Dillon 550 or 750 (Read 4920 times)

tim808

Dillon 550 or 750
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »
Background
I have:
Lee single stage
Lee classic turret.
Had a used Dillon which I never used and basically almost gave it to a friend - $75 and twisted his arm to take it)
annealer
Giraud tri - trimmer

My wife and son (and his friends) are now joining me. 

Since ammo may be pricey if the Democrats control things, reloading seems the way to go.

I’m done a little 223 reloading before but ammo was cheap so I didn’t think it was worth my time. 

I’ve put together a 9mm Ar and will likely make another.

I’m looking at making plinking 9mm (have 4000 bullets) and plinking  223 (3000 bullets)

When ammo prices drop I’ll probably stop reloading.  I’m guessing that may be around 2028ish

I’m looking at getting the 750 sInce they are available and can feed rifle cases.   Not really sure the if that is really needed, but buy once, cry once?

Maybe there is a better value press?

ETA - Changed heads to bullets
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:48:36 PM by tim808 »

macsak

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 04:06:28 PM »
Background
I have:
Lee single stage
Lee classic turret.
Had a used Dillon which I never used and basically almost gave it to a friend - $75 and twisted his arm to take it)
annealer
Giraud tri - trimmer

My wife and son (and his friends) are now joining me. 

Since ammo may be pricey if the Democrats control things, reloading seems the way to go.

I’m done a little 223 reloading before but ammo was cheap so I didn’t think it was worth my time. 

I’ve put together a 9mm Ar and will likely make another.

I’m looking at making plinking 9mm (have 4000 heads) and plinking  223 (3000 heads)

When ammo prices drop I’ll probably stop reloading.  I’m guessing that may be around 2028ish

I’m looking at getting the 750 sInce they are available and can feed rifle cases.   Not really sure the if that is really needed, but buy once, cry once?

Maybe there is a better value press?

get the best you can afford
at least the 750, if not the 1100 :)

ren

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
I agree with the 750 for the case feed. I think you mean bullets - NOT HEADs. That's just dumb. Don't be Dumb Joe Biden. Every time you say heads as a reference to bullets, Macsak gets a cavity.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:22:25 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I just got a 550.  I considered the 750 but it wasn't worth the cost for me at the time.  It was a good decision because nowadays I just buy rounds and haven't used the 550 in years.  I may have to start reloading again if the elections don't go the way we want.

Sounds like the 750 with the case feeder is worth it for you if you shoot that many rounds a year and just in those two calibers.  The caliber changes would take up extra time on that.

macsak

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
I agree with the 750 for the case feed. I think you mean bullets - NOT HEADs. That's just dumb. Don't be Dumb Joe Biden. Every time you say heads as a reference to bullets, Macsak gets a cavity.

i know lots of not a real doctors that can fix it for me...

macsak

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:48 PM »
i know lots of not a real doctors that can fix it for me...

heads
heads
heads

ren

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 04:50:11 PM »
Deeds Not Words

dogman

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »

tim808

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
I’ve kind of wondered about all the “heads” replies

If heads gets you so upset, you need to get married and have a few kids.  After 30 years of that, heads, clips and all the other wrong terms that people use - will roll right off your back.  That’s how it is for most of us.

I’ll be at the range this Wednesday.  You can insult me face to face



dogman

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 07:36:57 PM »
magazines

ren

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
my apologies to all those I offended. I meant it to be some form of humor. I remember using that term when I first reloaded in 1998. Then I went to the mainland for a bit and was humbled.

Id like to add that the Hornady AP is the competitor to the 750 and the 650 before it. 5 stations, case feeder and auto indexing. It is cheaper than the Dillon for caliber conversion as you don't need to buy toolheads and you can leave the powder measure on the machine. Resale value is a lot less than the Dillon if that matters and it's red.

Peace out :shaka:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:29:27 AM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

dogman

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
I have a Dillon 550 and Hornady AP without case feeder. I don't use the Dillon much anymore. With the Hornady I've loaded only handgun cartridges, 9mm to 500 magnum. If you can afford it, get the Dillon 1100 (includes case feeder), which is what I am on the fence with right now, even with a five month wait.

