Cold bluing (Read 2299 times)

spicynoodle_1

Cold bluing
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
Since being home so much lately, thought I'd take a stab at rebluing my Taurus 85. Just did the cylinder. I used a cold blue from brownells that I picked up from SEC a little while ago. Never had any experience doing this. Just went with the instructions on the bottle. I think it came out pretty good. There was very little rust that came off with some steel wool. The bluing seemed to take more in certain areas, so some spots aren't as blue as I would've liked. Wasn't planning on making a post on this originally, so no before pics. But it was pretty faded. Overall satisfied with the results... just thought I'd share...

Gunguy808

Re: Cold bluing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:54:49 PM »
That's really nice I have a really old 1911 that needs cold blued  :shaka: :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Cold bluing
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:37:24 AM »
Was that with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue Liquid?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

spicynoodle_1

Re: Cold bluing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »
Not sure. Not home right now so I cant check, but as soon as I get home I will. It's a clear bottle with a bluish-green liquid, if that helps. I'll post a pic later.

That's another thing... I can post pics now... :geekdanc: