Trick or treat? Yes or no? (Read 5648 times)

oldfart

Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« on: October 19, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
Do I buy treats for kids this year or not?

I saw 2 moms with kids in Walmart this morning.
We were looking at the Halloween candies.
I asked them if they were going trick or treat.
They both said no.

What's the feeling in your neighborhood?
What, Me Worry?

ren

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
Deeds Not Words

groveler

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »
Do I buy treats for kids this year or not?

I saw 2 moms with kids in Walmart this morning.
We were looking at the Halloween candies.
I asked them if they were going trick or treat.
They both said no.

What's the feeling in your neighborhood?
No.Most all the "kids" in my neighborhood,
ride horses, drive trucks or get taken to a
mall.
Rural Hawaii doesn't have many kids anymore.
Democrats made it too expensive to live here.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
Health Department urges safe Halloween with
household members at home and not trick-or-treating


https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/10/07/hawaii-news/health-department-urges-safe-halloween-with-household-members-at-home/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
How about Trick or Trump? Put a campaign sign in your yard to let fellow Magans know that its okay to send their kids over.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

aieahound

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
We’re buying a bunch of treats for the neighboring kids we see in the street all the time.

But general trick-or-treat hand out. No.

And Halloween is generally a big thing in our neighborhood.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
For Halloween, I'm going as Joe Biden.


I'll be calling a lid on the evening while I hide from questions  Trick or Treaters ...   :sleeping:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:42:15 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

RSN172

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
No one goes trick or treating in my subdivision.  No street lights so it is extremely dark at night.  Almost 100% of the houses have a locked gate.
There are loose dogs and sometimes wild pigs running around.  Also very few houses so it would be a monumental waste of time here.
Happily living in Puna

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
Trick or Treating on our street goes up one year then down the next.  Our houses are close together (Mililani), but only 5 on my side of the street on this block, and only 4 on the other side -- 2 facing us and 2 on the corners facing side streets.  Walking T-or-T parents and kids get little reward for the effort especially since not everyone has their porch light on.

I bought 3 big Costco bags of candy last year.  Even though I had a steady flow of visits from mostly small groups of 1-4 kids, I don't think more than 2/3 of one bag was given out.

I fully expect this to be worse than last year.  I'll get some candy, but only one bag.  If that runs out, oh well!   :geekdanc:

If every year could be slightly consistent, I'd buy plenty for all.  Since it's a guessing game, I'm going to be more conservative rather than have a ton of leftovers ..... again.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Heavies

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
Do I buy treats for kids this year or not?

I saw 2 moms with kids in Walmart this morning.
We were looking at the Halloween candies.
I asked them if they were going trick or treat.
They both said no.

What's the feeling in your neighborhood?



I bought a little bit.  Was going to make goody bags for the neighborhood kids and cousins.  If they come by, they can get free candies while supplys last, if not I bought candies that I like to eat....Reeces cups, and starburst.... :rofl:


I wash my hands and take a bath, should be all g

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
There's a game most little kids love at Halloween parties -- at least when I was in grade school.

Spooky Fishing.  The kid gets handed a stick with a string and clothes pin at the end.  The kid is in front of a hanging sheet with Halloween decorations all over it.

Basically the kids put the line over the top of the sheet, and someone on the other side clips a treat onto it and pulls hard on the string letting the kid know they "caught" something.

I can see this as a fun way to have social distancing/physical separation and not have a bunch of kids' hands reaching into the same bowl of candy all night.  The behind the scenes workers can have masks and gloves, so the candy isn't getting handled.  The poles can be wiped down by the helper on the front side of the sheet with disinfectant wipes.

Just thinking out loud.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »
There's a game most little kids love at Halloween parties -- at least when I was in grade school.

Spooky Fishing.  The kid gets handed a stick with a string and clothes pin at the end.  The kid is in front of a hanging sheet with Halloween decorations all over it.

Basically the kids put the line over the top of the sheet, and someone on the other side clips a treat onto it and pulls hard on the string letting the kid know they "caught" something.

I can see this as a fun way to have social distancing/physical separation and not have a bunch of kids' hands reaching into the same bowl of candy all night.  The behind the scenes workers can have masks and gloves, so the candy isn't getting handled.  The poles can be wiped down by the helper on the front side of the sheet with disinfectant wipes.

Just thinking out loud.

I saw that on the umpteenth rerun of Leave it to Beaver....
Deeds Not Words

RSN172

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
If I was giving out candy, I would get a 8 to 10 ft length of plastic pipe or gutter and have the kids hold their bag at the end and I would  slide the treat to them
Happily living in Puna

QUIETShooter

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »
Since Halloween falls on a Sat. I guess I'll buy some candy just in case a cute little princess or pirate decides to knock at the door, even though we turned off the porch light.

Where I live if Halloween falls on a weeknight there usually is no one trick or treating.  The kids in our neighborhood are mostly grown up and the rest go up to the very end of Mililani Mauka to trick or treat there.  The people up there really get into the spirit where they have block parties and the adults get in on the fun too.

But this year, even though it's a Sat. I think there won't be much of anything.  I'll just buy a couple of bags of snickers and M&M's.

It's what I like to eat if nobody comes trick or treating, lol!! ;)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »
I saw that on the umpteenth rerun of Leave it to Beaver....

I've seen every episode of LITB -- most many times. 

Which episode has this game?   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 02:42:15 AM »
We are going to buy candy. We don’t know if we will get many trick or treaters. But we will have some candy just in case. Our HOA here is encouraging people to decorate our homes so I figure IT’S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 03:09:47 AM »
The fishing game is classic. When I was small kid we did that.
We did it at my sons birthday party.
I don't think it's appropriate for Halloween trick or treating though.

I'm getting the impression that kids are not going to be coming around much.
 How unfortunate.

How sad for the children.
Our state is crippled by fear and politicians >:(
You can't disinfect the whole world.



What, Me Worry?

Tacozfail

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
Like many of you we’re buying a few bags of candy just in case. We plan to make a few goodie bags and then leave them out in case kids come by.  Halloween is usually pretty busy in my neighborhood (Waikele) because we’re surrounded by a bunch of townhomes and our area is a bunch of cul-de-sacs and pretty safe.  In years past people would have shaved ice machines, hot dogs and chili/rice bowls and other good stuff. This year I’m not certain we will see any foot traffic.

My son is a bit disappointed but he gets it. We will be doing outdoor movie night instead.

omnigun

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »
Halloween is canceled for me.  Really unfortunate its on a weekend and if there wasn't covid I would be partying for sure :(

oldfart

Re: Trick or treat? Yes or no?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
I'm going to invite my kids over to grill some burgers and distribute treats to any kids not crippled by fear.
What, Me Worry?