion and embezzlement.  Alan Gottlieb is also a prominent opponent of Open Carry.  The SAF was a co-plaintiff, along with CalGuns.nuts, in Richards v. Prieto, the California concealed carry case which was consolidated with the concealed carry case, Peruta v. San Diego for en banc oral arguments.  Both the SAF/CalGuns.nuts attorney, Alan Gura, and the NRA/CRPA attorney, Paul Clement, argued before the en banc panel that the Heller decision said that states can ban Open Carry in favor of concealed carry.

Indeed, it was the SAF lawyer Alan Gura who invented that Big Lie, the NRA lawyers stole that argument from him.

In years past, Gottlieb has held his GRPC in places like Chicago where Open Carry is banned.

If you do decide to go to the GRPC, make sure you keep your handgun well hidden in your purse or beneath your skirt.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 09:15:30 PM »
Full disclosure would have mentioned that the GRPC is one of Alan Gottlieb's pet projects.  Alan Gottlieb is the head of SAF and CCRKBA as well as a convicted felon who spent a year and a half in Federal prison for tax evasion and embezzlement.

I remember that.  Kinda ironic that a convicted felon is head of a pro-2a group - how does he handle guns and ammo 🤔.  That’s because the wonderful folks at the ATF have a process for convicted felons to apply for “relief”, and if granted, can once again posses firearms and ammunition.  Thanks ATF! 👍 (Obvious sarcasm).  I was given the pro gun control side in a debate and Mr. Goteib was a well cited source given his many publishings. 
Please consider donating to the Citadel of Ricks restoration fund.

Charles Nichols

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
"Has" a process but it was defunded after Gottlieb took advantage of it.  Also, convicted felons can carry firearms if they are licensed to do so.  Which probably explains why Gottlieb opposes eliminating permits.  He showered with too many fellow felons who would never be allowed to possess anything other than an antique firearm were it not for that Federal law.

In my high school debate club, we had to argue both sides of the argument.  I made my pro-Second Amendment argument and when it became my time to take the opposite position, I deferred to the brilliance of my pro-Second Amendment argument.

Some folks were not amused but I stuck to my guns as it were.

I left the debate club shortly thereafter.

Having the second highest GPA in my high school graduation class was enough to make me Salutatorian in and of itself.  Graduating a year early didn't hurt either.  I was to give a speech at my graduation until the powers that be learned that it was a speech condemning laws which prevent us from carrying arms in public.  It is possible I spoke in favor of machine-guns as well.

In any event, I was not allowed to give my speech.  When I asked, "Why?"  I was told that there are "other factors" than GPA in deciding who would be the Salutatorian.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »
No organization is perfect and represents everyone's interests 100%.  Sometimes just have to work with what you got and try and change it for the better.  Take for example the NRA which is in turmoil, but they likely got Trump elected.  If it wasn't for that there would be an anti-gun majority in SCOTUS to hear the Young case in the future.  Also the 9th Circuit Court would be even more lopsided with anti-gun judges versus the possible even split we may have in the next year.

The only way to get what you want is to do it yourself, but then other people will find ways to complain about your group.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Bota-CS1

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
No organization is perfect and represents everyone's interests 100%.  Sometimes just have to work with what you got and try and change it for the better.  Take for example the NRA which is in turmoil, but they likely got Trump elected.  If it wasn't for that there would be an anti-gun majority in SCOTUS to hear the Young case in the future.  Also the 9th Circuit Court would be even more lopsided with anti-gun judges versus the possible even split we may have in the next year.

The only way to get what you want is to do it yourself, but then other people will find ways to complain about your group.

They?  The NRA May have donated $. But it was the VOTERS that elected him - NOT the NRA.  If you want to go and shake his hand fine - you’re certainly welcome to do that.  I would put my donations to work locally and with the FPC and GOA.
Please consider donating to the Citadel of Ricks restoration fund.

Charles Nichols

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
The President of GOA and GOC is H.L. Richardson who voted for California's Loaded Open Carry ban and who voted for a bill, signed by then Governor Brown, which raised the threshold to carry a loaded firearm from "reasonable fear" to "grave, immediate danger."  The GOA/GOC filed an Amicus brief in support of the NRA's Peruta v. San Diego lawsuit which argued that the Heller decision said that states can ban Open Carry in favor of concealed carry.

