Need help identifying a Lee-Enfield No. 5 MK I. (Read 1069 times)

Tom_G

Need help identifying a Lee-Enfield No. 5 MK I.
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
One of the rifles I just brought back from the mainland.  Research convinces me that this is a #5 MK I, not a cut-down No.4 as is so often seen.  It has a couple of peculiarities, including an almost total lack of markings.

Photos here.

Odds are it's a BSA.  They were known for light markings, and it does bear a proof stamp from their Birmingham factory.  But aside from that proof, the receiver is devoid of markings. 

Can't wait to see the reception I get at HPD for a gun that has no manufacturer, no caliber, and no serial number!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

GreenStomper

Re: Need help identifying a Lee-Enfield No. 5 MK I.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
can't help ya out, nice carbine
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!
Tap,Rack, Bang!

swissk31

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Liberalism is a mental disorder - M. Savage
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Need help identifying a Lee-Enfield No. 5 MK I.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:19 AM »

Here's a picture of an original refurbished RFI jungle carbine. Also if I remember correctly there is a difference between the regular rifle rear sight and the jungle carbine. Some thing about sight distance markings not going out as far as the regular rifle not sure though. I was researching this years ago when security equip. Had one on there rack.

This is what I found on wiki

The easiest way to identify a "Jungle Carbine" rifle is to look for the markings on the left hand side of the receiver; a genuine No. 5 will have "Rifle No 5 Mk I" electrostencilled there,[15] while a post-war conversion will generally have either no markings or markings from manufacturers who did not make the No. 5 Mk I (for example, Savage or Long Branch).[2] Santa Fe "Jungle Carbine" rifles are so marked on the barrel.[14]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:43:17 AM by swissk31 »