Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated (Read 2049 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:09 AM »
Looks like the Oregon laws to let everyone use hard drugs didn't get implemented in time!   :shake:

Oregon Governor activated the National Guard as Violence erupts in Portland.

Couldn't they wait until after we find out who won?  Sheesh!!   :wacko:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
Some in DC and Portland are chanting it doesn't matter who wins. 

drck1000

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
When I lived in the PNW, there were a bunch of anarchists that would come out of the woods (or wherever they come from) for any chance to start unrest.  I BELIEVE many actually came from California, but eventually settled in Oregon.  At least that's what it was when a bunch of them got arrested during the WTO riots on Seattle. 

Now that actually was some entertaining stuff to watch.  And also a learning experience for some of my coworkers that tear gas can rise rapidly depending on the winds. . .  :rofl:

changemyoil66

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »
Sorry the BG in me is annoyed.  Those guys playing the snare drums are not real drummers.  You don't hold the sticks with overhand grips for both.  1 is overhand, the other is palm up.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
Sorry the BG in me is annoyed.  Those guys playing the snare drums are not real drummers.  You don't hold the sticks with overhand grips for both.  1 is overhand, the other is palm up.

I played marching snare in high school in the late 70s.  We used "match grip" ... both sticks held with the palms down.

When playing and marching, not only does matched grip make it easier to play having both wrists working in unison vs. one making downward motions and the other making upward motions, but it results in a whole lot fewer dropped sticks!   :thumbsup:

I've seen it stated that most percussionists prefer matched grip more than the traditional grip, as it promotes efficiency, quality sound, as well as comfort.

The whole reason the traditional grip was used in the first place was that drums were carried at an angle and to the side, to prevent the drum from banging into the drummer's leg.  When I played, we kept the drumhead pretty flat horizontally, and used a strap and brace to tie the drum to one leg.  That let the drum move with the leg instead of banging into it.

I was lucky that I started percussion the year we switched to matched grip.  The other drummers had to un-learn the traditional grip -- a habit that was hard to break.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
I played marching snare in high school in the late 70s.  We used "match grip" ... both sticks held with the palms down.

When playing and marching, not only does matched grip make it easier to play having both wrists working in unison vs. one making downward motions and the other making upward motions, but it results in a whole lot fewer dropped sticks!   

I've seen it stated that most percussionists prefer matched grip more than the traditional grip, as it promotes efficiency, quality sound, as well as comfort.

The whole reason the traditional grip was used in the first place was that drums were carried at an angle and to the side, to prevent the drum from banging into the drummer's leg.  When I played, we kept the drumhead pretty flat horizontally, and used a strap and brace to tie the drum to one leg.  That let the drum move with the leg instead of banging into it.

I was lucky that I started percussion the year we switched to matched grip.  The other drummers had to un-learn the traditional grip -- a habit that was hard to break.

Was the snare even invented back then? Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Portland, OR, Sees Violence - OR National Guard Activated
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 05:47:28 PM »
Was the snare even invented back then? Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I only played for a year, than was asked to switch to marching xylophone.  First time our school's marching band had bell and xylophone players.

I feel suckered when I see the marching bands now.  The drum line, including the mallet instruments, walk up to the sideline at the 50 yard line and place the instruments on stands!  They don't march the whole performance.  I guess they still need to carry them in parades, but still.    :wtf:

Oh, well.  I needed the exercise!   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw