Possible violation of state law....? (Read 1382 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Possible violation of state law....?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
Why are you so immature?  You offered nothing more than a tantrum.

Go take a time-out.  Maybe you'll think of something more productive to offer.

The "situation" given to them?  Did you MISS the press conference where the POLICE DEPARTMENT is pushing for even more gun control laws?

"Given to them".  LOL!! Right!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One word:

NUANCE

Drakiir84

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 06:59:32 AM »
Ok, lets write section 134 so that each and every law in it will encompass anything and everything that could ever happen. Police station burns down, aliens attack, a pandemic happens, a tsunami happens, etc etc.

They are doing what they can based on what the situation is giving them. They could pack people in a line like usual but then they would be violating covid19 orders. Is it perfect? No, of course not, they had to rush it into place but all things considering I think the system is actually quite decent. The reservation system is nice so you don't have to stand in line for 2 hours and they are giving us extra leeway in registering our firearms. Usually people complain when government makes it harder to register firearms but you are complaining that they made it easier.

You are the absolute worst.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »

He's just repeating his boss' the Police Chief's sentiments.

If HPD really wanted to make it easier, they would eliminate the 2 week wait if you already had to wait that long for an appointment.  The 2 weeks is supposed to be a "cooling off" period, not extra time to do a background check.  They could easily finish that in 3 days or less.  Does anyone really believe waiting 2 weeks BEFORE applying for a permit is going to "cool you down" any less than having to wait 2 week AFTER applying?

Yeah.  They really want to make the process easier for buyers.   :wacko:   :rofl:   :rofl:
"That's what laws are for...  If the right people don't break 'em, they're of no use whatsoever.""

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »
I’ve been saying that for years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »

Sorry I don't live in a fairy tale land powered by idealism. I would like a better system as much as the next guy but I know its not that simple for the department to satisfy both the gun law chapter and the cover orders in a way that will satisfy all.

Hence nuance.

hvybarrels

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • board waxed - powder dry
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 12:43:22 AM »
Sorry I don't live in a fairy tale land powered by idealism. I would like a better system as much as the next guy but I know its not that simple for the department to satisfy both the gun law chapter and the cover orders in a way that will satisfy all.

Hence nuance.

6716J

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »

Hence nuance.

Really? I can think of one if they want to make everyone wait. Why don't they just do what California, Hawaii's big communist brother does and allow the FFLs to do the BG checks. Still have to wait 10 days (and up to 30 now in COVID). CA makes everyone who want to exercise their right do the BG, obtain a Firearms Safety Certificate and take a test in safe handling. And while I object to all of those things, at least their system is still functioning. And according to the vendors on the site, when purchases/transfers are made, they fax all the info right to HPD so it should not be any problem with communication. The NICS system is fairly instant (that would be the instant part of the NICS acronym). The decision to oppress us lies solely at the feet of the legislature and the chief.

Hawaii is broke dick. They don't give a shit about our rights. They just want to control us.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

ren

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
He's just repeating his boss' the Police Chief's sentiments.

If HPD really wanted to make it easier, they would eliminate the 2 week wait if you already had to wait that long for an appointment.  The 2 weeks is supposed to be a "cooling off" period, not extra time to do a background check.  They could easily finish that in 3 days or less.  Does anyone really believe waiting 2 weeks BEFORE applying for a permit is going to "cool you down" any less than having to wait 2 week AFTER applying?

Yeah.  They really want to make the process easier for buyers.   :wacko:   :rofl:   :rofl:

One way to disprove this "cooling off period" BS is to look at how many people opt out of acquiring a firearm after waiting 2 weeks. I'd bet that number is non existent

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
One way to disprove this "cooling off period" BS is to look at how many people opt out of acquiring a firearm after waiting 2 weeks. I'd bet that number is non existent

Not sure that's true.

If the buyer already paid for the gun, they are stuck buying it -- perhaps to turn around a resell it if they have "cooled off?" 

Most FFLs have an "all firearm sales are final" policy unless you are denied your permit. They can't legally transfer the gun to you without the permit.

Just thinking out loud -- on a keyboard.   :geekdanc:
"That's what laws are for...  If the right people don't break 'em, they're of no use whatsoever.""

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 07:46:28 PM »
Thinking about this further....

Maybe there needs to be a law prohibiting "all sales are final" gun store policies?  (sarcasm alert!)

The reasoning would be:

if a person bought the gun, then decided after the 2 week wait not to go forward with their planned use of it -- whatever that might be -- the store policy almost pushes the buyer past a "point of no return" (pun intended).  Rather than lose hundreds on a purchase by never picking it up, they're more likely to get it, register it, and have it on hand should they once again change their mind or decide to use it in some other irresponsible way later.

I say, if they have second thoughts, don't force them into a corner.   :geekdanc:

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
Really? I can think of one if they want to make everyone wait. Why don't they just do what California, Hawaii's big communist brother does and allow the FFLs to do the BG checks. Still have to wait 10 days (and up to 30 now in COVID). CA makes everyone who want to exercise their right do the BG, obtain a Firearms Safety Certificate and take a test in safe handling. And while I object to all of those things, at least their system is still functioning. And according to the vendors on the site, when purchases/transfers are made, they fax all the info right to HPD so it should not be any problem with communication. The NICS system is fairly instant (that would be the instant part of the NICS acronym). The decision to oppress us lies solely at the feet of the legislature and the chief.

Hawaii is broke dick. They don't give a shit about our rights. They just want to control us.

Generally I find incompetent bureaucracy a much more plausible and accurate explanation than some malicious intent.

What I was getting at with the covid situation is that they are stuck trying to satisfy two different laws at the same time that can't be both fully adhered to. They can't both socially distance and cram in every person who is waiting for their permit. So they are sort of stuck breaking one law or the other. Thats where I think they are trying to do what they have to do while balancing between two laws that make enforcing the other difficult. .

I have my own ideas on how to improve the permit to purchase system and even contacted my representatives but that hasn't really gone anywhere. But that is a separate topic.