Is 12ga reloading cost effective? (Read 2852 times)

tim808

Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:29:03 PM »
Is reloading 12ga for trap and sheet worth cost effective if shooting only 1-2 times a month?   Say max 200 rds/month

Assuming you collect hulls and only paying for wad, primer, shot and powder, I’m thinking the cost will be about .20/reload vs about .25/new

My savings would be $5 for 100 rounds or $10/month.  Not much of a savings for the space/time investment

Are the hand rolled shotgun ammo much better at trap/skeet than commercial ammo? 

Hi state

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »
No it’s not, by the time you buy all the components even if you have the hulls your not saving much money if anything plus how much is your time worth to you

oldfart

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
Not worth it until a Democrat gets elected into the White House.
What, Me Worry?

tim808

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
Thanks Hi State! 
Thanks Old Fart!

OF - was shotgun ammo also wiped out after Sandy Hook?  If so I better start stocking up on birdshot for trap/skeet

oldfart

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
Thanks Hi State! 
Thanks Old Fart!

OF - was shotgun ammo also wiped out after Sandy Hook?  If so I better start stocking up on birdshot for trap/skeet
...
I am not an avid shotgun shooter, but I can tell you that it was tough getting pistol ammo, 22 ammo, powder and primers.
A lot of people on this forum believe in being prepared for droughts.
By the way, I have a progressive mec loader with tons of extra hulls, wads, and other stuff for sale cheap.
What, Me Worry?

tim808

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
Hi OF
Hah!  It was your mec that got me to asking.  I have reloading equipment for 223 that I have still sitting for years unused

I just buy cheap wolf.   I think similar for birdshot.  I’m too lazy to reload

oldfart

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
Hi OF
Hah!  It was your mec that got me to asking.  I have reloading equipment for 223 that I have still sitting for years unused

I just buy cheap wolf.   I think similar for birdshot.  I’m too lazy to reload
.....
I used to reload 12 ga but don't shoot shotgun much any more. It was fun to create specialty shotgun ammo though.
I cast my own bullets so I don't worry about bullet supply. I just stock up on powder and primers.
What, Me Worry?

tim808

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »
Hey, your like that guy on YouTube, taofeldermaus.

So do you just re-use wads or do you make your wads?

Do you just use whatever is around like marbles or coins?  That would be interesting/fun.   I assume a friend has a farm where you can test your creations

oldfart

Re: Is 12ga reloading cost effective?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »
Hey, your like that guy on YouTube, taofeldermaus.

So do you just re-use wads or do you make your wads?

Do you just use whatever is around like marbles or coins?  That would be interesting/fun.   I assume a friend has a farm where you can test your creations
....
Modified wads. Mixed pellet sizes. You have to understand how the shell is constructed and have a variety of powders.
Basically, it's a pain in the ass.

Pistol ammo is simpler. I'm working on a simplified rat load for my coworker in 45 acp now.
What, Me Worry?