The wanker behind FPC is Brandon Combs, also of CalGuns.nuts infamy which had a separate lawsuit, Richards v. Prieto, which made the same argument as did the NRA and was combined with Peruta v. San Diego.  Combs sponsored a bill which would have eliminated handgun Open Carry licenses in California (they are theoretically available in counties with a population of fewer than 200,000 people).

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:06:55 PM »

Trump spent HALF what Hilldabeast spent, mostly his own money.  The NRA did spend a record $21M on the 2016 election, and more than half of that was used for attack ads against Hillary.

Hillary spent over $1.2B on her campaign.  Trump spent just over $500M.  I have a hard time believing $21M from the NRA swung the election when he was still outspent by over half a billion dollars.

If the NRA hadn't donated, and Trump knew he needed the money, he'd have found it or ponied it up himself.  It's obvious the size of the campaign's bank account wasn't the deciding factor.

So, while the NRA had a hand in defeating Hillary, I don't believe they had much impact toward informing voters.  If voters didn't already know Hillary was a horror for gun rights ("We should look at an Australia-type gun buy-back"), then gun rights wasn't an issue for them in the first place.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
So you guys going to GRPC?

zippz

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
Noticed AMMCON will be held prior to the start of the GRPC.  It's about 2A related media.

http://ammcon.org/

Charles Nichols

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
"The Polite Society Podcast and Self Defense Radio Network, and the Second Amendment Foundation are very proud to host..."

In other words, it's just a different gathering of Gottlieb and his fellow Nancy Boys.

zippz

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
So far got 6 or 7 in our Hawaii group attending plus the attorneys.  Anyone else going?

groveler

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
Full disclosure would have mentioned that the GRPC is one of Alan Gottlieb's pet projects.  Alan Gottlieb is the head of SAF and CCRKBA as well as a convicted felon who spent a year and a half in Federal prison for tax evasion and embezzlement.  Alan Gottlieb is also a prominent opponent of Open Carry.  The SAF was a co-plaintiff, along with CalGuns.nuts, in Richards v. Prieto, the California concealed carry case which was consolidated with the concealed carry case, Peruta v. San Diego for en banc oral arguments.  Both the SAF/CalGuns.nuts attorney, Alan Gura, and the NRA/CRPA attorney, Paul Clement, argued before the en banc panel that the Heller decision said that states can ban Open Carry in favor of concealed carry.

Indeed, it was the SAF lawyer Alan Gura who invented that Big Lie, the NRA lawyers stole that argument from him.

In years past, Gottlieb has held his GRPC in places like Chicago where Open Carry is banned.

If you do decide to go to the GRPC, make sure you keep your handgun well hidden in your purse or beneath your skirt.

I spent over 20 years in Gottlieb's neck of the woods.
WA state use to have a robust Gun culture.
I was a WAC member for years. Never joined
CCRKBA because the office was in the most expensive part
of Bellevue WA. I wasn't going to pay for that office.
Gottlieb always seemed to me to be a used
car salesman type.  The WA state Democrats
pulled strings and he got caught doing what so
many  Democrats do and get away with.
I'm a NRA life member( and pissed at them wasting our money
on a bloated overpaid administration) and 
GOA. I considered the local organizations,
but you don't even think we exist on the big island,
so I'll just write useless letters to pols that Oahu elects.

zippz

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
I considered the local organizations,
but you don't even think we exist on the big island,
so I'll just write useless letters to pols that Oahu elects.

It's been exhaustive work getting HIFICO to where we're at now, which includes working with the outer islands.  There's very little coordination and activism that has been done between the hundred local clubs and businesses and the community.  There's no infrastructure or foundation to work off of so everything has to be built from scratch.  It's like building a house in the middle of a barren lava field with no roads, utilities, permitting, and groundwork to start from.  Also have to overcome this feeling of hopelessness, not my problem, or someone else will do it.

I've been working with the community, groups, and businesses on Kauai, Maui, and Hawaii and it's been very challenging, time consuming, and expensive.  Working a lot with the hunters.  Work in progress and it'll go faster when I get county directors in place.  Also need people on each island to take charge and lead their own island movements.  There's a few people that do it, but more is needed.

groveler

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:07:28 AM »
It's been exhaustive work getting HIFICO to where we're at now, which includes working with the outer islands.  There's very little coordination and activism that has been done between the hundred local clubs and businesses and the community.  There's no infrastructure or foundation to work off of so everything has to be built from scratch.  It's like building a house in the middle of a barren lava field with no roads, utilities, permitting, and groundwork to start from.  Also have to overcome this feeling of hopelessness, not my problem, or someone else will do it.

