I'd be in favor of universal background checks with 3-year renewals as long as EVERYBODY has to get one. I mean EVERYONE 16 and older.
Everyone -- gun buyer/owner or not -- must submit to the same privacy-invasive system as gun buyers. Then, each person gets a gov't picture ID that states what the results were which are based on some code -- to protect their privacy while still letting others know their fitness to be trusted.
Next time you want a gun, just show the seller your "I'm a trusted person" card, and there will be no need for another NICS check. Maybe a quick check to see if anything changed since the last issue.renewal. That takes no time at all if they do it right. Set a flag in a database if there's a change. No flag? Approved!
So, if you're a felon, sex offender, wife beater, drug addict, habitual alcohol abuser, medical marijuana card-carrying patient, on the no-fly list, and so on, you are given codes for specific types of uses:
One code for buying guns: Yes or No
Another for being around kids, like working as a teacher or baby sitter: Yes or no
etc.
etc.
The issue is not the implement (guns), but rather it's the tendency of some in society to exhibit certain behaviors -- behaviors that represent a clear and present danger/risk in EVERYTHING they do, not just possessing firearms. Driving, buying large quantities of gasoline in portable containers, ordering their 8th cocktail at Happy Hour, taking pictures of other people's kids in a park, .... We need to know if we can trust people. PERIOD.
When the gov't stops treating all gun owners as potential criminals by treating us ALL that way, then I'll agree to these universal background checks. If it's not for everyone in the country 16 years old and up, then it's not UNIVERSAL.
"Can I help you officer?"
"Yes, we received a report you were watching the kids at the park while apparently there alone. Can we check your ID and Trust Data Card?"
"Sure."
"Great. I see you're not coded to stay away from minors. Sorry to bother you. Have a good evening, sir!"
