New Years Food Traditions or Faves - Discuss (Read 827 times)

drck1000

New Years Food Traditions or Faves - Discuss
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
Growing up it was all the pupus my mom made since party on New Year’s Day was at our house. I got to sample. Miss those times...

As adults, ozoni on New Year’s Day is still tradition. Just changed who makes it.

Lately, king crab legs and sashimi are the usuals.

What are your New Years food traditions and faves.

omnigun

Re: New Years Food Traditions or Faves - Discuss
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »
Ozoni, every year.  This year since no gatherings family is coming to pick it up and take it home.

Used to pop fireworks but its too much of a pain in the ass nowdays.

aieahound

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
Roast pork, fried or cake noodles and the Big Red Fish. Uhu or Onaga usually. Stuffed with Lup Chong and cilantro.
What do you think Tamashiro Markets gonna do with social distancing on New Years Eve?
That place gets PACKED.

Funny got our red fish recipe from a local Braddah standing in line for our fish at Tamashiro a few years ago just talking story.
“ I’ve had enough of someone else’s propaganda… I’m for truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it is for or against.”

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
I gotta work >:( :( :(
No party. No catering....nuthin >:(
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
New Year celebrations are great because there is so much wonderful food to try.  Tons of pupus that in itself would make you full.

But in our family circle it usually centers around the following, although we usually don't have every single item every year.  It sorts of rotates.

Red fish.  Sometimes we can score an onaga.  If not, then an ehu.  If all else fails we get a sea bream (Tai snapper).  It usually is slowly simmered in a light soy broth with green scallions and served on a bed of somen noodles and the broth spooned over the fish.

Sashimi. (This is every year.) 

Prime Rib.

Crab legs.

Roast Turkey.  I never get tired eating this.

Kal Bi shortribs.

Korean chicken.

Shrimp Tempura.  we try to look for the biggest fricken shrimp possible.

Portugese Bean Soup.

Then an endless array of pupus like gau gee, lumpia, white crab poke, fish poke, fried or grilled oysters, maki and nigiri sushi, chips here, chips, there, chips everywhere and in all varieties.  Dips of every type imaginable.

Every type of salad ever made in the history of mankind.

And of course the desserts.  Too numerous to mention.  But gotta have that red and green jello dessert with that white cream cheese stuff on a shortbread type crust.

And of course, the ozoni.

This year it's only me and my wife and possibly my live-in youngest daughter and boyfriend.  I'll probably tell my daughter go burn a steak or something for their dinner, lol!  I plan to look for a sea bream and cook that with a light soy broth and somen noodles.

Nuff.  Getting old anyway.  No can eat anykine like before but I still try sometimes, lol!
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 09:00:38 AM »
    We've been stuck on this one for years.

Top grade standing  Prime Rib Roast Med/Rare. Every year I bring a plate off cookies and personally order this special from the butchers in the back at Kailua Foodland  ::)
Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Yorkshire pudding (popover style)
Throw in a couple of Baked potatoes for good measure.
    Recipes below cuz they are worth sharing, especially the Prime Rib one.

PERFECT PRIME RIB EVERYTIME
prime rib roast with or without bone (any size)
bottom round center cut
Preheat oven to 550°F degrees.
Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.
Roast at 550°F at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.
Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.
We usually have to tape the oven door shut and put a chair in front of it cuz the smell will drive you so crazy, you'll want to take a peek. DON'T DO IT:shake: :shake: :shake:
At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect every time.
Works the same with Roast beef. The next time you want an easy hands-off, tender and juicy roast, try this recipe - you won't be disappointed!

Spinach salad with hot bacon dressing
1 bundle of spinach
1 small onion
1 lb of bacon    Save bacon drippings! ( One year I instinctively drained and tossed it  :crazy:, had to make more bacon, which is never a bad thing  :love: )
1/2 c  Sugar
1/4 c Vinegar
Hard boiled eggs

Wash spinach leaves.
Spin dry or pat with paper towel to remove water.
Chop up small onion
Cut bacon in small pieces, Fry bacon(save drippings)
Cut up hard boiled eggs
In a bowl put in  spinach, next put in onions, next sprinkle with bacon.
Next sprinkle with hard boiled eggs.
Make dressing:
use about 1/2 of the bacon grease, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar(if you want tarter you can use a bit more vinegar or sweeter use a bit more sugar) Bring to a boil stirring til thickened.
Gauge by your preference. Taste, Taste, Taste. Add salt and pepper. Taste again. When ready to serve pour over salad and TOSS NOT STIR

