Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check (Read 8432 times)

macsak

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
You should have enough tinfoil at home that you can fashion your own armor. . .  :P

heads

drck1000

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »
There's a pic that I can't find that was used on the movie "Keep and bear".  Officer was stabbed inside a hospital.  Officer is 6"2, 240lbs and a 4th degree black belt or something.  The other guy was 5"2, 110lbs.  He suffered huge slashes on his chest and back, prob just above the vest.

IIRC basically the slash on his back was from shoulder to shoulder (Upper back), and so was the slash on his chest, just below the collar bone.
I've seen tons of "after pics" of knife attacks and they are damn nasty!  One was where a dude's scalp was split open and you could see his skull! 

When we used to train for knife disarms, the instructor would regularly remind us of "likely outcomes" of knife attacks and that even if you are successful in fending off a knife attack, you're most likely gonna get cut.  Even if you have a firearm, you're more likely than not gonna end up with the attacker on you.  Well, unless you hit a switch, or can run away pretty fast.  Former, I have a chance.  Latter, based on my current state of "old age", highly doubtful.   :(

changemyoil66

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
I tried to google search and its interesting that when you look up stuff like "officer slashed by knife" or "cop knife attack", many images and websites are in the UK.

I know the UK has a knife problem, but didn't know they went after cops also.  I guess UK cops afraid to shoot?

punaperson

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »
I tried to google search and its interesting that when you look up stuff like "officer slashed by knife" or "cop knife attack", many images and websites are in the UK.

I know the UK has a knife problem, but didn't know they went after cops also.  I guess UK cops afraid to shoot?
For many years UK cops did not carry firearms. In recent years, due to you-know-what, some in some areas have been allowed to carry.

drck1000

punaperson

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 06:59:38 AM »
Level IIIA blanket!

https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-level-iiia-4x6-ballistic-blanket-black-coyote/
I believe it's commonsense to have at least 30 of those in every classroom in the United States. I'll leave it some someone else to do the math (@ $1,000). But if it saves just one life! For the children!

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Body Armor Purchases to Require FBI Check
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
I believe it's commonsense to have at least 30 of those in every classroom in the United States. I'll leave it some someone else to do the math (@ $1,000). But if it saves just one life! For the children!

If the gov't is doing a blanket purchase (pun intended), the price goes up 150-400% to cover things like quality control (to guarantee each one meets requirements), warranty replacements, training programs for users, etc.

Blankets sporting the school's colors and mascot logo would, of course, be optional at additional cost.   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw