AR15 Lower Registration Question (Read 5933 times)

nac312

AR15 Lower Registration Question
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
So if I were to buy a lower, do I have to register it ? Or do I only have to register it once it is built out as an actual functioning rifle..

Flapp_Jackson

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
So if I were to buy a lower, do I have to register it ? Or do I only have to register it once it is built out as an actual functioning rifle..

If you're talking about a lower with a serial number applied by the manufacturer, you have to register immediately after purchase.  You also have to have a valid Long Gun permit to do the transfer.  Doesn't matter if it's non-functioning.  The receiver is classified as a "firearm" ... at least it is for now.  There's a court case arguing whether an AR-15 lower receiver actually fits the ATF definition of "receiver" or not.  There's a thread on that if interested.

If, however, you're referring to an 80% lower, you only register it after you've milled it beyond the 80% threshold.  You'll need to engrave your own serial number on the receiver to register it, or let HPD do their best to engrave your permit control number on it for you.   :shake:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Mdotweber

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:51:38 PM »
If the officer(s) tell you that you have to bring the rifle back once completed, know that you have NO legal obligation to comply. Don't argue with them about it just thank them and leave.
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

nac312

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?

dogman

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:51:54 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?
If you buy or transfer the serialized lower receiver through Hawaii FFL, HPD will contact you for non registration. FFL notifies HPD of the sale or transfer.

6716J

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:05:45 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?

If you don't make the mandatory pilgrimage to HPD within 5 days of receipt of the firearm, AKA "The Lower Receiver", and it REMAINS IN HAWAII, you are in violation of the law. Now, if the lower leaves the state within 5 days, you have zero obligation to register it. However, you may receive a letter stating that you have failed to register the firearm. I would respond back with a certified letter stating the receiver left the state within the 5 day period, thus making registration not required.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

macsak

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
no one on this forum does anything illegal...

changemyoil66

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?

There is no "title" for selling if you move like a car title.

Check with VA's laws prior to moving also.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?

Your firearm registrations stay on file forever unless you take extraordinary steps to have them expunged from the database.  Every firearm ever registered and taken to another state is probably still on their books -- for historical reference.

As far as HPD is concerned, if the firearm leaves the state, they aren't interested.  Only if the firearm turns up at a crime scene / in possession of a prohibited person will HPD bother you to investigate to see if you still own it.

Other states don't check Hawaii gun registrations.  Sell it, bequeath it, gift it ... HPD will never know -- or care.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

robtmc

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 05:52:00 AM »
So if I were to buy a lower in Hawaii, forget about it / never register it, and move to another state, say Virginia,  would I be able to sell it? Would my possession of that lower put me at any legal risk?
If taking it to VA, do it quick.  From what i have read, just about anything to do with firearms is in danger of being made illegal.

changemyoil66

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
If taking it to VA, do it quick.  From what i have read, just about anything to do with firearms is in danger of being made illegal.

But they do have the Sheriff who will deputize thousands who pass background checks and have a well regulated militia forming with membership cards and all. 

robtmc

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
But they do have the Sheriff who will deputize thousands who pass background checks and have a well regulated militia forming with membership cards and all.
Not much help if you do not live in his county?

6716J

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
Not much help if you do not live in his county?
I don't know... If you have a sworn statement of deputization, you will fall under LEO protection. And that's nationwide (except Hawaii and New Jersey which are communist)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Mdotweber

Re: AR15 Lower Registration Question
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »



"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?