I would not have used a 2X4.
I would have done an
"Unforgiven" display.
of the perp.
Keep in mind in the movie that was
a good guy killed, but it was a powerful
image to those that submit.
I don't like people that submit.
I have to contradict you.
Ned shot the horse the first cowboy they were going to kill was riding. His intent was to kill the rider. He conspired to commit murder for hire. Just because he lost his nerve as the cowboy tried to crawl away doesn't make him a "good guy".
Remember, he and William Munny were both "retired outlaws." Just because he was tortured to death by a "bad sheriff" doesn't make him any better.
I think most miss the underlying theme of the story. Most of the people in the story were "bad" who occasionally did good deeds. Li'l Bill was a sadistic monster pretending to uphold the law. Skinny ran a bar and whorehouse and decorated the front of his place with Ned's body. The women, besides being prostitutes, conspired and paid for murder for hire. The Schofield Kid killed the second cowboy, who did the cutting at the whorehouse. English Bob was a known gunman. Mr. Beauchamp idolized and immortalized killers in his writings.
About the only main character that I'd say didn't do anything wrong during the timeline in the story, as far as we know, was the cowboy, Davey-Boy, who was guilty of the assault by association only, and who tried to atone for what his friend did by offering a pony to the victim above the ones he was "fined".
"Unforgiven" has many connotations. Davey-Boy was not forgiven by the women at the whorehouse even after he tried to make amends. The cowboys weren't forgiven by Li'l Bill -- he fined them. English Bob wasn't forgiven for lying about having a firearm and got severely beaten. Li'l Bill wasn't forgiven by Munny for killing Ned. The list goes on. None of that even begins to look into how Munny felt he was ever forgiven for his past life.
Great movie if you watch it a few times and focus on different aspects of what the title might be referring to.
Just wanted to give my book review. Just my opinion, of course. The meaning of art is in the eye and mind of the beholder.
