Protect Kahuku (Read 12775 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »
List your sources that make that claim.

My reading tells me there are efforts to map bird migration paths and move/shut down temporarily certain turbines in those paths, but

QUOTE

Major difference between your conclusion and that of the experts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/wind-energy-takes-toll-birds-now-there-s-help-ncna866336

It was from a 1A podcast where they had a number of guests. I can dig up a link if you would like.

Two specifics were mentioned when they addressed the issue. One was that earlier on they were placed in mountain passes which birds tended to fly in and that when placed in wide open areas this reduced the problem. The second was that earlier turbines were placed on structures that had places attractive to birds to land. The new streamlined style we see today doesn't leave much for the birds to land on.

Again, I didn't say it doesn't happen anymore, just say that it has been reduced significantly from what I heard in the podcast.

I do wonder if birds will just evolve over a few generations to learn to avoid them.

eyeeatingfish

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 10:46:38 PM »
There is no green energy solution that will replace fossil fuels. The only long term effective way to cope with their scarcity is to decrease demand. Pretty much everything else is a subsidy scam to get free money from the government.

Not completely no but I do think green energy stands to replace a significant chunk of fossil fuel usage.

Rocky

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
   Anti windmill folks cut utility poles and dropped them across Kam highway near Kahuku motocross to stop transport of windmills.   :wtf:
Power was out in upper Kahuku and Sunset but has since  been restored  :shake:
HPD with riot gear in force at scene. :popcorn:

   Yeah, making someone drive all the way around the island to get home or to work REALLY makes them want to support your cause.  :crazy: :crazy:


« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:01:28 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
Anyone see the vid where Hong Kong protestors blocked the road with stuff?  An emergency vehicle had to get through, so they cleared the way in about 12 seconds.  Was set up Mogadishu style.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
"Civil Disobedience" is NOT blocking roads, downing utility poles or otherwise disrupting the PUBLIC.

It is disrupting the GOVERNMENT, e.g. staging sit-ins, holding protests at government buildings, gathering signatures on petitions, and so on.

In London, Climate Change morons disrupted the daily train commute for thousands by standing on top of the trains.  They were pulled down and beaten up by some of the angry commuters.  Nothing says "I want to stop climate change" like protesting on top of public transportation systems that, you know, take cars off the street.   :wacko:

"Extinction Rebellion?"  LOL!!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2019/oct/17/protesters-dragged-off-dlr-train-as-extinction-rebellion-delay-commuters-in-london-video
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
"Civil Disobedience" is NOT blocking roads, downing utility poles or otherwise disrupting the PUBLIC.

It is disrupting the GOVERNMENT, e.g. staging sit-ins, holding protests at government buildings, gathering signatures on petitions, and so on.

In London, Climate Change morons disrupted the daily train commute for thousands by standing on top of the trains.  They were pulled down and beaten up by some of the angry commuters.  Nothing says "I want to stop climate change" like protesting on top of public transportation systems that, you know, take cars off the street.   :wacko:

"Extinction Rebellion?"  LOL!!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2019/oct/17/protesters-dragged-off-dlr-train-as-extinction-rebellion-delay-commuters-in-london-video

Most of these types of protestors aren't as smart as normal people, or being paid by someone to act in this manner of protest.  Maybe not the train guy, but other groups.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
Most of these types of protestors aren't as smart as normal people, or being paid by someone to act in this manner of protest.  Maybe not the train guy, but other groups.

It's not about intelligence.  It's about their need to get attention.  That's their #1 priority.  Nothing else factors into the thought process.

If they can do something outrageous enough to make it go viral on social media and in the news outlets, they've met their objective.

-- Standing on a street corner holding a sign:  "meh".

-- Standing in the middle of a street & stopping the flow of traffic while holding the same sign:  "national attention"
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »
Bravo! Great way to protest electricity generation - by cutting utility poles!
If they don't want electricity then don't give it to them.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
Bravo! Great way to protest electricity generation - by cutting utility poles!
If they don't want electricity then don't give it to them.

I'm sure they all used their smartphones and data plans to upload video to show how environmentally conscious they all are.

Hawaii uses the MOST fossil fuels for electricity generation of any state.  But, let's not let facts get in the way of opposing alternative energy sources.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
Someone told me in the 80's there was an island wide power outage.  And it was for a while. So they hooked up 1 of the nuclear carriers to the grid and supplied the power.  Any old timers can confirm this?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
Someone told me in the 80's there was an island wide power outage.  And it was for a while. So they hooked up 1 of the nuclear carriers to the grid and supplied the power.  Any old timers can confirm this?

A nuclear powered Navy ship is not configured to provide power to shore facilities, especially to an electric grid.

While it's been done with older, non-nuclear ships, it's not something a nuclear ship can easily do.  if you understand how generators (nuclear and non) create electricity ashore, and how a ship/sub operates (nuclear and non), you'd know that a nuclear reactor is not an electricity generator.  A reactor creates steam which is used to run a turbine generator to produce electric power and turbines to power the ship's non-electric propulsion systems.

To do what you said would require either a large generator on the ship with a large transmission cable feeding the shore grid, or some way to power ashore generators with the ship's steam.

