Mental Health Release? (Read 3119 times)

Thisismyusername

Mental Health Release?
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
I tried finding answers from previous posters but I seeing stuff from back in 2014.

Anyway I answered yes to question 11 on the Hawai'I permit application when we PCS'd here because I see a shrink for ADHD. Luckily I was able to register all my firearms to my wife.

I now have a shrink on island who says he's willing to do a release or w/e is required but hes not sure what he needs to write or fill out.

Can someone point me to a form or a an example letter I'd need to get cleared. TIA

macsak

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
I tried finding answers from previous posters but I seeing stuff from back in 2014.

Anyway I answered yes to question 11 on the Hawai'I permit application when we PCS'd here because I see a shrink for ADHD. Luckily I was able to register all my firearms to my wife.

I now have a shrink on island who says he's willing to do a release or w/e is required but hes not sure what he needs to write or fill out.

Can someone point me to a form or a an example letter I'd need to get cleared. TIA

key phrase is "no longer adversely affected"

Thisismyusername

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
Anyone have an example letter or be able to point me to where I could find one?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:20:23 PM »
Anyone have an example letter or be able to point me to where I could find one?

This is not a DIY process.  You need to find a doctor willing to write the letter first.  Chances are that doctor already knows what is needed, hopefully because they have written them in the past.

If the doctor asks you for an example of the letter, you might want to get another doctor.  It's their job to contact the firearms division rather than take whatever examples you believe might be correct.  The doctor should trust an official answer straight from HPD over what the patient says.  Patients can make mistakes .... like trusting what some stranger on the Internet told them to use.   :wtf:

Just my opinion.  There is a forum member who I believe wrote letters for applicants on Hawaii Island.  His forum handle is tillamook.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=34081.msg302188#msg302188

Good luck. :shaka:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Thisismyusername

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
@Flapp_Jackson I have a provider who's willing to write/sign a letter for me and who's covered by my insurance. The problem I'm faced with is the latter MHC are pretty expensive out of pocket and I'd guess most would want to have multiple visits and want to review your entire record before they make a decision. So I have a provider who's willing to sign but isnt certain on the verbiage. Its probably a pretty generic blanket letter I'm just looking for an example to provide my provider whom I already see and is covered by my insurance.

macsak

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
@Flapp_Jackson I have a provider who's willing to write/sign a letter for me and who's covered by my insurance. The problem I'm faced with is the latter MHC are pretty expensive out of pocket and I'd guess most would want to have multiple visits and want to review your entire record before they make a decision. So I have a provider who's willing to sign but isnt certain on the verbiage. Its probably a pretty generic blanket letter I'm just looking for an example to provide my provider whom I already see and is covered by my insurance.

the key phrase is "no longer adversely affected"

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:40:09 PM »
@Flapp_Jackson I have a provider who's willing to write/sign a letter for me and who's covered by my insurance. The problem I'm faced with is the latter MHC are pretty expensive out of pocket and I'd guess most would want to have multiple visits and want to review your entire record before they make a decision. So I have a provider who's willing to sign but isnt certain on the verbiage. Its probably a pretty generic blanket letter I'm just looking for an example to provide my provider whom I already see and is covered by my insurance.

I stand by my advise.  Give the doctor HPD's contact info and let him/her work out the details.  Better that they get the info straight from the source.

But, it's totally up to you.  I wouldn't rely on secondhand info that might be outdated or unreliable. 

Just my opinion.

Good luck.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

tillamook

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
The phrase that needs to be in the letter is as follows:

"<name> is no longer adversely affected by the addiction, abuse, dependence, mental disease, disorder or defect. "

Then the doctor needs to put their license number on the note as well. 

Big Island occasionally wants the physician to sign their form with that exact sentence on it instead of  a letter. 



 

Thisismyusername

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »
 :stopjack: Bumping this out of the depths. Anyone know a doc on Oahu who handles this sort of thing?

TIA

aaronc5362

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 03:55:46 PM »
You can use your regular doctor.

I used my physician who I go to when I feel sick. Lol.

macsak

Re: Mental Health Release?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
HRA used to have a list...