Barrel Cutting and Threading (Read 2388 times)

kala201

Barrel Cutting and Threading
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
Is there anyone in the islands capable of cutting down a shotgun barrel and then threading it to accept different chokes?

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Barrel Cutting and Threading
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
We can do it as long as we can remove the barrel.....
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

Kingkeoni

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:57:07 PM »
Is there anyone in the islands capable of cutting down a shotgun barrel and then threading it to accept different chokes?

Sniff, sniff...

It smells like you just bought a 20 gauge shotgun. :geekdanc:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Colt808

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:25:49 AM »

The costs can add up (cut, thread and re-attaching the sight).  Unless you have some really obscure shotgun, you'd probably be better off buying a new barrel.

Sniff, sniff...

It smells like you just bought a 20 gauge shotgun. :geekdanc:

I'm guessing a 12ga w/ 20+" barrel and fixed choke.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

kala201

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
KK- You so funny...   :D

Bought JC's shotty alright.  I guess I'll head down to X-Ring sometime this week and look at what my options are.

Teichi

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »
The Polychoke is a pretty good setup. Have you tried to shoot it on the trap or skeet ranges? It may prove to be a good shooter.

kala201

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »
The Polychoke is a pretty good setup. Have you tried to shoot it on the trap or skeet ranges? It may prove to be a good shooter.

No I never tried it.  I want to turn this into a turkey gun.  That is kindof why I want to shorten it too.  I was thinking about having it shortened to 22"-24".  JC had mentioned that the polychoke was a pretty good setup when I bought it. So while I want a shorter barrel I am a little torn on what to do now.

BananaClip

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »
Shoots Kala201, you making me excited... I gotta find my hacksaw....and put in order in for a Tap/Die set for my shotty ;)

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

jc2721

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »
No I never tried it.  I want to turn this into a turkey gun.  That is kindof why I want to shorten it too.  I was thinking about having it shortened to 22"-24".  JC had mentioned that the polychoke was a pretty good setup when I bought it. So while I want a shorter barrel I am a little torn on what to do now.

I would suggest taking it over to X ring and let them take a look at it.  Find out if they can cut the barrel and remount the polychoke, and how much that would cost.  Get a quote on cutting the barrel and threading it for the screw in chokes as well.  Then, go with your gut--get what you want.

If you're not in a rush, pattern the shotgun as is on a large piece of paper or cardboard.  If it shoots tight enough and it's on target, then I'd seriously think about leaving it alone.  If the polychoke isn't tight enough, then go with the screw in chokes and get the turkey tube (extra full?).