Going off topic here, it doesn't take much effort to use the correct terminology.

oldfart

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
curious to know why the OP would keep LEE presses and dump a Dillon
What, Me Worry?

dogman

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
clips

mrgaf

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
Either one is fine but me thinks the 550 is more forgiving when mistakes are made, it can be used as a single stage and cheaper than a 750 or 1100. That being said if you’re gonna shoot a sh-t load of pistol & rifle all the time then the 750 is what I would recommend. If you have plenty of $$ then the 1100 but imho if you’re going to load a lot of ammo, stock up and let the press sit idle for awhile the 550 would be a great choice. Once you learn the 550 and get your rhythm down pat you can really fly with the 550. For me, having to index manually was never a handicap.....
Just saying :shaka:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:50:08 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Rocky

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
+1 on the 550
I like to "fingerprint" my loads alot.  :love:
Inspection during separation, de-priming, tumbling, drying and loading and final inspection tends to catch all.
Cracked cases, flipped primers whatever.
We also single stage all .308's as we have "Secret Recipe".  :rofl: :rofl:
Doing 9mm, I can get 100 in about 17 minutes and I'm staging brass and bullet with right hand as left 'stay broke", so a normal human being should get close to 500 an hr.
As a knowledgeable  :worship:  friend once told me "Those automated presses are a great way to make alot of bad ammo quickly".  :grrr:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

wirecounter

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
Either one is fine but me thinks the 550 is more forgiving when mistakes are made, it can be used as a single stage and cheaper than a 750 or 1100. That being said if you’re gonna shoot a sh-t load of pistol & rifle all the time then the 750 is what I would recommend. If you have plenty of $$ then the 1100 but imho if you’re going to load a lot of ammo, stock up and let the press sit idle for awhile the 550 would be a great choice. Once you learn the 550 and get your rhythm down pat you can really fly with the 550. To me having to index manually was never a handicap.....
Just saying :shaka:

+1 for the reasons stated above.

tim808

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »
My apologies.  I’m a cranky old man and not into trading insults on the internet.....my typing sucks and I’m not witty.

Peace and have a great day

Oldfart - I only had the used Dillon at the time.  (The turret I got a few years ago.  Got the single stage just recently from Mrgaf)

Sold the Dillon because my friend almost blown us up.  I decided reloading was too dangerous for me so I sold the Dillon to my friend so he could load more/faster (and coincidentally I stopped going to the range with him). 

Yep, I don’t like him that much.  I thought it was a sure way of getting rid of him.  Maui High scum :-)

I’m hoping Mrgaf upgrades and sells me his Dillon.  I should have bought it when he was willing to sell it but I was broke after buying his rifle
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:43:47 PM by tim808 »

mrgaf

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »
My apologies.  I’m a cranky old man and not into trading insults on the internet.....my typing sucks and I’m not witty.

Peace and have a great day

Oldfart - I only had the used Dillon at the time.  (The turret I got a few years ago.  Got the single stage just recently from Mrgaf)

Sold the Dillon because my friend almost blown us up.  I decided reloading was too dangerous for me so I sold the Dillon to my friend so he could load more/faster (and coincidentally I stopped going to the range with him). 

Yep, I don’t like him that much.  I thought it was a sure way of getting rid of him.  Maui High scum :-)

I’m hoping Mrgaf upgrades and sells me his Dillon.  I should have bought it when he was willing to sell it but I was broke after buying his rifle

Wassup bro...
you might be able to save some $$ and look into the hornady if you want a full progressive for less money. I’ve reloaded on one at my friends house in Alaska and was very impressed with it. Powder drop was accurate and consistent, caliber changes easy and much cheaper, and function was smooth as silk. From what I’ve heard Hornady’s customer service is just as good as Dillon. Good luck! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:24:59 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Lihikai

Re: Dillon 550 or 750
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »
+1 on the Hornady.   About 4 gun shows ago I sold a complete 550b w/45 conversion kit for $100.  It sat on the table for more than half the day before someone bought it.