I've been working with the community, groups, and businesses on Kauai, Maui, and Hawaii and it's been very challenging, time consuming, and expensive.  Working a lot with the hunters.  Work in progress and it'll go faster when I get county directors in place.  Also need people on each island to take charge and lead their own island movements.  There's a few people that do it, but more is needed.
OK.
I'm on the big island.
I write letters, comment at the police commission, and
I'm in all our congress critters databases.
But I also know it is a waste of time.
For example Young v Hawaii.
He won and still we don't have our rights
recognized.
Soap box, ballot box, cartridge box.
I will join at some future date as I don't want
the cops to correlate my real name to my avatar.
Aloha.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
OK.
I'm on the big island.
I write letters, comment at the police commission, and
I'm in all our congress critters databases.
But I also know it is a waste of time.
For example Young v Hawaii.
He won and still we don't have our rights
recognized.
Soap box, ballot box, cartridge box.
I will join at some future date as I don't want
the cops to correlate my real name to my avatar.

Aloha.

Now they know what you're planning. 

You should just send the Cops a copy of your driver's license.  It'll make both your lives easier to just get it over with.   :rofl:
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

zippz

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 02:36:42 PM »
We have a total of 10 people attending the GRPC.  There's 3 events going on that weekend.

DC Project Fundraiser - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-project-reception-tickets-70197391287?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing
AMMCON - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/amm-con-2019-tickets-59291670984
GRPC - https://www.saf.org/grpc/

We're also visiting the Ben Avery shooting range, meeting with David Correia with Active Self Protection, and meeting other attorneys to discuss cases for Hawaii.

We're flying out on September 18th and returning on September 23rd.  Still time to join in with Team Hawaii.

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
Im just shooting my mouth off here and you can take this with a grain of salt since my involvement has been limited to donations and typing, but it seems to me there is a fundamental problem with choosing "defending our rights" as a goal for any organization. The main issue is that the goal itself is nebulous and lacks a specifically defined outcome, which makes it an ongoing struggle that will never end. This is the approach the NRA took with its campaign of fear, basically using its name to sell "Constitution Insurance" where members donate money in exchange for not having to think about the problem while feeling that they have done something. We see how that turned out, but regardless the smaller orgs do not have the name power and even if they did so many members feel burned by the scam and have no memory of the way things used to work in this country (both the USA and the Kingdom) where citizen still knew how to organize themselves.

Asking people to write a blank check with their time and energy (vs making a monetary donation) requires a specific achievable goal. Since our backs are against the wall in this state I would pick a relatively easy goal and organize around that with the intention of using each success as a stepping stone to build the necessary infrastructure for more difficult challenges. Conservatives in Hawaii have significant political power even if is unrealized at the moment. The registration numbers alone show this. If I was to take the first step it would be to study how people successfully turned situations like this with other groups (not necessarily gun related) that also had a big mess of cats to herd.
The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding. -Miyamoto Musashi

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 11:45:43 PM »
Zippz, you get my PM? Sent you something but haven't heard a reply.

punaperson

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:52 AM »
Im just shooting my mouth off here and you can take this with a grain of salt since my involvement has been limited to donations and typing, but it seems to me there is a fundamental problem with choosing "defending our rights" as a goal for any organization. The main issue is that the goal itself is nebulous and lacks a specifically defined outcome, which makes it an ongoing struggle that will never end. This is the approach the NRA took with its campaign of fear, basically using its name to sell "Constitution Insurance" where members donate money in exchange for not having to think about the problem while feeling that they have done something. We see how that turned out, but regardless the smaller orgs do not have the name power and even if they did so many members feel burned by the scam and have no memory of the way things used to work in this country (both the USA and the Kingdom) where citizen still knew how to organize themselves.

Asking people to write a blank check with their time and energy (vs making a monetary donation) requires a specific achievable goal. Since our backs are against the wall in this state I would pick a relatively easy goal and organize around that with the intention of using each success as a stepping stone to build the necessary infrastructure for more difficult challenges. Conservatives in Hawaii have significant political power even if is unrealized at the moment. The registration numbers alone show this. If I was to take the first step it would be to study how people successfully turned situations like this with other groups (not necessarily gun related) that also had a big mess of cats to herd.
Such as?