Survival Food (Read 2937 times)

drck1000

Re: Survival Food
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »
I have tried several of the Mountain House food packets and have no complaints as far as taste goes.  This is survival food, not fine dining.  I got enough food in the freezer and pantry to go at least two weeks before I have to hit my survival food stash.  Keep a good supply of coffee, salt and sugar to barter with.
Same here. The breakfast skillet and chicken and rice are decent. It’s calories and East to prep.

Tried Wise and another. Wise was what I would save for last. 🤢

groveler

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
I have tried several of the Mountain House food packets and have no complaints as far as taste goes.  This is survival food, not fine dining.  I got enough food in the freezer and pantry to go at least two weeks before I have to hit my survival food stash.  Keep a good supply of coffee, salt and sugar to barter with.
Point well taken, but as I said I'm one of those kind that prep for TEOTWAWKI.
So I live off my survival foods and rotate through the stash.  One important thing
to remember is to keep your spirits up. I'd be pretty depressed if I had to live off
Mountain brand for a month.  A couple of days out hunting in a primitive wilderness
area eating that stuff is enough for anybody.  I've done it. I'd go with Pemmican
and hard tack, next primitive wilderness trip.
Also better barter is alcohol, tobacco, et al.  Things people may have habits for.
I quit drinking coffee 12 or so years ago, but I know people that try as they
might can't stop smoking.
Keep on Prepping!

RSN172

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
I know that alcohol and tobacco is very powerful bartering items.  Alcohol I am ok with, but I don't like tobacco and won't
supply anyone with it.  Lots of feral pigs and chickens around me, so I can supplement my survival diet with that.  That is
where having a good supply of salt comes in handy.  Salt won't go bad, doesn’t attract bugs and makes bland food tasty.
Imagine having to eat pork or chicken with no seasoning.  You will get nourishment, but not enjoy it. 

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
I know that alcohol and tobacco is very powerful bartering items.  Alcohol I am ok with, but I don't like tobacco and won't
supply anyone with it.  Lots of feral pigs and chickens around me, so I can supplement my survival diet with that.  That is
where having a good supply of salt comes in handy.  Salt won't go bad, doesn’t attract bugs and makes bland food tasty.
Imagine having to eat pork or chicken with no seasoning.  You will get nourishment, but not enjoy it.
Did people back in the day use gunpowder for seasoning?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GlockNewb

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
Did people back in the day use gunpowder for seasoning?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Considering one of the possible sources of salt petre, hard pass on that... :shaka:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate (See”French Method” or “Swiss Method”)
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."