We moved here in April and due to COVID the cable company won’t send technicians out to install cable and landlines because they have to go inside the house to do it. So in order to get TV they gave us a router and I hooked it up and we have been streaming ever since. But I am tired of waiting so we decided to have Dish network installed. They are coming today. Once installed I can cancel Hulu and cut my Internet costs down an additional $60. And hopefully we can avoid all the buffering and crap that goes with streaming.
Anyone else use Dish? Pros? Cons?
Since I'm on the BI in a very rural area there is no cable and no reception of TV I've had Dish TV for over 20 years.
The local Telephone cut a bunch of us off DSL a few years back so my internet is also Dish.
So I will comment on both.
One problem with Satellite is it may fail during heavy rains.
Dish programming package is somewhat irritating in that you have to
fund CNN, MSNBC, et al, even though I NEVER watch them.
Realistically my wife watches only about 5 or 6 channels out of
the two hundred or so available.
If you want more than one channel eg you want to watch the outdoors
channel and the wife wants to watch the food channel at the same time
you'll need a two down converter set-up or two separate antennas.
Internet data is limited to 50 GBytes per month during premium hours
at speeds up to 17 or so Mbits, but can drop down to 2 Mbits or less
for no apparent reason. So no internet streaming of high def video
you have to just download a video and then watch it.
Ping times are high so you have a significant latency if you are playing games.
After all. it is at least 44,000 miles round trip.
If you run Windows definitely shut down auto updates!
it may eat up your monthly allotment without you knowing about it.
TV cost is about $85 per month.
Internet cost is about $80 per month.
It is my understanding that Direct TV
satellite stuff is more expensive with
no difference in service or quality.
Since I can't afford the really good private
stuff it is Dish or not at all.