HAM Radio Frequencies in Hawaii (Read 1276 times)

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
Re: HAM Radio Frequencies in Hawaii
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 02:40:55 AM »
That is great you have a local club out there. It is the fastest way to get up to speed. I want to get involved with our local EARC again as well. It has been way too long and they are a great group of people.

It does not look like I will be able to try hitting the repeaters tonight. Have not used my Windows machine in quite a while and it is taking forever to install updates, including the necessary drivers. Fingers crossed I can get the 7:30 net tomorrow night.
I sent in my dues to the club already. I figure I’ll pass my test as it seems easy enough. I joined the Yavapai Amateur Radio Club. They have a pretty extensive website. They apparently do a lot community work as well. So that will take up some of my free time.

I am an almost complete newbie here. I say almost because I understand the basics of electronics/radios and was involved in CB Radio back in the days when you had to be licensed for it (KFT9387 was my call sign). My brother taught me the basics as a kid. I never bothered getting those kits at Radio Shack to build stuff. I just bought the parts off the shelves and built that stuff myself because my brother taught me everything I needed to know including how to solder. I understand completely it is not the same as HAM Radio. But at least I understand the basics. The big problem for me, like you said, is the lingo, language and etiquette. I know nothing of this sort of thing. So I think it would help tremendously to spend some time with people who are willing to help me learn. In the meantime maybe I can give back a little to the club and the community while I am learning.
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.

robtmc

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 11:11:24 AM »
Part of me wants to load the outer islands repeaters as an excuse to visit more, but for now it is probably best to just load the Oahu stations and get some practice.

Be prepared for a lot of listed repeaters to be silent.   Maui has some great repeaters up on Hleakala, but most seem quiet.   Too bad, as several could be hit from the west side of the BI using a 5W handheld.

Supposed to be several inter-island linked repeaters, but I never really tried that out.

Addendum:  A lot of listed repeaters are going to digital modes, which the Chinese Baofeng type radios cannot connect with.  The coordinated repeaters lis looks like they list digital mode repeaters like ALLSTAR, DMR, DSTAR

Big $$ Japanese handheld for that stuff = learning curve.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:38:53 AM by robtmc »

hvybarrels

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • board waxed - powder dry
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
Be prepared for a lot of listed repeaters to be silent.   Maui has some great repeaters up on Hleakala, but most seem quiet.   Too bad, as several could be hit from the west side of the BI using a 5W handheld.

Supposed to be several inter-island linked repeaters, but I never really tried that out.

Addendum:  A lot of listed repeaters are going to digital modes, which the Chinese Baofeng type radios cannot connect with.  The coordinated repeaters lis looks like they list digital mode repeaters like ALLSTAR, DMR, DSTAR

Big $$ Japanese handheld for that stuff = learning curve.

That is really good to know. HTs will still be good for simplex though so not a total waste of money. Hearing about stuff going digital makes me a bit skeptical because it means more networked computers which creates vulnerabilities.

aletheuo137

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
That is really good to know. HTs will still be good for simplex though so not a total waste of money. Hearing about stuff going digital makes me a bit skeptical because it means more networked computers which creates vulnerabilities.
Back to the old school. Who knows, you end up sending smoke signals next!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

robtmc

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 05:41:57 PM »
aaarrgh  forgot to post the repeater list. 

https://www.hawaiirepeaters.net/coordinated.htm

hvybarrels

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 11:40:02 PM »
aaarrgh  forgot to post the repeater list. 

https://www.hawaiirepeaters.net/coordinated.htm

Wow that is a lot more than I found. Hopefully I can figure out how to put it in a CSV, but will print it out and put it in my bag as a reference list. Thank you very much!

Went to Sunset this afternoon and got rolled pretty good so I am calling it a night and will try again tomorrow.

zippz

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:57 AM »
I just bought a DMR Anytime radio and going to take my technical test.  Going to use the radio for emergencies and hiking.  Looks like there's a few DMR sites scattered around Oahu and outer islands
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

hvybarrels

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »
Back to the old school. Who knows, you end up sending smoke signals next!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

UPGRADE has become one of the most terrifying words in the English language, and when I hear it my first reaction is "Nyet, rifle is fine."

Honestly I do not know a lot about digital radios so they might actually be a really good thing

robtmc

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
Wow that is a lot more than I found. Hopefully I can figure out how to put it in a CSV,
Bottom left button is the xls I think.  They changed the page since I saved it last.
May be some other stuff of interest there.

https://www.hawaiirepeaters.net/

MassConfusion

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
Can I have an eye roll please...

The two things about living under a totalitarian regime is the constant tyranny and absurdity.

After contriving to deplatform conservatives from every tech service and app they could manage, the purge boldly marches on to ham radio.

Cont..
https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/2021/01/after-conservative-deplatforming-purge-moves-ham-daniel-greenfield/
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.”
― Mark Twain