$50 borescope (Read 2167 times)

ren

Re: $50 borescope
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
another use for the borescope - seating bullets to the lands
From James Tate at Nationalmatch.us

Accurately measuring bullet contact with the lands for calculating jump has always been a problem for me. I was able to use the borescope to tell when an SMK 80 is touching the lands.

1) Insert borescope, without mirror, into the barrel from the crown end.

2) Insert bullet held by the Hornady OAL gauge.

3) Carefully slide the borescope until you can see the bullet. It needs to be clear enough to detect bullet rotation.

4) Gently push the bullet into the lands until you feel contact.

5) Watching through the borescope, rotate the OAL gauge. The bullet should rotate with the OAL gauge. If not, back out the bullet until it does.

6) Gently push the bullet in. Look for rotation. Push in gently until rotation stops.

7) Remove the bullet. If you are just touching the lands the bullet should come out without any force.

8 ) Measure the OAL.

In the one try I could see that at 2.495 the 80 SMK rotated. At 2.497 it would not rotate but easily came out with the OAL tool. At 2.500 the bullet was jammed and had to be pushed out.

This video is large but should stream easily. Not much to see but interesting. The first 10 seconds the bullet is seated at 2.495. You can see the bullet rotate freely when I rotate the COL tool. Second half, I adjusted the COL tool in and now the bullet will not rotate freely but you can see the bullet move as I rotate the OAL tool. Bullet did stay in the COL tool on extraction. This measured 2.497. Not in the video is the last step I made by pushing the bullet hard into the lands. That measured 2.450 on extraction. Extraction required a push from a cleaning rod.

In this case I would use 2.497 as the starting point to calculate any jump.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TvtAAU_jzfIZEdqBpeobnZwYtALhDBXC

esk808

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »

Ren,

You started this conversation..........   :D

Don't you want one?    Don't you need one ?

ren

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Ren,

You started this conversation..........   :D

Don't you want one?    Don't you need one ?

Contemplating one but I'm in a holding pattern as far as rifle shooting goes.
Working on interior plantation shutters, home improvement stuff got me occupied as well as work related mandatory stuff....

esk808

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »

Anybody bought one?

Tell me how you like it...............

jaynick

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
I have it. Pretty damn impressive after tinkering with the focus and the lighting. Each caliber will need different 'settings' i did .223 6.5 and .308 so far.
I bought it to check for pitting and mostly to see gas block port alignment. The angle of the light doesnt really reach down into the gas port but its just enough to confirm its aligned. It focuses no problem but its dark.

Major con is just like a lot of decent chinese sensor electronics it runs off of a buggy app.  In fact i blame the app for completely bricking my galaxy s9. It happened the same night few hours after installing. Id post the pretty clear shots i got of the 3 barrels i used it on before it crashed but all my photos not saved to sd card are gone for now  :grrr:. Im afraid of downloading the app to my only working smartphone i have left. I may try it again after black friday, if i find a good deal. Otherwise gonna wait til galaxy 11 in feb. I dont want to download to my tablet or pc. Before the black screen of death the app would get blocky n freeze after about 1-2 minutes of borescope use.

Anybody bought one?

Tell me how you like it...............

esk808

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
I have it. Pretty damn impressive after tinkering with the focus and the lighting. Each caliber will need different 'settings' i did .223 6.5 and .308 so far.
I bought it to check for pitting and mostly to see gas block port alignment. The angle of the light doesnt really reach down into the gas port but its just enough to confirm its aligned. It focuses no problem but its dark.

Major con is just like a lot of decent chinese sensor electronics it runs off of a buggy app.  In fact i blame the app for completely bricking my galaxy s9. It happened the same night few hours after installing. Id post the pretty clear shots i got of the 3 barrels i used it on before it crashed but all my photos not saved to sd card are gone for now  :grrr:. Im afraid of downloading the app to my only working smartphone i have left. I may try it again after black friday, if i find a good deal. Otherwise gonna wait til galaxy 11 in feb. I dont want to download to my tablet or pc. Before the black screen of death the app would get blocky n freeze after about 1-2 minutes of borescope use.

Wow, your experience is not too good yeah.........
I downloaded it to a large laptop, as I want to see a large picture. 
It worked as advertised... only thing is that there are white dust paticles on the lens or mirror which make it look messy....

ren

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »

jaynick

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
Well i cant be certain it was the app, the phone was over a year old i guess. It took clear enough pics for me to try again. I have a backup phone to try it on now.
I just ordered the gen2 straight rod. I returned the flexible one. Ill report back if its any better.

Wow, your experience is not too good yeah.........
I downloaded it to a large laptop, as I want to see a large picture. 
It worked as advertised... only thing is that there are white dust paticles on the lens or mirror which make it look messy....

Eric808

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 06:12:25 AM »
I would restore your phone to factory settings and clear all data.  Then just load that app and see if it happens again.

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 07:49:02 AM »
I would be interested but there is no iPhone/iPad version. Unless I missed something?
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.