If you want the long answer .....  This also touches on some history.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-691-seminar-in-electric-power-systems-spring-2006/projects/ship_to_shore.pdf
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

RSN172

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »
The only fairly long island wide power outage I recall in the 80s was during and after Hurricane Iwa.  I had a house in Punchbowl area and power was out for maybe day and a half, then some rolling blackouts for a few days.  On the West side, power was out for a few weeks in some areas. I have always owned a generator and everyone who has a single family home, even if you just rent, should have one.  On the BI, after Iselle, we had no power for 9 days.  I have 2 generators here and always have lots of fuel on hand during hurricane season.
Happily living in Puna

drck1000

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »
Someone told me in the 80's there was an island wide power outage.  And it was for a while. So they hooked up 1 of the nuclear carriers to the grid and supplied the power.  Any old timers can confirm this?
That's a common one heard for Guam. 

If you are truly interested, do some research in stuff like "shore power" (both breakers and grounding) and "ship power" requirements vs a commercial power plant. 

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer nor Naval nuclear engineer.  But I did spend the past week around many of both. . . almost as good as staying in a Holiday Inn for the week.   ;D

drck1000

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
   Anti windmill folks cut utility poles and dropped them across Kam highway near Kahuku motocross to stop transport of windmills.   :wtf:
Power was out in upper Kahuku and Sunset but has since  been restored  :shake:
HPD with riot gear in force at scene. :popcorn:

   Yeah, making someone drive all the way around the island to get home or to work REALLY makes them want to support your cause.  :crazy: :crazy:
That's the price you pay for living in the boonies paradise.

groveler

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
That's a common one heard for Guam. 

If you are truly interested, do some research in stuff like "shore power" (both breakers and grounding) and "ship power" requirements vs a commercial power plant. 

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer nor Naval nuclear engineer.  But I did spend the past week around many of both. . . almost as good as staying in a Holiday Inn for the week.   ;D
You don't like my comments, but I am an Electronics and Software engineer.
The amount of power in Joules in the grid is hard to grasp.
But all this stuff has to be synchronized or things explode.
Power plants are designed to shut down if the least little thing goes wrong.
I was helping on an engine run on a C5A once and the engine guy paralleled the
Ground Power Uni(GPU)t with the engines. Whole airplane shook and the GPU flipped over and
made a mess. The GPU was half the size of one of your Honolulu buses.
I don't think wind power is reliable.  I have 10.6 kW of solar panels ready to be installed,
so I'm amenable to PC power.  It is overpriced and not logical.
I'm a geothermal believer guy and local politics kills that.  Tahitians that showed up
here in Hawaii 800 years ago are so "special", they can dominate
and override logic.
So pay UP!






drck1000

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 06:13:46 PM »
You don't like my comments, but I am an Electronics and Software engineer.
The amount of power in Joules in the grid is hard to grasp.
But all this stuff has to be synchronized or things explode.
Power plants are designed to shut down if the least little thing goes wrong.
I was helping on an engine run on a C5A once and the engine guy paralleled the
Ground Power Uni(GPU)t with the engines. Whole airplane shook and the GPU flipped over and
made a mess. The GPU was half the size of one of your Honolulu buses.
I don't think wind power is reliable.  I have 10.6 kW of solar panels ready to be installed,
so I'm amenable to PC power.  It is overpriced and not logical.
I'm a geothermal believer guy and local politics kills that.  Tahitians that showed up
here in Hawaii 800 years ago are so "special", they can dominate
and override logic.
So pay UP!
I actually really do read your comments and very much value your input when sharing stories of personal experience and stuff. Complete respect for you as someone who has lots of experience in life in general. Dunno how old you are, but I do see much wisdom in some of your posts.

That said, the seemingly endless drone of Democrats should die, Oahu people should die, I think all Oahu people are idiots and should die. I hope Honolulu gets turned to sand by nuke, etc that has gotten way beyond old for me.

Anyways  :shaka:

Heavies

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »
I don't think this state should be building any large projects right now, especially any project supported by our "(D) leaders"

I have TONS of unfinished half started projects at home, but when it comes down to it, there are some things that TRULY matter.  So,  I bite the bullet, make hard choices, and cull these projects, to make it easier to complete the projects that really do make a difference for myself and my family.  The "feel good" projects can either go on hold or be shit canned completely.

This entire state needs to do the same. 

oldfart

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:17 AM »
I don't think this state should be building any large projects right now, especially any project supported by our "(D) leaders"

I have TONS of unfinished half started projects at home, but when it comes down to it, there are some things that TRULY matter.  So,  I bite the bullet, make hard choices, and cull these projects, to make it easier to complete the projects that really do make a difference for myself and my family.  The "feel good" projects can either go on hold or be shit canned completely.

This entire state needs to do the same.
==========
To be sure, nowadays ANY major construction project will be met with "protectors".
The sad thing is how these anti-development "protectors" enjoy the fruits of past development projects.
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 05:41:28 PM »
The "Non-Violent" protest continues, BUT
Fences cut, windmill mounting base post threads cut/damaged to the point where entire units require replacement $$$, material, equipment, company and guard vehicles vandalized etc...
 :wtf:
 Go ahead and protest, but try and keep it civil (aka legal).
Can't wait to see how the road blocks and such affect the Van's Big Wave.
 :popcorn:
 
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

Re: Protect Kahuku
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
The "Non-Violent" protest continues, BUT
Fences cut, windmill mounting base post threads cut/damaged to the point where entire units require replacement $$$, material, equipment, company and guard vehicles vandalized etc...
 :wtf:
 Go ahead and protest, but try and keep it civil (aka legal).
Can't wait to see how the road blocks and such affect the Van's Big Wave.
 :popcorn:
The Menehunes did all the mischief. They are a protected class so you can’t do anything against them.  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!