Yorkshire Pudding Recipe
•   Yield: Serves 6. I usually quadruple this  :D
Add to shopping list
Ingredients
•   1 cup flour
•   1/2 teaspoon salt
•   1 cup milk
•   2 Tbsp melted butter
•   2 eggs, beaten*
•   2-4 Tbsp of roast drippings
Method
1 Sift together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Form a well in the center. Add the milk, melted butter, and eggs and beat until the batter is completely smooth (no lumps), the consistency of whipping cream. Let sit for an hour.
2 Heat oven to 450°F. Add roast drippings to a 9x12-inch pyrex or ceramic casserole dish, coating the bottom of the dish. Heat the dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
For a popover version you can use a popover pan or a muffin pan, putting at least a teaspoon (I go Heavy) of drippings in the bottom of each well, and place in oven for just a couple minutes.
3 Carefully pour the batter into the pan (or the wells of muffin/popover pans, filling just 1/3 full), once the pan is hot. Cook for 15 minutes at 450°F, then reduce the heat to 350°F and cook for 15 to 20 more minutes, until puffy and golden brown.
Cut into squares to serve.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:05:42 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
One that I’ve revived was fish cake that my grandma used to make for New Years, as well as here and there. It was one of my faves. Luckily I moved home with enough time to hang out with her and watch her prepare Sunday dinners. She was a “cook by feel” person, so had to watch. Wish I had more time to to absorb other dishes. I’ve tried some and can get close, but not quite the same. My small way of keeping her memory alive.

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
Rocky's prime rib technique works with turkey also
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
One that I’ve revived was fish cake that my grandma used to make for New Years, as well as here and there. It was one of my faves. Luckily I moved home with enough time to hang out with her and watch her prepare Sunday dinners. She was a “cook by feel” person, so had to watch. Wish I had more time to to absorb other dishes. I’ve tried some and can get close, but not quite the same. My small way of keeping her memory alive.
You forgot to add the "Love".   :love:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 03:05:46 PM »
We always had ozoni but other than that I don't think we had any special dishes we would eat, just our families standard potluck food.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
You forgot to add the "Love".   :love:
Yeah. It’s around this time that I miss my family more. Lots of memories of coming back “home” on vacations, as well as loss of family members around this time of year. I didn’t realize just how much the traditions, particularly the food, would leave such an impression on my when I was younger.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 10:14:31 AM »
Interesting so many folks who mentioned ozoni. No mentions of lucky soba and other dishes that friends have introduced me to over the year.

The red fish, usually menpachi, with somen was something that my grandma made every so often as well.

My dad used to make kalua pig in his kamado every New Year. I started making in the same kamado as well, but not for the past couple of years. Will have to start that back up again.

Tom_G

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »
As a proper Southern Boy, black-eyed peas are essential for New Year's Day.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 10:31:41 PM »

I ate Black-eyed Peas every New Year's Day until I went to college.  My luck actually improved after that.

Maybe passing up the collard greens deactivated the luck of the peas?    >:D

Regardless, I believe it's bad luck to be superstitious.   :geekdanc:
Surely Not Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting.

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 04:12:24 AM »
When I was a kid we grew up being allowed a glass of wine on New Year’s Eve. As well as that we had all types of crackers and hard salami and cheese. And for dinner we had my hanai father’s famous tacos. They were delicious but nothing close to authentic Mexican style. Haole style is what I’ll call them. Then on New Years Day we solved puzzles and ate leftover tacos. But the one tradition I never did partake in until I was an adult was my hanai father opening up a package of Limburger cheese. Which stunk up the whole house for a couple of hours.  :rofl:

After becoming an adult and getting married to an Hispanic gal my tradition changed to menudo and tamales. It was the tradition in her parents home to make the tamales all day and then eat them and get stupid drunk New Years Eve. That is a whole other story. After that my current wife and I have kept up the tamale tradition until we moved to the islands in 2008. After that it was prime rib for dinner and snacking all day the next day. But this being our fist year back on the mainland we went the tamale route again and I suppose we will continue with tamales from now on.
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:00 AM »
I made Hoppin John stew to celebrate new years. Black eye peas is a main ingredient of Hoppin John.
I am a southern boy as well.
 My family is from the South......of Maui.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 07:02:07 AM »
I'm a northern boy, from north shore on Oahu.

We love peas too.  We make guisantes: pork with peas.  ;)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

groveler

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 07:03:50 AM »
I normally do crab, clams and lobster and a bottle of Chardonnay.
On the big island there is a place where we can buy all those live.
There was a West coast Crab fisheries strike that did not get settled
in time to get crab this year.
So we settled for local caught Ono, live clams, and PuPu's.

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
my dad always makes Portuguese bean soup.  has 3 kinds of beans, he uses ham shanks instead of ham hocks (more meat), of course plenty sausage
best Portuguese bean soup I've tasted.  then we have left overs for a couple days

aletheuo137

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
I'm a northern boy, from north shore on Oahu.

We love peas too.  We make guisantes: pork with peas.  ;)
Fillipino heritage? My mother in law called it peas and pimento!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:21:47 PM by aletheuo137 »