In the context recent WB stuff, I've been hearing a lot of "well, Mr. Soandso is a career diplomat" in the light of demonstrating validity or confidence in that individual's statement. Personally, I could see it both ways. As in a strength in that individual's breadth and depth of knowledge and experience is invaluable, like our Kupuna. Then there's the aspect that the are deeply entrenched in the deep state, or the "Johnny-do-nothing" Gov't employee who milks and works the system, or others that I wouldn't necessarily consider an authority. In the context of the WB issue, I actually have more doubts that lead me toward the latter.
Where are work now, there are very much both. There are those who have 30+ years of Gov't service, but the quickly growing trend is for those who have 10-15 years of private company experience. Actually, the latter is what my organization is targeting in many cases. While I have many coworkers in the former who I would consider invaluable, there are also those so are stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mindset and end up mostly bogging things down.
Anyways, what is your opinion when it comes to a "career diplomat"?