Trump's Executive Order on Social Media (Read 1765 times)

Mr. Farknocker

Trump's Executive Order on Social Media
« on: May 28, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-executive-order-on-social-media

I haven't seen the order yet but am already wondering what impact, if any, the EO may have on Youtube?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Trump's Executive Order on Social Media
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-executive-order-on-social-media

I haven't seen the order yet but am already wondering what impact, if any, the EO may have on Youtube?

Likely none from one federal attorney podcaster I listen to. He could try of course but social media groups would almost certainly draw it out in court. I can't recall the specifics but any EO Trump could give wouldn't be a direct restriction on social media but would try to undermine certain protections or certain benefits they currently have under some statutes.

What bothers me a bit is how far this potentially infringes in on the first amendment (depends on exactly what the EO contained). I don't think any conservative should be comfortable with this even if they like Trump for many other reasons.